I managed to access both boxes on an 'organised visit' during the 1970s - a wonderful place to visit. Somewhere I have a very few slides - if only we had digital cameras then, as film was relatively expensive for penniless <g> students and so used sparingly...... Many years later, in the course of scavenging for S&T 'spares' for a heritage railway, I acquired one of the brass 'lever leads' from Newton Abbot East amongst a 'job lot' of miscellaneous items :-)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully some uploading is now possible so here are a few pics to illustrate some of what we have already looked at. Apologies in advance for the quality (lack of) in some of the b&w shots but they are oldish scans off some fairly ancient negatives (and Tri-X negs at that via my first 35mm camera with a none too good lens). All are my original photos and copyright.

First an interesting signal at Reading which shows a stop arm (Up Main Line Home) bracketed out from the Down Main Starter with the splitting distants for Reading West Main - all of the latter having sightboards to provide a better background for sighting the signals.

post-6859-0-47061000-1325502793_thumb.jpg

Now another stop signals - Newquay's Platform 1 Starter - with a Backing Arm bracketed off it to read to the 'wrong' road to enable certain shunting moves. If this signal had been renewed after the 1950 changes it would be an ordinary straight post with a co-located (or possibly post mounted on a small bracket) shunting disc signal.

post-6859-0-47467600-1325503526_thumb.jpg

Another from the Newquay branch, this time the Down Home at Bugle (sorry about the lean - taken from a moving train) showing the old arrangement of the type of arm and mounting for a facing movement reading to a siding. By the late1920s this would have been done with a full size bracket and a 3ft arm instead of the centre pivot and late pre-war/early post war it could also be done using a disc instead of a semaphore arm depending on the purpose of the movement and subsequently it would almost certainly have been done using a co-located disc.

post-6859-0-53717200-1325503888.jpg

Here a standard Goods Line 'ringed arm - the front this time! This is at the GWS Didcot and was taken, with permission during an official visit to look at the signalling equipment.

post-6859-0-55355000-1325504141_thumb.jpg

This is rather unusual - or was becoming increasingly so at the time of this 1964 (rather poor quality) picture as it shows a splitting Goods Line signal with, to the left, the very old pattern of 'Goods Line to Siding' miniature arm - also of course with a ring.

post-6859-0-28939500-1325504344.jpg

And now a genuine GWR Calling On arm in original painting style - also at GWS Didcot.

post-6859-0-87519900-1325504202.jpg

And finally a truly unique (unless you know different) Backing Signal - yet again on the Newquay branch - which was a veritable signalling wonderland even in the mid 1960s. This must have been the tallest Backing Signal ever erected by the GWR and most unusually it also has a 4 ft arm - almost certainly for sighting and visibility reasons against the sky background; not so readily visible is the route indicator lower down the post.

post-6859-0-10832800-1325504546.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

" this 1964 (rather poor quality) picture ....shows a splitting Goods Line signal with, to the left, the very old pattern of 'Goods Line to Siding' miniature arm..."

Where was that taken please?

Bodmin Road - of course (and I say 'of course' because in many ways that view hasn't changed all that much although the track layout has a bit and the shrubbery has grown rather unchecked in places, mind you you do need to have known it back then to still readily recognise the place today)

• RMweb Gold

Well, I went via the Withered Arm and there was so much else to see on the way........ :sungum:

It breaks my heart to add this - so it will vanish from this thread in no more than 24 hours from now - by which time you will have identified the location (in the land of the Withered Arm of course) I'm sure

post-6859-0-05948700-1325683826.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2

I hope everyone had a great Christmas. I have to say a massive thank you to everyone that has contributed to this thread, especially the stationmaster. I personally think the book would be a great idea ;-)

I'll try to upload a more detailed diagram of the layout soon. Stationmaster is it OK for me to copy and paste everything into a single word document so i have a hard copy in the highly probable case that my internet decides not to work :)

• RMweb Gold

I hope everyone had a great Christmas. I have to say a massive thank you to everyone that has contributed to this thread, especially the stationmaster. I personally think the book would be a great idea ;-)

I'll try to upload a more detailed diagram of the layout soon. Stationmaster is it OK for me to copy and paste everything into a single word document so i have a hard copy in the highly probable case that my internet decides not to work :)

Quite ok but it would only be for your personal use as the photos are my copyright (and the words are mine too of course although i am happy to share both on here).

"It breaks my heart to add this - so it will vanish from this thread in no more than 24 hours from now - by which time you will have identified the location (in the land of the Withered Arm of course) I'm sure..."

