Railway footage in feature films and television...

9 hours ago, JN said:

I was surprised no-one had mentioned a few of the films I mentioned especially Brief Encounter

It was mentioned right back on page 1 of the thread, nearly ten years ago!

In this case, the forum facility to search within a specific thread is your friend:

1209904838_Screenshot2021-11-07at08_27_43.png.e9df26e2aba551a2b0142b1db64acc44.png

3 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

It was mentioned right back on page 1 of the thread, nearly ten years ago!

In this case, the forum facility to search within a specific thread is your friend:

1209904838_Screenshot2021-11-07at08_27_43.png.e9df26e2aba551a2b0142b1db64acc44.png

I also repeated Goldeneye from the same page. Whoops. 

Anyway, thanks for letting me know about the search function. I did read over all the pages and posts. I'm probably not the only one to have made that mistake of repeating a film or tv series...

I also realised, after I made the post, I could have mentioned:

The Simpsons

South Park

I'd be surprised if Michael Palin's Around the World in Eighty Days or Pole to Pole also didn't have a train at some point. As well as the Michael Portillo 'Great Railway Journeys' series. There will be others that come to mind as well.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jbqfc said:

Just caught up with The Larkins on ITV with a train ride filmed on the bluebell railway and for once no continuity errors 

John 

Apart from the nerdy female trainspotter saying the train was a Class 5 with BR1B tender...................

Looked like a Southern "Q" 0-6-0 to me, I didn't notice Camelot anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I don't know if it qualifies, but today's (Thursday) episode of Heir Hunters, which I believe is a new series, covered a family that lost two if its members in the 1952 Harrow accident.  Whilst the accident itself was covered well with stills, and , I think, some movie footage, the scenes shown as leading up to it were a complete shambles, obviously grabbed from the nearest library bucket. Starting with an LNER Pacific (or V2) on a train at a random station, it then sank into a mire of US railroad footage, admittedly probably in period, but I couldn't quite see what a close up of US freight wagons, running through a very un-British landscape, contributed to the narrative.

• Like 2

Already posted these on a couple of Facebook groups I'm on but wanted to add them here too.

Screen grabs from a short film on Talking Pics TV called Sound Steel, about the Sheffield steel frim of Firth Brown which featured this small industrial, very low cab loco hauling a Great Western bogie bolster loaded with some sort of boiler.

According to a member of the Industrial loco group on facebook it's a Hawthorn Leslie 3913.

There were some later shots of Bullied pacifics as well which I have yet to sort out.

PDVD_228.jpg

PDVD_229.jpg

PDVD_230.jpg

PDVD_231.jpg

PDVD_232.jpg

• Like 9

Anyone watch Showtrial on the Beeb? It's set in Bristol and there's a recurring shot from the window of the flat occupied by the solicitor that shows a set of sidings in a very urban setting.

Can anyone identify where it is? Might it be in the dock area?

Thanks

steve

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, steve1 said:

Anyone watch Showtrial on the Beeb? It's set in Bristol and there's a recurring shot from the window of the flat occupied by the solicitor that shows a set of sidings in a very urban setting.

Can anyone identify where it is? Might it be in the dock area?

ShowTrial.jpg.4dd86f29e93410a58cf512d0303ef8ca.jpg

Yes it's Bristol docks. The former Wapping Wharf lines now operated by M Shed museum to give steam train rides.

The nearby area represented Weymouth Quay in The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, with the Balmoral standing in for the Channel Islands ferry.

https://www.seenit.co.uk/revealed-how-bristols-princes-wharf-doubled-for-guernsey-in-mike-newells-the-guernsey-literary-and-potato-peel-society/

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

ShowTrial.jpg.4dd86f29e93410a58cf512d0303ef8ca.jpg

Yes it's Bristol docks. The former Wapping Wharf lines now operated by M Shed museum to give steam train rides.

The nearby area represented Weymouth Quay in The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, with the Balmoral standing in for the Channel Islands ferry.

https://www.seenit.co.uk/revealed-how-bristols-princes-wharf-doubled-for-guernsey-in-mike-newells-the-guernsey-literary-and-potato-peel-society/

Thanks for that. A very pleasant view to have from one's living room window.

steve

6 hours ago, ajwffc said:

not a fully railway scene. But one of the companions (Dan Lewis played by John Bishop) was using a Bardic as a torch  

'...anything goes, home grown or foreign, ancient or bang up to date, whether it be a brief snatch of something passing by in the background or with the railway as a central feature...'

I think the real point of this thread is "I saw that film/tv show too. I did/didn't enjoy it." Conversation starts. "Are you going to this model railway exhibition/want to see my model railway/go for a drink/whatever? I had a bad day/need some help/I'm lonely :'(/would like to meet you :)."

We all come here for the shared interest of railways and modelling railways (perhaps a bit of general modelling too), but some might come/stay for more than just that.

• RMweb Premium

sorry if it's been mentioned already.

The Protectors on ITV4 today, episode 'Shadbolt'.

Tom Bell (Shadbolt) on a train from Edinburgh Waverley with Robert Vaughan (his target).

