Railway footage in feature films and television...

On 06/08/2021 at 23:49, 45669 said:

I haven't got time to wade through the previous 46 pages although I'm sure that they're very interesting

The search facility has a "Search in this topic" option which allows you to look for a search term just within the topic currently being read:

image.png.1e1391e7e0a8828c2e49d0408b2be0ca.png

That reveals that the episode featuring the Mid-Hants line and Quainton Road, Passenger from series 5, has been referenced at least twice before on this thread:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/48694-railway-footage-in-feature-films-and-television/&do=findComment&comment=3408378

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/48694-railway-footage-in-feature-films-and-television/&do=findComment&comment=3408378

In fact if you search using the series' correct title Endeavour then you will find even more references to the series, and to that episode.

A response to one of the links above suggests that there was even an entire thread about just that one episode.  Oddly, though, that one is more tricky to track down and I had to resort to Google:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/131376-endeavour-18th-feb/

8 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Does anyone know where the improbable level crossing accident in last Saturday's 'Casualty' was filmed?

I just hunted that down on Iplayer.  Not a terrible effort, but I noticed the 08 on the rear of the goods train appeared from nowhere, though not nearly as suddenly as the mysteriously high-speed class 03!  I'd have thought one of their DMU's would have been more suitable though.

Does anybody remember the level crossing crash from the 90's Casualty?  I seem to remember that even though it was filmed with a green loco (class 25?) the fact it was shot at night, and rather more dramatically (all with practical effects) made it all a bit more visceral.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ben B said:

I just hunted that down on Iplayer.  Not a terrible effort, but I noticed the 08 on the rear of the goods train appeared from nowhere, though not nearly as suddenly as the mysteriously high-speed class 03!  I'd have thought one of their DMU's would have been more suitable though.

Does anybody remember the level crossing crash from the 90's Casualty?  I seem to remember that even though it was filmed with a green loco (class 25?) the fact it was shot at night, and rather more dramatically (all with practical effects) made it all a bit more visceral.

It was the way that despite the gates being next to the 'box, the signaller didn't seem to have intervened, by replacing the signals, for example.

An interesting one from the other night, I was re-watching "Vera" on DVD (because we don't have good enough internet for streaming at the moment), and the use of the 141 on the Weardale to represent a vaguely modern train somewhere in the suburbs of Newcastle.  I think in the book version of "Harbour Street" it's meant to be the Metro.  In the tv version they did a very reasonable job, even to the point of dressing the vintage station with things like ticket barriers.  The only mistake seemed to be that they didn't swap the nameboards on the station (and filmed it a little too prominently) so the train stopped at the same stop twice; once for the victim to get on, then after trundling along a bit more, they somehow arrived there again where everybody got off...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Warship TV Series (2), episode 5, some interesting shots of HMS Hero alongside, including a couple of some wooden 7 plank PO wagons on the dockside on what looks to be some insanely tight curves.

A shot of a Peak at Plymouth station later in the series as well.

Cracking series, and not too wooden for 1974!!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

On C 5 the other night was "30s in colour - Countdown to war"

There was a train scene where Charlie Chaplin was visiting Britain and he climbed out of a green and white (or cream) coach!

Now these images have been colourised so may not be correct.

Anyone recognise the coach?

254597115_coach0.JPG.ad817f3a07dcbe510971f640db4720d4.JPG

1022118077_coach1.JPG.c50eec1552c06ec7b57453e36ef72693.JPG

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

At 18.35 today on talking pictures is a 1940 movie called Return to Yesterday where there is significant footage at Paddington at the start and reuse of the Ghost train footage at Dawlish as the lead actor gets off the train to go to Teignmouth pier.

Final scene has a night train departing with milk tanks etc (actually Slough)

Enjoy

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 2

12 hours ago, melmerby said:

On C 5 the other night was "30s in colour - Countdown to war"

There was a train scene where Charlie Chaplin was visiting Britain and he climbed out of a green and white (or cream) coach!

Now these images have been colourised so may not be correct.

Anyone recognise the coach?

1119746537_coach0.JPG.56c4e5b689fe6bd88e39df0b9ce32e66.JPG

1716521363_coach1.JPG.e58787c1843cb55bf80282ff7388554b.JPG

The colourisation of those images is way out - it should actually be chocolate & cream, Chaplin arrived at Paddington station in 1931 which makes the coach a Collett catering vehicle of some sort.... modellers note how grubby the white roof looks....!

charlie_chaplin_06.jpg.80d368223c091ea4859a57a925b16b95.jpg

Chaplin-In-London-009.jpg.bc7c02d9df45a4334ff28129ff2b52ec.jpg

He also visited the Southern at some point....

charlie-chaplin-in-london-waterloo-station-london-G7X31M.jpg.7bd2dab28ccd788c502117b03ae8391f.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The last Chaplin photo is probably of his arrival in London off the Queen Elizabeth in September 1952 for the premiere of Limelight.  After boarding his re-entry permit to the USA was revoked due to his alleged political views and he did not return for 20 years.

Edited by petethemole
missing word
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
On 30/08/2021 at 11:49, Rugd1022 said:

The colourisation of those images is way out - it should actually be chocolate & cream, Chaplin arrived at Paddington station in 1931 which makes the coach a Collett catering vehicle of some sort.... modellers note how grubby the white roof looks....!

charlie_chaplin_06.jpg.80d368223c091ea4859a57a925b16b95.jpg

Chaplin-In-London-009.jpg.bc7c02d9df45a4334ff28129ff2b52ec.jpg

That's a fundamental error, that shouldn't happen.