It looks remarkably like Boscarne Junction:-)

Actually, one of those places which I have studied quite a lot recently, with a view to a possible model....... In which context, what - if anything - might you know please about the date whenever the Western Region changed the Wadebridge - Bodmin direction from being 'down' to 'up'?

Quite ok but it would only be for your personal use as the photos are my copyright (and the words are mine too of course although i am happy to share both on here).

I can guarantee it will only be for personal use :) cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

"It breaks my heart to add this - so it will vanish from this thread in no more than 24 hours from now - by which time you will have identified the location (in the land of the Withered Arm of course) I'm sure..."

It looks remarkably like Boscarne Junction:-)

Actually, one of those places which I have studied quite a lot recently, with a view to a possible model....... In which context, what - if anything - might you know please about the date whenever the Western Region changed the Wadebridge - Bodmin direction from being 'down' to 'up'?

It is indeed Boscarne Junction. I don't know when they changed the directions of Up & Down by probably when the North Cornwall Line was closed - alas I haven't got any SA amendments for the are for that period but you know a man who might have them (JH).

Unless there are any objections - seeing as some folk liked it - I shall reprieve the LSWR 'thing' allowing time for folk to object to its removal :lol:

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Resurrecting this old thread to ask if anyone can tell me what I'd need to model this signal for my layout.I think its a square post bracket but my signalling knowledge is basic.With ready to use signals becoming a possibility now it might be a easy option for my platform.There are no prizes for knowing its location. :mosking:

post-126-0-52255600-1333893038.jpg

• RMweb Gold

That one is tubular steel Robin but a little bit of delving suggests that there was signal in bracket form there in 1937 although it would not have been tubular steel but would have had a wooden post and doll and timber arms. I'm not sure if MSE do parts for the timber posts which were, of course, tapered, although it could be adapted from a Ratio kit if you don't object to having a plastic signal.

And working purely from guesswork with the arms at those relative elevations I'm guessing that it would originally have been a right hand bracket structure. In other words it would, I think, have looked a bit like this but with a right hand bracket and without the lower arm distant.

post-6859-0-26804100-1333900205.jpg

PS and not so tall!

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Resurrecting this old thread to ask if anyone can tell me what I'd need to model this signal for my layout.I think its a square post bracket but my signalling knowledge is basic.With ready to use signals becoming a possibility now it might be a easy option for my platform.There are no prizes for knowing its location. :mosking:

I thought ratio did a kit very similar to this?

• 2 months later...

Stationmaster - I have been monstrously impressed by the help you have given the original enquirer to this thread!

I have modelled a layout taken from a Peco Setrack Planbook - or rather a section of a plan. I have scratched my head a lot trying to work out what signals should go where.

Would you, and the other contributors, be prepared to have a go at marking up the plan for me, in GWR style?

Posted in hope...

Rick

• RMweb Gold

Stationmaster - I have been monstrously impressed by the help you have given the original enquirer to this thread!

I have modelled a layout taken from a Peco Setrack Planbook - or rather a section of a plan. I have scratched my head a lot trying to work out what signals should go where.

Would you, and the other contributors, be prepared to have a go at marking up the plan for me, in GWR style?

Posted in hope...

Rick

Happy to do so but bung it on so others can share. But a word of caution - and I don't know what it's like so I might be damning it sight unseen - a lot of 'model railway' track plans are very difficult to signal properly because the designer was planning a 'model railway' rather than a 'model of a railway'. But don't be put off by that - put up a sketch and I'll have a go and as you've used a part of a plan it might wotrk out far better?

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Reopening this topic after nearly five years, I would be grateful for expert eyes to be cast over my layout signalling plans.....

Penhafod Upper is a P4 layout based on a Taff Vale Railway branch terminus in the late 1950s. The branch was built to serve a small colliery, unusually located at the top of the hill rather than in the valley.

post-14375-0-14520700-1492897988_thumb.png

This is my first stab at the locking table, so any comments gratefully received...

post-14375-0-37946200-1492898060.png

Just in case you are wondering if this is a pipe dream layout... here is the progress so far (mind you it was in this state when first assembled in 1978!)

post-14375-0-86876700-1492900130.jpg

The layout will be fully signalled and interlocked. 'Trehafod North Junction' at the bottom of the 1:50 gradient, is actually a fiddle yard: (apologies for the orientation, I can't seem to rotate it..)

post-14375-0-14344400-1492900794_thumb.jpg

Tony Hagon

• Like 3