Railway footage in feature films and television...

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, jetmorgan said:

Okay it has been a long time to quiote this post but I managed to get another picture of the car and passenger ferry at Kingswear

PDVD_098.jpg

The design is exactly the same today. The float and the 'Hauley' tugs were replaced with new I guess about 30 years ago.

On 16/06/2020 at 16:17, Padishar Creel said:

Hallo,

This is stretching the topic name. ZDF is a German TV station and Heute is their news programme.

On my Facebook feed today, recomnendations for physical distancing in various countries and at 22secs the graphic used is a Class47

es grüßt 

pc

But a class 47 is 2.69m wide, so if those two stood i.5 m apart to let one through what was left of them wouldn't have to worry about coronavirus.

• Funny 1

Not sure if it's been mentioned on this thread (I don't remember seeing it noted), but I recently saw The ABC Murders, with John Malkovich as Poirot. Whilst I enjoyed its take on the story as a whole (Poirot as a has-been, tortured by his past, in a much darker, meaner rendition of the 1930s than is usual), I was very sceptical of the railway interior shots in what looked like a 1st Gen DMU, and the chase across the approaches of Paddington(?) was just silly, as depicted. Couldn't they at least have found a colour light signal to CGI that wasn't one of these?

On 16/06/2020 at 21:44, keefer said:

at the end of an episode of 'Endeavour' last night, the perpetrator was running through fields and when about to be caught, stopped on what looked like a farm crossing (with boom gates though) and decided he wasn't going to be taken alive.

He shouted something like 'Night Mail!' and was then run over by what looked like a BFYE cl.33 pulling a 'train set' goods train (i.e. every wagon was different!).

EDIT (AGAIN): I looked it up and the episode is called 'Passenger'

the perp had a model layout and lots of railwayana too and from a critique online, railway buff/trainspotter = sad and lonely sort with no other life. The reference to 'Night Mail' was not, as I thought, rubbish TV/Railway production, but a reference to earlier in the episode where he recites the words of the famous film.

Railway scenes are at the Watercress line and there's disused station which is actually Quainton Rd.

https://morseandlewisandendeavour.com/2018/02/21/endeavour-passenger-s5e3-review-music-locations-literary-references-etc/

At the end of that episode, when they are in the perp's railway room, among his impressive collection of artefacts is a smokebox numberplate with a totally spurious number - from memory, something like 91XXX. You have to wonder why, when the set dressers have gone to some lengths to assemble a collection of railway objects, most of them I imagine genuine, they have to put in something like that, especially as it has cost them to make? Or do they run a book on how many sad people like us notice and complain?

4 hours ago, lanchester said:

At the end of that episode, when they are in the perp's railway room, among his impressive collection of artefacts is a smokebox numberplate with a totally spurious number - from memory, something like 91XXX.

You are assuming the numberplate came off a British loco

Last night the Yesterday channel showed an old episode of 'Silent Witness wit ha sequence filmed in the Euroterminal at Willesden in EWS days, where a BMW which had been involved in a hit and run was being spirited out of the country in a container and there's a glimpse of one of the overhead cranes moving in the background.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

On Talking Pictures I've just been watching the enchanting Audrey Hepburn/Fred Astaire movie Funny Face of 1957.

About halfway through, Astaire (a fashion photographer) shoots Hepburn against a background of Marc de Caso's 232 U1 adorned with a Fleche d'Or headboard

Top marks to Stanley Donen for getting  the most stylish locomotive  on the whole of the SNCF.

• Like 2

Just off the top of my head, wasn't there a rail crash in 'The Wrong Box' (Peter Cook, Dudley Moore, Ralph Richardson, Michael Caine, et.al). Though it doesn't have actual train footage, the swing Bridge over the Witham leading to Boston Docks features as part of the escape route in 'One of Our Aircraft is Missing'.

7 hours ago, joppyuk1 said:

Just off the top of my head, wasn't there a rail crash in 'The Wrong Box' (Peter Cook, Dudley Moore, Ralph Richardson, Michael Caine, et.al). Though it doesn't have actual train footage, the swing Bridge over the Witham leading to Boston Docks features as part of the escape route in 'One of Our Aircraft is Missing'.

Yes there is a train crash in "The Wrong Box" I have the film recorded, I just need to transfer it to DVD so I can get some screenshots. But the crash is all using quite convincing mock ups although if you look a bit more closely a second time it is obvious it was a stage set.

The Wrong Box crash scene. Managed to get some really bad screen shots taking pics with the camera directly off the TV screen. Only one bit of actual rail footage which to me looks suspiciously like the Bluebell railway, that bit just south of Horsted Keynes but someone else may have a better idea of location. But not sure where the actual crash scene was filmed...just wonder if it might have been down at Longmoor as there is something about the backgrounds that just fit that sort of area. I will try to get better and more screen shots as there are some further carriage shots and carriage interior shots done.

wrong box 3.jpg

wrong box 4.jpg

wrong box 5.jpg

wrong box 6.jpg

wrong box 7.jpg

wrong box 8.jpg

wrong box 9.jpg

wrong box 10.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jetmorgan said:

The Wrong Box crash scene. Managed to get some really bad screen shots taking pics with the camera directly off the TV screen. Only one bit of actual rail footage which to me looks suspiciously like the Bluebell railway, that bit just south of Horsted Keynes but someone else may have a better idea of location. But not sure where the actual crash scene was filmed...just wonder if it might have been down at Longmoor as there is something about the backgrounds that just fit that sort of area. I will try to get better and more screen shots as there are some further carriage shots and carriage interior shots done.

Thanks for posting those. I really think the film company deserves credit for the trouble they took with historical authenticity; however that was the high point of the film for me; after that it just seems to degenerate into a wearisome farce and I have never been able to endure it to the end.

