cement wagons

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could help with this question.

I'm planning on installing a small cement terminal on my layout (similar to the one in Walsall), and I'm investigating the sort of tank wagons I could use and that are available in model form.

I know Bachmann are planning to release some bogie cement wagons, but I'm actually after the 4-wheel non-vee versions (PCA) without the bottom discharge doors.

Does anyone know if these exist, or if there are any models that could be modified for this use ? The old Ketton tank wagons by Lima could fit the bill if I respray them the correct colour (ie white) and weather them appropriately.

Thanks

Mike

The 51L kit is very good and well researched. There are a few threads and photos of completed ones on the old rmweb.

For older wagons it just depends on whether you demand accuracy or not really. There are older presflos or wait for the new Bachmann presflos due out in the new year, ideal for a small cement layout. However these were out of service during the 80s so if set later you couldn't really get away with it.

There are a few older Hornby and I think some Lima wagons of the PCA range without the depressed Vee, that could be turned into nice wagons with a little effort: Hornby PCA RMC livery

hth

I'm building a cement layout for the 2010 comp. Would like to see more of your layout plans if poss.

• RMweb Premium

Darren Sherwood of Model Rail, did a conversion of the PCA Vee tanks into a round topped version - they still retain the depressed lower section, so would probably still have the lower discharge pipes.

I believe Darren produced a drawing template so that you could easily make the section of plastcard to fill in the upper vee sestion, finished off with some careful filling/filing.

As posted above, the 51L tanks are good but pricey - if you only want a few, then go for those. However, note that not all cement producers use identical wagons - for example, the new Bachmann JPA's that Castle (now Hanson) and Lafarge use are the same wagon, but the discharge gear is different.

Cheers,

Mick

Archived