China Clay JIA

mp55aec

Hi,

Ive got a lonesome Loadhaul class 56 thats in need of a train to pull, I'm tempted to get some of the nice Dapol/Kernow JIA Imerys China Clay hoppers, im not a purist but were Loadhaul ever been in charge of this train?,I have seen photos of class 60 with silver bullets but none of these hoppers with a loadhaul loco be it a 56 or anything else, failing that I will wait for the Polybulks as this I have seen with a loadhaul 56 :)

Thanks

MP

Hi,

Thanks for that, guess I will wait for some Bachmann polybulks then,

I'm not a OO modeller but I keep seeing reference to the Bachmann Polybulks as "Bulk Grain Bogie Hopper" and that they are correct period-wise "1971-1994", this to me implies that they will be hatched top ones rather than swing top. I could well be wrong as I'm an N man so I don't pay very close attention to things twice the size!

Though if you are after a clay related train then I'm sure you could justify Dapol (not so)Silver Bullets, as these worked t'up north from Cornwall in the period, I think the last train was in July 1995, so a Loadhaul Grid could have ended up on them if the Transrail tractors came off in the Midlands for some reason, this is assuming you're not modelling Cornwall, as Martyn says a 56 isn't the sort of traction which turned up in Cornwall. That said during 1990 56013 made her way to Cornwall for a very very brief time, so a Coal Sector 56013 on a rake of CDAs would prototypical for a 1990 layout.

Cheers,

Jack

I'm not a OO modeller but I keep seeing reference to the Bachmann Polybulks as "Bulk Grain Bogie Hopper" and that they are correct period-wise "1971-1994", this to me implies that they will be hatched top ones rather than swing top. I could well be wrong as I'm an N man so I don't pay very close attention to things twice the size!

Though if you are after a clay related train then I'm sure you could justify Dapol (not so)Silver Bullets, as these worked t'up north from Cornwall in the period, I think the last train was in July 1995, so a Loadhaul Grid could have ended up on them if the Transrail tractors came off in the Midlands for some reason, this is assuming you're not modelling Cornwall, as Martyn says a 56 isn't the sort of traction which turned up in Cornwall. That said during 1990 56013 made her way to Cornwall for a very very brief time, so a Coal Sector 56013 on a rake of CDAs would prototypical for a 1990 layout.

Cheers,

Jack

Be warned any item that seem to be in OO seems to be in the Farish range very soon after!

Though they have been used for other traffic:-

Lime from Dowlow

Patent fuel from the Continent.

Silica for Dow-Corning

There others that I can't remember at present.

Mmmm hope grain for my loaf wasnt carried in these after Lime and Silica , perhaps thats why im at the dentist so often :stinker:

Mmmm hope grain for my loaf wasnt carried in these after Lime and Silica , perhaps thats why im at the dentist so often :stinker:

Though Bachmann keep talking about 'Bulk Grain', the ones they show in the publicity are very definitely the swing-roof variety. The only time I've heard about these being used for grain was bringing animal feed as a return load to Pinhoe after delivering china-clay to mainland Europe, way back in the 1970s.

These wagons haven't always worked as block trains; the ones to Dow Corning at Cadoxton worked in Speedlink, then Enterprise, workings, as did the ones to Mossend from Dowlow. The ones loaded with 'patent fuel' apparently went to a Coal Concentration depot, but I can't find out which one.

These wagons have lasted remarkably well; the first were built in 1973, I believe.

Yes ive seen several colours on these like the old Traffic Services green,,,does anyone know the UIC code for these wagons?

Uafoos

Have a look at Martyn Read's site for some images:-

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/J-/JIA-Traffic-ServicesVTG/18685234_4BzDb3#1444979801_SGQZcrn

and these are NACCO ones to the same design:-

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/I/IRB-covered-hoppers/16543000_mRSkXs#1245584859_bDcQ7

At various times, there have also been 'Tiger Rail' and 'Compagnié du Midi' examples in the UK

Thanks for the pic links, they a very European looking, ive seen their larger sisters abroad and they look huge with Transcereales in France and Italy, lots of livery choice for Bachmann then :)

The cereal ones are a lot bigger- I think the biggest is now about 100 cu. metre capacity. Here's a link to a French site:-

http://www.photos-ferroviaires.fr/index.php?/category/wagon_sncf_cerealier_uagps

showing just some of the liveries. Hornby, in their Rivarossi and Jouef ranges, along with Marklin, have done a lot of the liveries over the years.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

The Bachmann OO Polybulks are going to be the shorter swing top variant. I think that Bachmann originally suggested they would do the longer grain Polybulk as well, but have put that on hold for the time being.

In N, the longer version is available (in either Grainflow green or Scottish Malt blue/white) as a kit from the N Gauge Society.

So for N Gaugers at least, Bachmann are producing the right variant, since when shrunk down to N it will complement the already available option.

cheers

Ben A.

• 9 years later...
4 hours ago, design8027 said:

Did any of the Kernow JIA tiger China clay wagons ever make it up to Corpach? Basically would like to know what types of China clay wagons worked over the West Highland Line in the late 80s/early 90s?

It would have been mainly PRA covered wagons and later ICA silver bullets on the whl traffic.

The earlier tiger PBA hoppers may have made it there (they certainly got to Markinch) but the nacco JIAs are a later build.

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Railfreight1998 said:

The earlier tiger PBA hoppers may have made it there (they certainly got to Markinch) but the nacco JIAs are a later build.

Apologies for some slight thread drift but the PBA wagons are of particular interest to me. I’ve seen pictures of them in trains being hauled by lots of different classes of locomotive (08, 20, 25, 31, 33, 37, 40, 45, 46, 47, 50, 56, 58, 60, 85, 86, 87 and 90) but would like to know if there were any others. The fact that they got to Markinch (of which I was previously unaware) means that classes 26 and 27 are possible candidates and I’m sure some 81s must have hauled them on WCML Speedlinks in the early 1980s. Maybe a 73 too somewhere on the Southern. If anyone has any pictures of any of these classes hauling PBAs I’d love to see them.