Railway footage in feature films and television...

• RMweb Premium

I rather suspect nothing. The GWR knew the value of good PR which is probably why it's still so popular seven decades after it disappeared. . 

I'm not sure it was terribly good PR to suggest that your railway was one on which a crazed and armed engine driver could nearly get away with wrecking a train. Mind you, it did get Godfrey Tearle on the footplate as a kind of preparation for Titfield.

I'm not sure it was terribly good PR to suggest that your railway was one on which a crazed and armed engine driver could nearly get away with wrecking a train. Mind you, it did get Godfrey Tearle on the footplate as a kind of preparation for Titfield.

Well the GWR obviously approved of the plot, otherwise they wouldn't have permitted, and clearly helped arrange, many of the train and platform scenes to have taken place. I should think, even in the 1930s, the cinema-going public would have realised this was a work of fiction, not to be taken too seriously!

The sheer impossibilty of any servant of the Great Western Railway acting in such a way would have been deemed quite sufficient to protect the company's reputation as would the absurdity of someone in a car or even a Tiger Moth (cruising speed 75knots-86MPH) having the remotest chance of catching up with one of the GWR's flyers. As for the fine Swindon built locomotive hauling such a train actually slipping, well they probably included that very early on to ensure that the audience would be fully aware that this was indeed a work of pure fiction. 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 2

The sheer impossibilty of any servant of the Great Western Railway acting in such a way would have been deemed quite sufficient to protect the company's reputation as would the absurdity of someone in a car or even a Tiger Moth (cruising speed 75knots-86MPH) having the remotest chance of catching up with one of the GWR's flyers. As for the fine Swindon built locomotive hauling such a train actually slipping, well they probably included that very early on to ensure that the audience would be fully aware that this was indeed a work of pure fiction. 

Note: The following collection of facts may differ from alternative facts.

David, I see, I think...

Because of the company's reputation, the public would refuse to believe that one of its employees could behave in a criminally insane manner, and this would protect the company's reputation.

The Tiger Moth certainly was not a high-speed machine, though my well-thumbed copy of Ian Allan's "R.A.F. Aircraft of World War II" allows it a cruising speed of 89 m.p.h., with a maximum of 109 m.p.h. Tregenna Castle, holder of the world record for a steam locomotive pulling a train from Swindon to Paddington, averaged 81.7 m.p.h. start-to-stop on that run, with a maximum of 92 m.p.h. (O.S. Nock's "Rail, Steam and Speed"). Whether or not the aircraft could have caught the loco could have been a close-run thing, depending on circumstances.

Finally, the close-ups of the loco's drivers slipping were included to show (loco engineering-savvy audiences?) that what follows is not to be taken seriously. 

• Like 2

There's a wonderful scene in "Mr Hulot's Holiday" that highlights the importance of listening to station announcements..........

The curious thing about this sequence is that it was shot at two different stations. The main part with the misdirected passengers was shot in a day at Argentan in Normandy  and this was commemorated by a frieze in the station concourse. The "passengers" were locals and station staff including Rollande Buin, who wore a check dress and worked at Argentan station for thirty six years. The earlier scene of passengers milling around and the family and luggage trolley were though shot at a different station- almost certainly Dol de Bretagne in Brittany. Why he did this isn't clear but I suspect he simply found that the Argentan scenes weren't quite enough for his montage suggesting the whole of France heading off for its annual vacation by train, bus and car, (including M. Hulot in his  hilariously decrepit 1924  Salmson) so filmed a couple more shots later. The two shots at Dol de Bretagne probably wouldn't have required the closure of the whole station. 

The two locos at Argentan were ex Etat 141C Mikados and at the time of filming still carried their pre-nationalisation boiler side number plates. 

Edited by Pacific231G

Hope all of you who couldn't get channel 81 have now done a retune. I did my non-HD TV first, and can now get it on that, and last night, before I returned the HD TV, channel 81 on it was displaying a message saying a retune was required. All now done, and I can now get Talking Pictures on both TVs.

So those of you in an area where you could not previously get channel 81, you should now be OK.

I've just seen the pilot of a Netflix series 'The Crown', being the history of our queen.

Apparently she went to Balmoral in 1951 behind a green 9F in a maroon Mk1 carriage...

And where does the idea that Castles didn't slip leaving Paddington come from? They certainly did c1960 when I was spotting. Massively. Yugely.

• Like 2

I've just seen the pilot of a Netflix series 'The Crown', being the history of our queen.

Apparently she went to Balmoral in 1951 behind a green 9F in a maroon Mk1 carriage...

And where does the idea that Castles didn't slip leaving Paddington come from? They certainly did c1960 when I was spotting. Massively. Yugely.

Presumably retrieved from Box Tunnel especially for the occasion ;).

If I edit the relevant Wikipedia article to incorporate that information, can I quote you, Dick?

If I edit the relevant Wikipedia article to incorporate that information, can I quote you, Dick?

Well, it's a pretty strong memory, and all that we saw leaving were Castles and Counties. They started up just like any big-wheel passenger loco, creep, slip, crawl, slip a bit more, found their feet, off they go.

I was 10 or so at the time, but the only mainline departures we saw were at Paddington and Kings X.

I'll look for video evidence.

• Like 1

I see - I hadn't realised. But whatever, that's what I remember. And I'd rather not have my name put on Wiki by third parties, please. Doesn't anyone else remember it?

Don't worry, Dick; my mention of Wikipedia was meant as a leg-pull. Anything an editor adds to Wikipedia should be backed up by reference to a reputable published source; otherwise it would be queried, and, if not supported in a satisfactory manner, deleted. 

• Like 1