Railway footage in feature films and television...

Always interesting to see the approach to OH&S of 1920s film makers.

Also interesting to note that the studio clearly made some effort to construct/obtain reasonable interpretations of early US rail vehicles, which is more than can be said for quite a few more recent/serious productions.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Last Journey was on this morning. I only caught the end. But it was in a very early slot.

If you haven't seen it, the film itself is a bit average, but fantastic footage of the GWR in the 1930s.

Some screen captures here.

https://www.reelstreets.com/films/last-journey-the/

Knowing how that channel works expect another repeat soon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thought the Channel Tunnel scenes from "Mission Impossible" were bad?  Well it has a serious rival - Sky have released "SAS - Red Notice"

Spoiler alert - it is appalling and yet again the OHLE has been conveniently omitted so that a daring helicopter scene can be included.

Jim

• Funny 1

19 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Thought the Channel Tunnel scenes from "Mission Impossible" were bad?  Well it has a serious rival - Sky have released "SAS - Red Notice"

Spoiler alert - it is appalling and yet again the OHLE has been conveniently omitted so that a daring helicopter scene can be included.

Jim

I can’t believe I managed to watch it to the end, truly awful on many levels

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 07/03/2021 at 19:57, Coach bogie said:

Runaway Railway is being shown on Talking Pictures at 9:30am on Saturday

https://talkingpicturestv.co.uk/this-months-trailers/

Mike Wiltshire

Thanks Mike

I recorded it but have only just got round to watching it this evening.

Great fun. One of the Children's Film Foundation's better efforts. True that the railway scenes were about as realistic as the model railways of its intended 1966 audience and the message I'd have taken away from it would have been "Yes children, railways really do make an excellent playground" but it was entertaining.

Clearly a lot of undecranking involved and some of the stock also appeared in the "The Great St. Trinian's Train Robbery" released in the same year.

The cast included not only Ronnie Barker and Jon Pertwee - before TV made them both a lot more famous , though both were then in The Navy Lark. Also Sydney Taffler who I've always liked and thought deserving of better roles than most that he played.

If you aren't mortally offended by "main line" points without any locking it's well worth seeing when and if they show it again.

I went to the sort of school that had lessons on Saturday mornings and "voluntary" games on Wednesday afternoons so couldn't, much to my annoyance, get to the Saturday morning kids' shows at the local cinema. Talking  Pictures is trying to resurrected those shows "complete with Flash Gordon, Zorro's Black Whip and Superman (which being 1940s probably weren't shown in the mid 1960s)  so a nice bit of nostalgia for something I never actually experienced, probably the best sort of nostalgia.  

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1

Some screen shots from Runaway Railway off Talking pics TV. All filmed on the LMR by the look of things except some stock footage at Paddington and a couple of short scenes which I think were lifted from the London to Brighton in 4 minutes film. The WD 2-10-0 doesn't need any introduction as it's a well know engine. The saddle tank I presume is a J94 but with fake outside cylinders fitted and some sort of decorative thingy on the chimney. Also includes some Hornby Dublo as well.

PDVD_412.jpg

PDVD_414.jpg

PDVD_415.jpg

PDVD_420.jpg

PDVD_428.jpg

PDVD_430.jpg

PDVD_432.jpg

PDVD_441.jpg

PDVD_442.jpg

PDVD_453.jpg

PDVD_456.jpg

PDVD_458.jpg

PDVD_462.jpg

PDVD_465.jpg

Edited by jetmorgan
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, billy_anorak59 said:

<Adenoidal nasal voice>

"....I think you'll find, that that is not Hornby Dublo, but Tri-ang"

<As you were>

I'll bow to the superior knowledge haha

I'm afraid that is a period of time when I wasn't even the twinkle in the milkman's eye

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

31 minutes ago, billy_anorak59 said:

<Adenoidal nasal voice>

"....I think you'll find, that that is not Hornby Dublo, but Tri-ang"

<As you were>

Triang "Standard" track. Very early stuff then, superseded in 1957 by Series 3 which was one of the earliest examples of the open sleeper trackbase we are familiar with today.

I wonder if the props guys chose Standard track because it was the only sort available or because it was more robust when taking up or setting down on a table

28 minutes ago, whart57 said:

Triang "Standard" track. Very early stuff then, superseded in 1957 by Series 3 which was one of the earliest examples of the open sleeper trackbase we are familiar with today.

I wonder if the props guys chose Standard track because it was the only sort available or because it was more robust when taking up or setting down on a table

Very well made and able to survive my seven year old attempts at assembly and packing away. The points cost 7/6 ,(37.5p) which would have probably bought dad four pints of Tetley's best. Funny how some numbers can stick in your mind for around sixty years!

• Like 1

Another Talking pic TV film shown over the past year was "The 14 aka the wild little bunch" some sort of scoail commentary film on life for a poor family in the 1970's. However there are a lot of scenes, especially in the opening credits of the lines out of Paddington, I think around the Westbourne park and Royal Oak areas. On the downside a lot of the scenes feature young kids trespassing on the railway which can't create the best of images these days.

