Railway footage in feature films and television...

It kinda falls in this bracket, but has the Vodafone advert been mentioned yet? (I did a quick search but couldn't find it on here)

Non-aircon mk2 stock by the looks of it so guessing a preserved line was used rather than national network!

2 things though; firstly, does it bug the ###### out of anyone else that judging by the scenery out the windows he is walking towards the front of the train, but at the end he's in the window at the rear? Continuity has failed a bit there! And secondly which station is that at the end?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 73c said:

Fairly certain it's Horsted Keynes with the semaphore arms cgi'ed out.

They missed the down starter on platform 5...

There's a sizeable embankment over the loading dock and carriage sheds in the old goods yard...

I don't think the Bluebell has any Mark 2s either...

Edited by talisman56

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Has anyone mentioned the (only partially surviving) Ghost Train of 1931?

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-the-ghost-train-1931-online

The opening scenes are of Camerton and the climactic scene shows the swing span of Barmouth Bridge opening and Dean Goods 2441 very convincingly plunging into the waters of the Mawddach.

The latter scene  was re-used in the 1941 version with Arthur Askey.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 2

On 23/02/2019 at 21:46, 73c said:

Fairly certain it's Horsted Keynes with the semaphore arms cgi'ed out.

On 23/02/2019 at 22:59, Satan's Goldfish said:

Just Google earthed it, yes that looks right, thank you, a lot of CGI removing all the stock alongside the station too!

Looks like the train is coming into the station from the north, but they have flipped the image left-to-right. Only way it explains the roof profile to the station building.

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

Has anyone mentioned the (only partially surviving) Ghost Train of 1931?

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-the-ghost-train-1931-online

The opening scenes are of Camerton and the climactic scene shows the swing span of Barmouth Bridge opening and Dean Good 2441 very convincingly plunging into the waters of the Mawddach.

The latter scene  was re-used in the 1941 version with Arthur Askey.

It's a pity so little survives of the original. I have watched the later version, but Arthur Askey is soooo annoying. The only good thing about it is the railway sequences.

• Agree 1

On 29/03/2019 at 09:21, Bishop of Welchester said:

It's a pity so little survives of the original. I have watched the later version, but Arthur Askey is soooo annoying. The only good thing about it is the railway sequences.

Yes. I saw it when it was on a few months ago and Arthur Askey's antics made it almost unwatchable- every scene had be about him. Though he was very well before my time It's only in the past few years that people seem to have stopped  persisting with that really annoying Ay-Thang-Yaw catchphrase (I suppose "stupid boy" and "Listen carefully I shall say zis only once" are just as dated now) 

The railway stuff was interesting if completely improbable- the idea of a swing bridge being operated from a station a mile or so away and out of sight?

Edited by Pacific231G
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 16:15, 4069 said:

The tunnel and junction is Salisbury Tunnel Junction, the through station with the long straight platforms and concrete footbridge is Grateley, and "Seahaven" is Hastings. Not sure about the carriage sidings.

Amazing to see my former home station Grateley in those including the windmill for pumping water out of the well.

The carriage sidings is Clapham Jn yard seen from approximately where the road entrance to the yard is located now with the NR DU office on the right, that shed was demolished in the 1980's ....................

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

The carriage sidings is Clapham Jn yard seen from approximately where the road entrance to the yard is located now with the NR DU office on the right, that shed was demolished in the 1980's ....................

Thanks. I wondered about Clapham Yard, but I don't remember that shed well enough to be certain.

Another Talking Pics TV film on a short while ago "Jigsaw" starring Jack Warner as yet another policeman. Shot around Brighton, Saltdean and Lewes with a few railway shots in it. Brighton station is very recognizable as is Lewes. Not sure where the pic of the Standard tank was taken though

PDVD_000.jpg

PDVD_003.jpg

PDVD_005.jpg

PDVD_009.jpg

PDVD_010.jpg

PDVD_013.jpg

PDVD_014.jpg

PDVD_016.jpg

• Like 2

On 29/03/2019 at 09:21, Bishop of Welchester said:

The only good thing about it is the railway sequences.

Not really - the train the protagonists travel on changes so many times it's like watching an episode of Great British Railway Journeys!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

Not really - the train the protagonists travel on changes so many times it's like watching an episode of Great British Railway Journeys!

OK, the continuity is abysmal, but it's still the best part of the film.

On 29/03/2019 at 11:48, lmsforever said:

My wifes late uncle wrote all  Askeys material maybe another writer did the film lines Askey was a very funny man of his time and had a style all of his own.

The dialogue in 'The Ghost Train' was written by Marriott Edgar and Val Guest, who previously wrote 'Oh Mr Porter'.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've just watched the film of John Le Carré's The Looking Glass War (1970). A still photo of a railway yard, supposedly in East Germany, provides the pretext for the mission because it shows what might be part of a missile. If any of the secret service personnel had been trainspotters, they might have had cause to doubt the authenticity of the picture as the loco in it was a Class 37.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
On 30/03/2019 at 15:48, RJS1977 said:

The dialogue in 'The Ghost Train' was written by Marriott Edgar and Val Guest, who previously wrote 'Oh Mr Porter'.

And the play on which the film is based was written by Arnold Ridley, aka Private Godfrey in Dad’s Army.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

Was rewatching the BBC series "Pie in the Sky" recently.

Episode 3 of Series 1 (from 1994) had the characters go up to London to source food for the restaurant. Leaving 'Middleton' station, with a NSE sign the train to London was shown as a four car DMU in blue/grey livery - I assume Class 115 as the front end looked like one and they were in 4-car sets. Travelling back they were initially in a NSE liveried 319 EMU, but when they decided to upgrade themselves from the cramped standard (or was it still second?) class to first, they ended up in what looked like a Mk1 compartment.

Nice work from the continuity department :-)

• Funny 1

There's a brief but rather nice view of Paddington in a 1964 episode of 'Dangerman' which I watched the other night, a Bentley Continental Flying Spur drives down the taxi ramp at the country end of platform 8 with a rake of maroon and choc & cream stock behind it.