Only saw the first bit - passes a mk2 A/C train, gets in a mk1 First class door and cut to a low-down shot of a Deltic + mk2 A/C train with 1E05 (Flying Scotsman) headcode pulling out of Waverley East end.

(episode not up on ITV Hub yet, so no screenshots)

some info available at https://itctv.wordpress.com/2014/03/03/the-protectors-season-2-episode-22-shadbolt/

• Like 1

11 hours ago, keefer said:

sorry if it's been mentioned already.

The Protectors on ITV4 today, episode 'Shadbolt'.

Tom Bell (Shadbolt) on a train from Edinburgh Waverley with Robert Vaughan (his target).

Only saw the first bit - passes a mk2 A/C train, gets in a mk1 First class door and cut to a low-down shot of a Deltic + mk2 A/C train with 1E05 (Flying Scotsman) headcode pulling out of Waverley East end.

(episode not up on ITV Hub yet, so no screenshots)

some info available at https://itctv.wordpress.com/2014/03/03/the-protectors-season-2-episode-22-shadbolt/

It's an odd episode compared to the rest of the series and has a distinct 'Get Carter' feel to it. Another episode features some nice footage of Robert Vaughan on Clapham Junction station which (I think) was shot in the Autumn Winter of 1971 / 72.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Was definitely thinking of Get Carter Nidge, just in the other direction!

(Of course, not everyone may realise that in the Get Carter opening 'journey', Jack shares his compartment with his eventual assassin.)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 06/11/2021 at 22:41, Steamport Southport said:

Mentioning the Bond movies whilst missing the three obvious ones? :prankster:

Octopussy - filmed on the Nene Valley

A View To A Kill - Amberley Chalk Pits

From Russia With Love - Orient Express with Continental locomotives but also has footage of Royal Scots pulling green coaches! Obviously colourised so they look like the same train

From Russia With Love was about the only modern film/TV that depicted the Orient Express as it really was in any era, rather than as a luxury "land cruise" train with piano bar, club car etc.  Apart from a couple of colour-reversed - to make the carriages green- British stock shots the railway scenes were all shot in Turkey  starting with Sirkeci Gari in Istanbul so rolling stock and loco were  authentic (except that a Turkish  loco wouldn't have still been hauling the train in Jugoslavia at Zagreb- also shot at Sirkeci- and the level crossing where Bond and Romanova get off- actually at Yarimburgaz station in NW (European) Turkey) 

Sirkeci itself is a magnificent station that I visited (and had tea in the equally magnificent refreshment room) while doing some work in Istanbul in the late 1990s. At that time it had I think just one international train, to Bulgaria, each day using its  mainline platform. The surface station has been closed for some years since the rail crossing under the Bosphorous to Asia was built but TCDD are planning to reopen it along with the 8km line linking it to the rest of the network.

As a prototype it had a lot going for it as a very simply mainline terminus but with magnificent buildings and of course the Orient Express and a train ferry to take wagons across the Bosphorus to Asia.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 2

On 25/11/2021 at 17:14, keefer said:

Was definitely thinking of Get Carter Nidge, just in the other direction!

(Of course, not everyone may realise that in the Get Carter opening 'journey', Jack shares his compartment with his eventual assassin.)

I have the book from which the film was based (Jack's Return Home by Ted Lewis), the the opening has him leave London from Euston and alight at Doncaster! He also survives and Lewis wrote a sequel, Jack Carter's Law. Lewis was also an animator , worked on Yellow Submarine and also wrote several episodes of Z Cars. Best bit, he was a a local, born in Streford!

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

12 hours ago, w124bob said:

I have the book from which the film was based (Jack's Return Home by Ted Lewis), the the opening has him leave London from Euston and alight at Doncaster! He also survives and Lewis wrote a sequel, Jack Carter's Law. Lewis was also an animator , worked on Yellow Submarine and also wrote several episodes of Z Cars. Best bit, he was a a local, born in Streford!

I've got the book but still haven't read it yet!

Ted Lewis on location in Newcastle in the Summer of 1970 - the whole film was shot in forty days over July, August and September, with several changes to the script made during shooting....

c4d8f0eb8401035ad1cfab575cb48ce9.jpg.e4cbb22b0f8cbde5f0495e2a208fe539.jpg

David_Lee_pic.jpg.06215a2e3b96690c43a67b70b2904346.jpg

400160795_GetCarterTedLewisGateshead.jpg.167c4c1353eb1bb82e6041e99e4de7ee.jpg

654920633_GETCARTERTedLewisNecastle1970.jpg.e545efc5e78c96b0799b3ee0b0333476.jpg

Just to bring us back on topic, I can't look at a Deltic without thinking about 'Get Carter', and vice versa! The original opening scene to the film was supposed to be a slow moving panning shot of a Finsbury Park ETH 47 departing KX, it was filmed but never used in the final cut, the footage however does appear in one of the 'Diesels & Electrics On 35mm' dvds. From vague memory I think the 47 was 1503, 1507 or 1509. In all thirty three scenes were cut from the final edit of the film.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...

"The Signalman", the 1970's BBC adaptation of the Charles Dickens ghost story was on BBC4 last night.  Absolutely brilliant, and wonderfully atmospheric.  Filmed on the SVR, I gather the signal box in the cutting was built by the production.

• Agree 1