Railway footage in feature films and television...

23 hours ago, 62613 said:

Watched a bit of the film Charlotte Gray the other evening; the bit I saw involved sabotaging a French 9F on a single line somewhere in the UK; then yesterday evening they had The Molly Maguires on Freeview, not sure which channel, again involving the sabotage of a train, this time from a Pennsylvania coal mine. I'm not sure what the loco was, but either an 0-4-2 or an 0-6-0, with what looked like "period" wagons.

There is a fairly dire quality version of The Molly Maguires posted on YouTube and one comment posted underneath led me to this information on the loco used....

http://www.njmt.org/number_117.htm

Saw the film years ago on TV, but couldn't remember much about it!

On 15/08/2020 at 10:11, whart57 said:

The first shot could well be Harbledown Junction. The junction that the signal box controls however is between the Ashford and Elham Valley lines and not with the line the engine is on.

According to Brian Hart in his book The Elham Valley Line it is Harbledown Junction shown in the film

Edited by whart57
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

While looking up something else, came across this in the Nov. 1979 R.O. :

"Thornton Fields: Condemned RU E1974 was used in the filming here of a sequence for the ITV series 'The Professionals' whilst waiting removal for scrapping and in the process had some windows 'shot-out'."

• Informative/Useful 1

Recorded a film, Danger on Dartmoor on Talking Pics TV, sadly not the film I was thinking it was but this was a Childrens Film Foundation one but it did have a short section of a 1st generation DMU arriving at Crediton. Not sure what class of DUM as they used to all look very similar to me but if I recall the white with a blue stripe livery indicated a refurbished DMU. Again these were photo'd off the TV screen so not great quality.

IMG_8502.JPG

IMG_8503.JPG

22 minutes ago, jetmorgan said:

Recorded a film, Danger on Dartmoor on Talking Pics TV, sadly not the film I was thinking it was but this was a Childrens Film Foundation one but it did have a short section of a 1st generation DMU arriving at Crediton. Not sure what class of DUM as they used to all look very similar to me but if I recall the white with a blue stripe livery indicated a refurbished DMU. Again these were photo'd off the TV screen so not great quality.

IMG_8502.JPG

IMG_8503.JPG

And a bonus Mk2 Hillman Hunter to boot :D

Catching up with some films that I have recorded over the past month or so. Again apologies for the quality as I've taken the pics straight off the TV screen...I really need to get some DVD's to record onto.

Photographs from several films here so there'll be a number of postings here but this is the first The New Lot. A 1943 film about the calling up of new soldiers for the army, starring a number of regular names including Raymond Huntley, John Laurie (private Fraser, Dad's Army) and Bernard Lee (much later to become M in the James Bond films). The New Lot was later remade into the film The Way Ahead starring David Niven.

Some images like the first of Waterloo I'm sure are stock images but there is Lord Nelson class 852 Sir Walter Raleigh leaving Waterloo and then the arrival of the preserved Q1 0-6-0 C1 at a station somewhere that is described as Doomstead, not a station I have heard off so I don't know if anyone recognises it from the few scenes of the platform canopy...I did wonder if it might be Baynards.

Other scenes are of some coaching stock and also some of what looks like overhead line equipment so I wonder if those scenes were taken elsewhere rather than on the Southern.

IMG_8504.JPG

IMG_8505.JPG

IMG_8506.JPG

IMG_8507.JPG

IMG_8508.JPG

IMG_8509.JPG

IMG_8510.JPG

IMG_8511.JPG

IMG_8512.JPG

IMG_8513.JPG

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, jetmorgan said:

Other scenes are of some coaching stock and also some of what looks like overhead line equipment so I wonder if those scenes were taken elsewhere rather than on the Southern.

IMG_8508.JPG

From the mast design, that will either be somewhere on the GE main line south of Shenfield or at the Manchester end of the via Woodhead line. My guess is the former.

On another subject, the Blue Pullman does make an appearance in this episode of Supercar!

Edited by Johann Marsbar
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Johann Marsbar said:

From the mast design, that will either be somewhere on the GE main line south of Shenfield or at the Manchester end of the via Woodhead line. My guess is the former.

Those masts do look like the ones south of Shenfield towards Harrold Wood , but could they also be former LBSCR ones? I can't see a third rail though 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, russ p said:

Those masts do look like the ones south of Shenfield towards Harrold Wood , but could they also be former LBSCR ones? I can't see a third rail though 

Just did a quick scan of my copy of "Elevated Electric" and none of the LBSCR structures resemble those - they all have more latticework construction and are a completely different style. Same goes for the Newport-Shildon ones.........

My guess is the GEML stretch somewhere south of Brentwood around where the M25 runs nowadays. Can't recall seeing photos of what was erected in the way of masts prior to the outbreak of WW2 anywhere before though.

Edited by Johann Marsbar
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

On another subject, the Blue Pullman does make an appearance in this episode of Supercar

“Most satisfactory” use of London to Brighton in Four Minutes!

Directed by David Elliott I see - presumably not the A1 Trust’s Chief Engineer - or perhaps...

