What is good (& bad!) in US outline 0 scale?

Allegheny1600

Nice! I didn't know MTH even does 2-rail locos; I was under the impression it was all 3-rail..?!?

Hello Jack,

I've found the MTH website: http://www.mth-railking.com/ploc.asp and the product locator (i think!), although it may be better to download the current catalogue than search through the product listing as it's HUGE!!!!

What confuses me is all the different product lines, all under the MTH roof!

I certainly found that the (much) more modern models (of modern prototypes!) are quite compatable with conventianal DCC (c.28 functions would do for me!), they even have trucks that can be converted to 2 rail easily(?)(according to the bumff!).

However, as Paul (Error02) said earlier - i think it's best to stick with Atlas 2 rail as i like my diesels and i like them well detailed!

Cheers,

John E.

all MTH catalog numbers that end on XX-XXXX -2 are 2-rail. I run both DCC and DCS. I have some Atlas locomotives and have to say (also for MTH) that there is somewhere a problem with those twin vertical motors. With Atlas it requires a lot of DCC settings to CHANGE to get them run smoothly. Not to forget the extra trouble when creating lashups.

The switchers however with one horizontal motor run almost smoothly straight from the box.

The thing I like about MTH is the simplicity of the programming. Creating a lashup is peanuts compared with DCC. The locomotives run AUTOMATICALLY at the same speed. MTH has also a more diversity on its models compared to Atlas that makes more repaints of the same models. all my freight cars are Atlas.

Paul

• 8 months later...

Hi guys,

I know it's a long time since i wrote anything here so first of all, many thanks indeed for all of your helpful replies, they really helped me!

I never did get around to doing anything in US 0 scale and thought that i must have had one of my passing phases that i go through every now and then. All thoughts of modelling US 0 had passed from my mind until i helped a friend out with his 0n30 layout the other week, dangerous especially since i knew he was selling up!

Anyway, i came away from that show somewhat poorer as i cannot resist a bargin and a sweet little loco to boot!

post-6892-032235400 1286731775_thumb.jpg

So here she is, my first US 0 scale diesel loco!

Actually she's 0n30 - narrow gauge, something i've usually shied away from as being to 'cutsie' but this one, i like!!

She's a Plymouth 0-4-0 switcher made by AMS (American Model Supply), part of Accucraft and constructed from brass and stainless steel, DCC ready and all lights fitted and working, even the small class lights. A great runner even on analog!

Now all i have to do is get some decals on and a fair old bit of weathering as she is definately bright!!

Cheers Y'all,

John E.

• 1 month later...

Hi Pete

I can heartly recommend P&D hobbies who have a great web site. Other very good 2 rail dealers are Ted at Rails Unlimited and Ron at Des Plaines Hobbies. Bob at AM Hobbies does 2 and 3 rail as does Len at Deichmanns Depot.

Colin

I've been browsing around US O Scale stuff over here. Most stores only seem to stock 3-Rail - which is a big market. The online stuff is frustrating in that often I cannot discern whether something is 2 or 3 rail.

Best, Pete.

• 6 years later...

The Gilmaur Dash 8-40CW is alive and well. I am currently putting together the latest test build with the plan that the kit will be available towards the end of the year/ early next. If anyone is interested in the a kit PM me as I am compiling an expression of interest for Mike Calvert. The kit is etched brass and designed for a weaver drive system. Trucks will be available, prices to be finalised.

Colin

Archived