Might you be able to post the scene shot at Bath Green Park (supposed to be Waterloo) with the green-painted jinty?

8 minutes ago, Andy Kirkham said:

Thanks for posting those. I really think the film company deserves credit for the trouble they took with historical authenticity; however that was the high point of the film for me; after that it just seems to degenerate into a wearisome farce and I have never been able to endure it to the end.

Might you be able to post the scene shot at Bath Green Park (supposed to be Waterloo) with the green-painted jinty?

Yes it was the high point of the film...despite all the comedic talent starring in it, it was about as funny as a watching paint drying. 

I was forgetting about that other bit...I'll try to get a picture later this afternoon

Watched an older Poirot last night about a kidnapped Prime Minister, set in the early 1930s at a guess. The railway scene was supposed to be Charing Cross but passing that by, the coach the PM boarded was in SR green with Sxxxxx numbers and looked suspiciously like an EMU. It set off with the obligatory steam sound and clouds of smoke...

The rest of the programme was fine for period cars and such, so why get the railway scene so wrong? One little dud I did spot was a squaddie in one scene had his shoulder insignia upside down.

steve

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

Here is the other scene in The Wrong Box that features a Jinty in light green at Bath Green Park. It's only a matter of seconds on screen and hidden by smoke & steam.

wrong box 11.jpg

wrong box 12.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, steve1 said:

Watched an older Poirot last night about a kidnapped Prime Minister, set in the early 1930s at a guess. The railway scene was supposed to be Charing Cross but passing that by, the coach the PM boarded was in SR green with Sxxxxx numbers and looked suspiciously like an EMU. It set off with the obligatory steam sound and clouds of smoke...

The rest of the programme was fine for period cars and such, so why get the railway scene so wrong? One little dud I did spot was a squaddie in one scene had his shoulder insignia upside down.

steve

I saw that episode - it wasn't the coach numbers I noticed though, it was the yellow 1st class stripe. This didn't come into being until 1964.

• Like 1

Shown on Talking Pictures and on YouTube, The New Lot. Army training film 1943. Leaving Waterloo ML behind LN class 852 Sir Walter Raleigh, 2 mins in, then

arriving at the training camp station behind C1 at 7 mins or watch through for an outside shot.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I was recently given the box set of the BBC's first (Ian Carmichael) version of the Lord Peter Wimsey stories. In 'Murder Must Advertise', made in 1973, one of the characters meets his end by being pushed in front of a train at South Kensington. The station is a thinly disguised Horsted Keynes. The train, which is on screen for less than two seconds, is an extraordinarily convincing substitute for Metropolitan 1913 stock, which would be absolutely right given the story is set in around 1928:

400232903_MMATrain.png.d27e80794c369944e4d171197b7c9d90.png

It's actually the Bluebell's LBSCR Directors' saloon, but doesn't it make a splendid Underground train!

Stuart J

Edited by 4069
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

Regarding The Wrong Box; By coincidence, flicking through a book on the Somerset and Dorset on an unrelated matter, I came across a photo of the Jinty involved, 47276. It was painted (on one side only !) in a shade of green not even the GWR would have used, and renumbered 727 by obscuring the first and last digits of the smokebox numberplate. There is also a photo of the ex BP&GVR coaches used. The book is 'Sabotaged and Defeated Revisited' (Jeffery Grayer, Noodle Books 2010).

Watched a War film called "The Key" the other day made in 1958 at the end the tug captain tries to catch the girl at the station. The camera pans past the loco which is Rood AshtonHall you can see the patch of paint on the tender where the British Railways has been painted over 

7 hours ago, 4069 said:

I was recently given the box set of the BBC's first (Ian Carmichael) version of the Lord Peter Wimsey stories. In 'Murder Must Advertise', made in 1973, one of the characters meets his end by being pushed in front of a train at South Kensington. The station is a thinly disguised Horsted Keynes. The train, which is on screen for less than two seconds, is an extraordinarily convincing substitute for Metropolitan 1913 stock, which would be absolutely right given the story is set in around 1928:

400232903_MMATrain.png.d27e80794c369944e4d171197b7c9d90.png

It's actually the Bluebell's LBSCR Directors' saloon, but doesn't it make a splendid Underground train!

Stuart J

Not only that, but it also illustrates that all those handpainted, card and shellac model coaches of the 50s and 60s were more realistic in finish than one might have thought :D

Don't know if it has been mentioned on here before, but the 1954 film "The sea shall not have them" features a short section filmed at Felixstowe Town station around the 1:11:30 time..

Some good shots of RAF Felixstowe and the docks area as well at the start and the end of the film.

Edited by Johann Marsbar
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of postings with pics, again straight off the TV screen so really dire quality, of The Professionals episode Operation Susie when Bodie & Doyle hid out in some rail carriages at Stewarts Lane. Lots of departmental goodies here

operation suzy 1.jpg

operation suzy 2.jpg

operation suzy 3.jpg

operation suzy 4.jpg

operation suzy 5.jpg

operation suzy 6.jpg

operation suzy 7.jpg

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, jetmorgan said:

Part 2 of The Professionals - Operation Susie

operation suzy 8.jpg

operation suzy 9.jpg

operation suzy 10.jpg

operation suzy 11.jpg

operation suzy 12.jpg

operation suzy 13.jpg

Pretty sure they used that yard in another episode, think it was "Blind Run" with a car chase against some baddies, through the goods shed and between the vans.

• Agree 1

Agree Ben, it was definitely 'Blind Run' where the big old Limo gets a thorough thrashing in the yard.

A promo card from the 1972 Sean Connery film 'The Offence' with an unknown location, most of the film was shot in and around Bracknell so it might be there....

THE OFFENCE s-l300.jpg

• Like 1