PDVD_211.jpg

PDVD_214.jpg

PDVD_217.jpg

PDVD_219.jpg

PDVD_220.jpg

PDVD_222.jpg

PDVD_225.jpg

PDVD_229.jpg

• Like 6

12 hours ago, jetmorgan said:

Some screen shots from Runaway Railway off Talking pics TV. All filmed on the LMR by the look of things except some stock footage at Paddington and a couple of short scenes which I think were lifted from the London to Brighton in 4 minutes film. The WD 2-10-0 doesn't need any introduction as it's a well know engine. The saddle tank I presume is a J94 but with fake outside cylinders fitted and some sort of decorative thingy on the chimney. Also includes some Hornby Dublo as well.

PDVD_412.jpg

PDVD_414.jpg

PDVD_415.jpg

PDVD_420.jpg

PDVD_428.jpg

PDVD_430.jpg

PDVD_432.jpg

PDVD_441.jpg

PDVD_442.jpg

PDVD_453.jpg

PDVD_456.jpg

PDVD_458.jpg

PDVD_462.jpg

PDVD_465.jpg

The Austerity, according to the Longmoor Military Railway: A New History book (vol.3), was modified with cosmetic cylinders (no connecting rods!) and other details, and remained that way for a while afterwards whilst back in MoD service, mainly the elaborate extra lining staying in place for a while by the look of it.

Gordon Edgar's book on the Austerities has it as MoD 156 "McMurdo" (Hunslet 3202 of 1944), sadly scrapped in 1968. I say sadly, as I always had a soft spot for the loco after watching the film when I was little :)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, steve1 said:

I can never understand why the film people felt the need to fiddle with the loco and add the superfluous extras. What was the point? How does it add to the film?

steve

I can kind of see the point with 'Matilda', I suppose it gave it a bit the loco a bit of character, made it look a bit more like a treasured, old-fashioned locomotive that was something of a line 'pet'.  The Austerity as a basic design probably looked a bit modern and a touch, well, austere; I can imagine the film-makers probably wanted something different and older looking, but were a bit limited with what the MoD could provide, especially with them being tied to Longmoor as a filming location.  Though I think they should have left-off the cosmetic cylinders, especially as there were no rods or motion linking them to the wheels!

With "St.Trinians", I gather the modification to the second Austerity (the side-tanks) was to make it distinctive enough from the Austerity the kids hijacked during the chase scenes.

Some more screen shots of films on Talking Pics TV. This tiome one of the short home movie style films featuring industry in Lancashire. I'm assuming this must be the Beyer Peacock works considering the American style locomotive and the Garratts.

The film also had other images of a transporter bridge along with some Avro aircraft but they are outside the subject of this forum.

PDVD_242.jpg

PDVD_244.jpg

PDVD_246.jpg

PDVD_247.jpg

PDVD_248.jpg

PDVD_249.jpg

PDVD_250.jpg

PDVD_252.jpg

• Like 6

Here comes some more screen shots Sony classic movies this time. I have quite a few as I wasn't doing much over lockdown so did a lot of recording, but I have only just been able to get some blank DVD's so I can get the screen shots.

This time "Weekend with Lulu" starring Bob Monkhouse, Leslie Phillips, Irene Handl and Shirley Eaton...of Goldfinger fame. Another film shot on the Longmoor Military railway....standing in for railways in France. The J94 and all the British looking rolling stock a bit of a give away but there some shots of a French railway signal box. But the goods yard is very much British and I think the water crane in the middle of the goods yard is there for comic effect purposes only.

For aeroplane enthusiasts there are also a good number of shots of the Silver City based Bristol Freighters that flew cars between Le Touquet and Lydd

PDVD_291.jpg

PDVD_297.jpg

PDVD_300.jpg

PDVD_301.jpg

PDVD_303.jpg

PDVD_306.jpg

PDVD_317.jpg

PDVD_320.jpg

Edited by jetmorgan
  • Like 5

Still railways but something a little different this morning. From the film A Window in London starring Michael Redgrave, some London underground trains in 1940. Not sure of the locations but I think west London. Also the film is supposed to have some good shots of Waterloo Bridge being built, Michael Redgrave starring as a crane driver on the construction site.

PDVD_313.jpg

PDVD_321.jpg

PDVD_322.jpg

PDVD_333.jpg

PDVD_334.jpg

PDVD_351.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jetmorgan said:

Still railways but something a little different this morning. From the film A Window in London starring Michael Redgrave, some London underground trains in 1940. Not sure of the locations but I think west London. Also the film is supposed to have some good shots of Waterloo Bridge being built, Michael Redgrave starring as a crane driver on the construction site.

PDVD_313.jpg

PDVD_321.jpg

PDVD_322.jpg

PDVD_333.jpg

PDVD_334.jpg

PDVD_351.jpg

I think that's in the area around the junction for the Olympia branch just west of Earls Court