I though that research to find the actual or likely colour was part of the colourisation process. Clearly not in this case.

Maybe we will see some blue London buses in a future episode:jester:

It looked like a Collett coach but I wasn't sure if it was somewhere else, as the LNER had some green & cream stock, but I don't know anything about them.

EDIT

Posted in the GWR section and it turns out it's one of the 1930 super saloons.

The double doors midway give it away.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

Something irritating and unnecessary in Peter Rabbit 2. They catch a train from the Lake District and it’s the Lakeside & Haverthwaite. That’s fair enough, but as part of the ‘journey’ montage, there’s a shot of an American wig-wag level crossing sign. Ridiculous.

steve

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

Just been reminded of this - a scene from 'Man In A Suitcase' that was shot in 1967 but I can't remember where it is, despite having watched the entire series....

151946200_4331358780213463_5543887678322637753_n.jpg.7a980b5f78e61ae672f0185c7e7ee7f3.jpg

I'd put (a little) money on Denham Golf Club

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Just been reminded of this - a scene from 'Man In A Suitcase' that was shot in 1967 but I can't remember where it is, despite having watched the entire series....

151946200_4331358780213463_5543887678322637753_n.jpg.7a980b5f78e61ae672f0185c7e7ee7f3.jpg

Hmmm, if I’d been playing the part of McGill, they’d have to rename the programme “Totem in a Suitcase”!…

Regards

Dan

• Funny 2

I know someone posted a couple of pictures from the film Last Journey. But it was on again the other day and I got it recorded so got a huge load of screenshots. Too many to post up here in one go so here is a selection, Star class at Paddington, a few views of what I think is Royal Oak, Pannier tanks...including a condenser and some views of a train passing what looks like an engine shed and also going through what looks like some docks, but I don't know the location so perhaps someone could help out. 

PDVD_069.jpg

PDVD_076.jpg

PDVD_082.jpg

PDVD_087.jpg

PDVD_110.jpg

PDVD_115.jpg

PDVD_160.jpg

PDVD_352.jpg

PDVD_379.jpg

PDVD_384.jpg

PDVD_388.jpg

PDVD_392.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Screenshot number 8, is Slough loco shed, with the branch line to Windsor & Eton Central, curving off behind.  The train is heading west, on the Down Main.

Regards

Dan (Born and raised in Slough!).

Edited by Dan Randall
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, Dan Randall said:

Screenshot number 8, is Slough loco shed, with the branch line to Windsor & Eton Central, curving off behind.  The train is heading west, on the Down Main.

Regards

Dan (Born and raised in Slough!).

Spot on and I didn’t recognise it.

My school was somewhere behind those engine sheds.

There is small figure by the fence at the bottom of the picture. I can’t claim that it is me but this is where my friends and I spent our lunch hours, in our spotting days in the late 1950s. BR era a fair while after this picture was taken I presume.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, peterd777 said:

Spot on and I didn’t recognise it.

My school was somewhere behind those engine sheds.

There is small figure by the fence at the bottom of the picture. I can’t claim that it is me but this is where my friends and I spent our lunch hours, in our spotting days in the late 1950s. BR era a fair while after this picture was taken I presume.

Hi Peter.

The film was made in 1936 apparently, so it’s definitely not you train spotting on this occasion.  What a great place to observe from in your lunch hours though, with all the comings and goings around the shed, coal stage and turntable, not to mention four tracks of main and relief lines, the Windsor branch and extensive goods facilities Slough once boasted.  It must have been a real struggle going back for the afternoon lessons!

It’s always surprised me that Slough slipped under most photographer’s radar, given how much there was to see and I live in hope that some decent pictures will show up one day, especially of the coal stage, which I have a vague recollection of going inside with my brother, after closure.

Regards

Dan

• Like 1

Terrific contribution with those 'Last Journey' screen grabs, many thanks for sharing them Peter! the film was slightly before his time, but my other half's late Dad was a Signalbox 'booking boy' at Slough between 1946 and 1951 before he left to do his national service in the RAF. We had some lovely conversations about his memories of Kings, Castles, Halls etc thundering through as he watched them from the 'box windows. It still tickles me that he was actually an employee of the GWR, even now.

Hope you don't mind but I'd like to share some of the screen grabs over on the Old Oak facebook group ;)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Terrific contribution with those 'Last Journey' screen grabs, many thanks for sharing them Peter! the film was slightly before his time, but my other half's late Dad was a Signalbox 'booking boy' at Slough between 1946 and 1951 before he left to do his national service in the RAF. We had some lovely conversations about his memories of Kings, Castles, Halls etc thundering through as he watched them from the 'box windows. It still tickles me that he was actually an employee of the GWR, even now.

Hope you don't mind but I'd like to share some of the screen grabs over on the Old Oak facebook group ;)

Nope not a problem with sharing. I'll be posting some other screen shots at a later date so if there is anything you want to share there be my guest.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

First screen shot is a Saint 2980 Coeur De Lion. Having a soft spot for the Great Bear I look forward to the crew are turning 6005 as in the background is 111 Viscount Churchill.

Mike Wiltshire

722043038_Lastjourneyturntable6005111.jpg.b3a6f56cf1b5f445aeb2f1942bb04726.jpg

Hello Mike...when I first looked at the number of that Saint I too thought it was 2980 Coeur de Lion but I have a close up of the nameplate and it looks to have only one word so I'm thinking more now it maybe 2990 Waverley and it's just the film that makes it look like 2980.

PDVD_067.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1