Railway footage in feature films and television...

• 3 months later...

Another film recorded off Talking Pictures TV at the weekend. For Those in Peril, a wartime film about the RAF rescue launches picking up downed pilots during WWII. Near the beginning though is a short section of railway footage featuring a Southern 2 car EMU 2BIL I presume, arriving at a station somewhere on the south coast. There is a clearer view of the signal post so I'll try to get that but my screen grab software isn't really compatible with windows 10

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, jetmorgan said:

Another film recorded off Talking Pictures TV at the weekend. For Those in Peril, a wartime film about the RAF rescue launches picking up downed pilots during WWII. Near the beginning though is a short section of railway footage featuring a Southern 2 car EMU 2BIL I presume, arriving at a station somewhere on the south coast. There is a clearer view of the signal post so I'll try to get that but my screen grab software isn't really compatible with windows 10

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

Looks like Newhaven, where there was an Air Sea Rescue station.

Edit - it is Newhaven according to Wikipedia - debut film for director Charles Crichton who went on to direct “The Lavender Hill Mob”, “The Titfield Thunderbolt” and “A Fish Called Wanda”.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Looks like Newhaven, where there was an Air Sea Rescue station.

Edit - it is Newhaven according to Wikipedia - debut film for director Charles Crichton who went on to direct “The Lavender Hill Mob”, “The Titfield Thunderbolt” and “A Fish Called Wanda”.

Cheers

Darius

Definitely Newhaven Town - just from looking at it and no need to look on Reelstreets. (Although that is one place where it doesn't appear but still a very useful website)

https://www.reelstreets.com/films-archive/?ap=numeric

• 2 weeks later...

I was re-watching the Euston Films six part series 'Out' this week and in the last episode, broadcast on 28th August 1978, there's a glimpse of a 33 hauled freight crossing the Thames at Battersea. The series was filmed in November and December '77 and almost everything looks very bleak and run down, a stark contrast to many parts of London these days.

• Like 1

Talking TV had Double Confession 1950, opening few minutes saw 45097 with W789 above smoke box number and British Railways on the tender. Filming location's listed as Bexhill on Sea and Hastings.

• Like 1

A couple of postings this evening have reminded me I'm a few years overdue to note a 1957 film called 'The Smallest Show on Earth'.  I don't think I'm duplicating any previous report on here.  I found this film reference while researching detail for an Uxbridge Vine Street layout and an Uxbridge tram diorama.  Other railway locations feature, including Kilburn and places around the Potteries.

https://www.reelstreets.com/films/smallest-show-on-earth-the/

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Just watched the Christmas Special of Call the Midwife and they are off to the Hebrides!   Night time shot of the silloutte of something continental over a very un British viaduct, a GWR 2-6-2T then seen hauling a few crimson/cream Mk1's (coach interior shots not matching whatsoever of course!) and then they arrive at Mallaig, looks more like somewhere on the NYMR to me but at least they made the effort to put a Mallaig totem sign on the building, just a pity it was in Southern Region green....

Idiots!!!

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Just watched the Christmas Special of Call the Midwife and they are off to the Hebrides!   Night time shot of the silloutte of something continental over a very un British viaduct, a GWR 2-6-2T then seen hauling a few crimson/cream Mk1's (coach interior shots not matching whatsoever of course!) and then they arrive at Mallaig, looks more like somewhere on the NYMR to me but at least they made the effort to put a Mallaig totem sign on the building, just a pity it was in Southern Region green....

Idiots!!!

Dark Green 6 wheel coaches is what I saw.

5643 was the loco on the Crimson/Cream rake, so probably Embsay & Bolton.

Just watched Paddington 2 with the "chase" scene with Tornado on the Belmond Pullman and a train with load of vans as a "circus train"

Not badly done.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Dark Green 6 wheel coaches is what I saw.

5643 was the loco on the Crimson/Cream rake, so probably Embsay & Bolton.

Just watched Paddington 2 with the "chase" scene with Tornado on the Belmond Pullman and a train with load of vans as a "circus train"

Not badly done.

I missed most of Paddington 2 (drat!) but saw it from some way into the the prison break sene so did see that bit and I agree, it was great fun.

I've just watched Rome Express from 1933 on Talking Pictures with Conrad Veight being suitably evil. Some very nice shots of PLM locos etc. and a good amount of authentic CIWL stuff, both sleepers and particularly the restaurant car and its kitchen. I didn't notice anything wrong in railway terms except that the Italian scenes were still in France.

The Orient-Express is mysterious,
the Train Bleu is chic,
the Sud-Express is dignified,
but the Rome-Express is majestic.
George Behrend

Edited by Pacific231G

• RMweb Premium

I still think some of the Hogwarts Express scenes are some of the greatest shots ever. Sweeping images of the beautiful English and Scottish countryside. Making Glenfinnan one of the most famous viaducts one the world, with the beautiful loch on the background. To my eye anyways.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Idiots!!!

I was made to endure that too. I feel I did a very good job of holding my tongue during the shots of their trip north! Tbh Mrs sg would have thrown stuff at me if I'd started pointing out inaccuracies.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, eldomtom2 said:

Excellent bit of "How they did it"

I assumed that Tornado was filmed at speed on a line somewhere and the rest added, but it seems there wasn't even a railway!

Even the bear was fake, sob!:jester:

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, melmerby said:

Excellent bit of "How they did it"

I assumed that Tornado was filmed at speed on a line somewhere and the rest added, but it seems there wasn't even a railway!

Even the bear was fake, sob!:jester:

It's funny, I could accept a talking bear but the train stuff was much harder for me to believe. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

The Xmas day Call the Midwife featured some incredibly bad railway shots.  The cast were travelling from London to Mallaig, so the producers chose some shots that looked like it was the African Veldt then a GWR Prairie tank on some preserved line.  Considering the hours of footage of the Jacobite that exist, why was this not used, it would have been far more authentic.

Jim

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

The Xmas day Call the Midwife featured some incredibly bad railway shots.  The cast were travelling from London to Mallaig, so the producers chose some shots that looked like it was the African Veldt then a GWR Prairie tank on some preserved line.  Considering the hours of footage of the Jacobite that exist, why was this not used, it would have been far more authentic.

Jim

Already mentioned a few posts up along with the carriage interior not matching the incorrect for the period liveried Mk1's and the final icing clanger on the cake, the Mallaig station sign totem in Southern Region green...

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Jim

Mentioned last Friday

The first train IMHO was of 6 wheel dark green coaches, somewhere foreign.

The GWR loco wasn't a prairie it was 5643, presumably at Embsay & Bolton and there wouldn't have been any Crimson & Cream coaches in 1964, when it was set.

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/12/2019 at 23:26, CloggyDog said:

The stock was definitely East German (DR) rekowagen and I think the loco was a Br38 (Prussian P8 4-6-0)

I thought about old German stock but I'm not very knowledgable on such things, they look like what's in the Roco/Fleischmann ranges.

This sort of thing:

240200.jpg

Edited by melmerby