Railway footage in feature films and television...

And now watching These incredible men in their flying machines where the Jones Goods is pretending to be a French loco. Terry Thomas what a boundah!

With one famous dusty enthusiast stowing away in the carriages during filming...

• RMweb Premium

According to IMDb the programme was filmed in Ireland, and the railway was the Downpatrick And County Down Railway, although I couldn't reconcile what I saw on screen with the pictures on the downrail website.

Thanks. That explains the small continental industrial locomotive hauling a full-size clerestory carriage, at any rate! The 1979 film which attempted another explanation of the same events used 'Flying Scotsman' renumbered as several other Gresley pacifics, IIRC, which was slightly more convincing.

Edited by 4069

The BBC/Netflix new animated version of Watership Down, shown over the past weekend, included a passable representation of a BR blue class 50 (mowing down some rabbits) as well as a train of blue/grey carriages.  A class 50 might well have been appropriate to the Hampshire setting.

• RMweb Gold

I've trawled this thread and the most recent posts with interest, and I hope to avoid the repeats that crop up. The Netflix BBC production of The Bodyguard has a strong train and railway theme at the start. It's all very confusing with lots of library shots and various high speed sections before the whole train (hauled by a 47) ends up in some ecs yard where our hero deals with the

suicide bomber.

The trains were interesting as is the delectable Keeley Hawes but the rest of it was utter rubbish...

The idea of a soldier with diagnosed PTSD ever getting to that post is ludicrous, as was his dealing with that suicide bomb situation. I should thank Netflix and the BBC for making both serious matters a laughing stock!

Still the opening trains are interesting. It's on iPlayer and Netflix

Edited by daveyb

I stumbled across this song a year or so ago and I'm hooked. I'm not 100% sure on the location with a bulleid Pacific and 5MT on shed. Oh boy I wouldn't be to happy to be in the inspection pit with a engine coming from behind. But a good song all the same.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've just watched The Grand Budapest Hotel. Does anyone know where the trains (just brief glimpses) were filmed? It looked like one of the Saxon narrow gauge lines, and given that many scenes were filmed in Görlitz and Dresden, that seems quite likely.

Some very odd railway scenes in the 'ABC Murders' tonight.

Poirot caught a train from London to Andover that ran through mountain scenery!

His journey back was apparently on the LNER!

Several other shots were difficult to place, too.

Was that his trip back, or of Cust travelling to Bexhill (on the South Coast)...?? But with the tracks literally on the beach...

Ages ago I mentioned a Western making a brief appearance alongside Southall gasworks in 'The Sweeney' in 1975, nearest I can get to it is this hastily blagged screen grab of its Mk2 stock following behind. The episode in question is an absolute classic (amongst many) entitled 'Faces', which was filmed in February / March of '75 and broadcast on 8th September that year...

post-7638-0-02783500-1545919181_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Morecombe and Wise,  the sign off scene of  the televised show, Eric and Ernie would leave centre stage, as the  stage curtains opened, revealing a back projection film shot of a Western diesel  ( filmed from a low level camera in the four foot) would  be heading at express speed directly towards the duo,  the curtains would quickly slam shut  to complete the scene

Edited by Pandora

Some very odd railway scenes in the 'ABC Murders' tonight.

Poirot caught a train from London to Andover that ran through mountain scenery!

His journey back was apparently on the LNER!

Several other shots were difficult to place, too.

There was a fair amount of railway content in the three episodes, some good, eg the train interior shots, and some distinctly not good, such as the little known LNER route between London and Andover mentioned above, and in last night's final part, trains racing headlong towards red signals which change to green just as they reach them, and even worse, just before a train passes at speed, points change to divert it away from the (*Spoiler Alert*) innocent patsy lying on the track !

a film lastnight called shadowlands with Anthony Hopkins, i wasnt watching but was in the room at he time for a few minutes, a scene with a balck 5 pulling away from a station which i couldnt quite recognise, its from 1993 so all i could think of was bury bolton street

a film lastnight called shadowlands with Anthony Hopkins, i wasnt watching but was in the room at he time for a few minutes, a scene with a balck 5 pulling away from a station which i couldnt quite recognise, its from 1993 so all i could think of was bury bolton street

Loughborough (GCR) masquerading as Oxford.

If anyone gets Talking Pictures TV. Tonight 1st Jan, at 19:45...that's 7:45pm in english the BFI film Snow is on - A look at the efforts of British Railways in coping with the 1963 cold wave. Not sure if this is the same film as Snow drift at Bleath Gill

Edited by jetmorgan

If anyone gets Talking Pictures TV. Tonight at 19:45...that's 7:45pm in english the BFI film Snow is on - A look at the efforts of British Railways in coping with the 1963 cold wave. Not sure if this is the same film as Snow drift at Bleath Gill

No it's a completely different flim, essentially some excellent filming from the 1963 freeze of pw gangs, snowploughs and a variety of trains, from loose coupled steam hauled coal trains to the Blue Pullman, augmented by archive shots from earlier winters. It is cut entirely without dialogue to a dramatic music track produced by Johnny Hawksworth and Daphne Oram (co-founder of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop and a pioneer of electronic music)  .There is an entirely proper emphasis on trains succesfully running at speed past lines of stranded trucks and cars on  the roads. Sad to think that a couple of few years after BR staff were heroically keeping the whole network open as vital national arteries  the government decided to close half of its services down.

I've just watched it from youTube and did reconginse a few shots from the much earlier 1955 Snowdrift at Bleath Gill

Both films are excellent and, if you don't want to wait for this evening, the BFI has posted both of them on YouTube 

Snow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl4pJwcE7JI

Snowdrift at Bleath Gill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ugIoMD495E

Edited by Pacific231G

After some mighty fine Sweeney action, I caught the final sequence of 1975's 'Brannigan,' featuring John Wayne, earlier.  This looked like it was filmed in the East End, what is now Docklands, with an elevated railway and one scene inside what appeared to be a gantry-mounted signalbox. 

Wikipedia says it was shot in West India Quay, and also featured (a young) Tony Robinson, although I confess I didn't recognise the latter any better than the neglected dockside!

• Like 2