Richard

And the next one. Hindle Wakes, a 1952 film of not much note to my mind and didn't have any big stars in it although there is Leslie Dwyer and Joan Hickson (yet to be Miss Marple) Not much in the way of railways but the station scenes look to me like they might be Preston and there are some carriage shots although I wonder if they might be stock scenes as the train looks more Great Western than LMS.

IMG_8514.JPG

IMG_8515.JPG

IMG_8516.JPG

IMG_8517.JPG

IMG_8518.JPG

IMG_8519.JPG

• Like 1

This is probably off topic because it's not a feature film but I've just been watching the BTF 1956  film "Link Span" (It's on youTube) and in the first sequence, showing the SS Lord Warden car and passenger ferry being loaded in the then new Eastern Docks car ferry terminal , you can see in the background a tank loco with a train of Shell BP tank wagons  which would have travelled along the Sea Front tramway from the then main Western Docks. I couldn't identify the loco but P class 0-6-0Ts were being used on the Sea Front railway around that time. (The sea front landladies must have just loved having steam locos chugging back and forth in front of their guest houses!)  

1430116410_linkspan1.jpg.f88a2230ac7efd89372eef56bd342961.jpg

406748368_linkspan2a.jpg.5fa34ad26e9268e6394e3d13ea7aba80.jpg

I don't know what the tunnels behind the terminal were. Theyre too low to be the pair used by the aerial ropeway from Tilmanstone Colliery. They appear more clearly in this photo from 1953 of the first RoRo car ferry berths being built

https://doverhistorian.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/th-13-west-bridge-launch-of-east-girder-9-march-1953-dhb-lambert-weston.jpg

Edited by Pacific231G

2 hours ago, jetmorgan said:

And the next one. Hindle Wakes, a 1952 film of not much note to my mind and didn't have any big stars in it although there is Leslie Dwyer and Joan Hickson (yet to be Miss Marple) Not much in the way of railways but the station scenes look to me like they might be Preston and there are some carriage shots although I wonder if they might be stock scenes as the train looks more Great Western than LMS.

IMG_8514.JPG

IMG_8515.JPG

IMG_8516.JPG

IMG_8517.JPG

IMG_8518.JPG

IMG_8519.JPG

The GW stock shot looks like it was filmed somewhere around Iver.... not too far away from some of the well known film studios ;)

11 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

The GW stock shot looks like it was filmed somewhere around Iver.... not too far away from some of the well known film studios ;)

Just checked on the film and it was filmed at Merton Park Studios which will be in South London. So the carriage shots are more than likely stock stuff that the studios had.

Watching the Bond movie last night, and 'GoldenEye' had some olive drab livery Mk1s standing in for Russian rolling stock in the short scene where Natalya Fyodorovna Simonova (izabella Scorupco) arrives in St. Petersburg...

As well as an armour-clad Class 20 and a couple of heavily-disguised Mk1s in Alec Trevelyan/Janus' (Sean Bean) private train.

Edited by talisman56

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, RichardT said:

“Most satisfactory” use of London to Brighton in Four Minutes!

Directed by David Elliott I see - presumably not the A1 Trust’s Chief Engineer - or perhaps...

Richard

Perhaps surprising as London to Brighton was a BBC film and Supercar was ITV. 

I was interested to see Supercar as our family didn't get a TV until the Fireball XL5 era.

4 hours ago, talisman56 said:

Watching the Bond movie last night, and 'GoldenEye' had some olive drab livery Mk1s standing in for Russian rolling stock in the short scene where Natalya Fyodorovna Simonova (izabella Scorupco) arrives in St. Petersburg...

As well as an armour-clad Class 20 and a couple of heavily-disguised Mk1s in Alec Trevelyan/Janus' (Sean Bean) private train.

And some terrific model effects of the tank collision with the train, by the late great Derek Meddings who did some great work on the Gerry Anderson productions earlier in his career, just to loop back around to the Fireball XL5 post :)

3 hours ago, talisman56 said:

Filmed at the Nene Valley and the British Sugar Factory in Peterborough.

The 20 was 20188/D8188 now at the Spa Valley Railway.

Jason

3 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

Perhaps surprising as London to Brighton was a BBC film and Supercar was ITV. 

I was interested to see Supercar as our family didn't get a TV until the Fireball XL5 era.

I just watched London to Brighton again and the two things that struck me were that its absurd speed is now only a bit more than double the current rail speed record (though obviously the Brighton line would not be anyone's first choice for a rail speed record attempt) and the fact that when the train leaves Victoria it's the Brighton Belle but by the time it arrives in Brighton the enormous speed has somehow transformed it into a conventional slam door southern electric set.

It also reminded me of the American Supertrain series starring a nuclear powered train whose specially built broad gauge track enabled it to travel at the staggering service speed of wait for it .....

one hundred and ninety miles per hour. Since the series was made in 1979, more than six years after the gas turbine powered TGV001 had demonstrated that such speeds were at least feasible in service for a standard gauge train and twenty four years after electric test trains had reached over 200MPH it's perhaps not surprising that the series flopped.