Ballynahinch Junction in OO

Patrick Davey

• 2 months later...

I recently bought a book on the Belfast & County Down after seeing your pictures. It looks an eminently modellable subject, yet not well known in the UK, which is a great shame.

Ballynahinch Junction looks like every modeller's dream. A simple layout with interesting workings and stock.

I just wish I had discovered all this a long time ago!

Richard,

Ballygrainey was a nice small station, most of which still exists. I was looking at it from the road in January. The main house is in good conditon and has been extended and the low building towards the bridge is still there. The bridge and the access road to the cattle dock from the other side of the bridge are all in place. The owner seems to run a removals business since nearly the entire paltform area is filled up with 20ft containers and a wriggly tin monstrosity has been constructed below the bridge. However there was a For Sale on display, in case you are interested, so beware in case some developer flattens the place and builds holiday homes on top of it; i.e. if you want to take some measurements do it soon! I might have a few photographs from the road, if I can upload them.

Regards

£1.38

You are right, the BCDR was a very characteristic railway. I have big ambitions to model parts of the it, so if you can wait some years I plan to prepare some etches for the standard wagons and 4-4-2 and 2-4-2 tanks.Before that I have promised to have a go at an etch for the 1A-A1 Harlandic diesel no.28, which graced so many railway companies.

Regards

Before that I have promised to have a go at an etch for the 1A-A1 Harlandic diesel no.28, which graced so many railway companies.

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on this task, it would be great if you could detail its development on this site.

i knw the fella who lives in it and its a right mess to be honest

i have alot of pictures of the site and the platform sizes and just trying to puzzle it all together as there is only one picture of it in its hayday so its a guessing game,,i have the track nailed bridge in place station and knw waiting on a peco country station and then build and modify to suit me

as far as rolling stock ive bought a triang Hornby 0-6-0 and will repaint it green and a few marron lms coaches

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

I'm pleased to say that my OO gauge model of Ballynahinch Junction is now located in the magnificent new carriage gallery at DCDR in Downpatrick, where it is going to feature as part of the exhibits there.

Many thanks to DCDR for facilitating the move - the model is in a temporary location to allow further work to be done before it moves into the BCDR Royal Saloon for permanent exhibition.

• 3 months later...

Work has been progressing on my OO gauge model of the former BCDR station at Ballynahinch Junction and I would even be so brave as to say it's probably finished, at least as far as my own meagre talents allow! Attached are some of the latest photos taken today after a marathon work session at Downpatrick, where the model is shortly to go on display in the magnificent new carriage gallery. The model will be located in a highly appropriate location - inside the former BCDR Royal Saloon. Many thanks to the great team at Downpatrick for giving the model a home. Here is a link to some more of the recent photos:

http://www.facebook....=1&l=99011f76d4

Many thanks to Colm Flanagan who kindly lent me his excellent BCDR models to run on the layout.

post-13876-0-93046600-1343246831_thumb.jpg

post-13876-0-25053300-1343246846_thumb.jpg

post-13876-0-73962800-1343246859_thumb.jpg

post-13876-0-00602500-1343246887_thumb.jpg

post-13876-0-96686200-1343246903_thumb.jpg

post-13876-0-53417100-1343246930_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my new Facebook page about my Ballynahinch Junction model:

http://www.facebook.com/ballynahinchjunction1950

There is extensive photographic content on the page, detailing the construction of the layout as well as historical and contemporary photographs of the station and the BCDR's Ballynahinch branch.

Feel free to drop in, check it out and give it a 'like'! The layout is now on display in Downpatrick's amazing new carriage gallery - definitely worth a visit.

Many thanks,

Patrick

• 10 months later...

Archived