Hornby 2012 - Reasonable Speculation Thread!

S.A.C Martin

Guest 40-something

I'm not getting my hopes up particularly for the Gresley J50 that I have wishlisted every year for the last five years - I can't see it getting made, even in the Railroad range using the old Lima tooling.

Bet they do, after all, I spent months upgrading one this year!!!

Air-con Mk2s must surely be getting close to the top of the To-Do list? Same with 21T MDVs, 21T hoppers, original Freightliner flats and 64' DMUs (thinking 116/117/121/122 here). I think that the BR CCT and 101's turn must almost be here but I can see them from Bachmann.

Pix

Larry, I'd love an H class from Kernow, but somehow I would have thought an Adams Radial more likely as it fits in with their LSWR theme. I hope I'm proved wrong though.

An 0395 or Black Motor would be more useful. although probably less likely to sell.

Hornby aren't doing a 2-Bil. At least not until I've managed to finish a couple more of the Ian Kirk ones in my to do pile.....

• RMweb Premium

Interesting to see how far down the list some of the actual or proposed releases are ranked. SR Gate Stock and O2 for instance.

Yep, the Desiro languishes at number 558 in the 2009 poll as well

I think I might dip my toe in the water for this years predictions.

I don't think we will see an LNER B2 or streamlined B17 this year from Hornby as the B1's and B17's should just becoming available. Similarly I don't think a G5 will be a contender as I don't think the new build is far enough along to capture the general publics imagination just yet - it will probably be a contender for 2013.

I am going to pin my hat on a 2BIL for the southern and a Class 90 electric to be announced. THe class 90 has a whole range of liveries to be exploited and the existing tooling can be moved to the Railroad range.

Similarly I can see a Class 73 update to be announced rather than a Class 67 as the class 73 has more liveries to producxe including a pullman livery.

I have a feeling the steam announcement will be a revised GWR King to take advantage of the Hawksworths in the Hornby range.

If I am to go for a shot in the dark it would be an LNER C1 / SR H2. Bachmann has started to move into the pre-grouping steam locomotives and I can see Hornby following.

I will have a think on for wagons and carriages - as i am supposed to be working!

Ahhh - letting the frothing begin.

I wonder whether a 94xx using the LIma tooling and a new chassis might be an option for the railroad range.

I'm not expecting any more suburban stock just yet, I seem to recall there was a two year gap between most of the introduction of the corridor stock. But if there is some I don't expect it to be GWR :scratchhead: not for a while yet.

Perhaps a bit more gap filling. A GWR restaurant car would be nice, but given Hawksworth didn't design one would mean a completely new tooling for both body and undercarriage.

Perhaps we might get some other smaller GWR engine, we do seem to have had smaller engines for the other companies. I would rather not see a reworked 48xx or 61xx. Surely something new would sell better. A big tank engine might sit well with Hornby's preoccupations with big express engines.

As you can tell my preoccupations are Western, I shall leave everyone else to froth over the rest of the Big Four

• RMweb Gold

I would say that that is inevitable, but perhaps a little closer to the launch of 'Beachy Head'.

If they wanted to gain some good karma, they might do a sponsorship deal with £1 from each sale going to the new loco fund etc. Ok, I'll dream on.....

I would say that that is inevitable, but perhaps a little closer to the launch of 'Beachy Head'.

I thought that but I reasoned that Hornby might want a flagship pre-grouping locomotive to dip their toe in this market and there is an LNER C1 in the national collection and the loco has polled qute well in the wish lists....

Well we've seen spoiling tactics from Hornby before (Tornado, Compound)and there is a preparedness to go for some duplication (4MT, B1), so as has been said before, I would not at all be surprised to see a Railroad or Mid -Fi Blue Pullman.

Bachmann led the way on the 3rd rail market with the 4 CEP to be followed by Hornby and the 4 VEP, so as Bachmann are bringing the new Desiro to the market I'd bet on a 25Kv EMU . Electrostar (do they exist in 25kv form as well as dc?) Or maybe 313/314/315 or 317/318 or given that they are about to be cascaded nationwide 319. Sorry to be so imprecise I should perhaps just say 25kv emu. I also predict It'll have the Limby power unit

In the same imprecise manner, Bachmann doing a Class 85 so I'd reckon on Hornby jumping on the 25kv bandwagon, linked to the above and producing a new 25Kv loco. I'd reckon on a new model 90 (plenty of liveries) with an 81 as second option (could they re motor the old Triang - Hornby one and stick it in the Railroad Range? ).

Steamers. Well various GWR tanks 2-8-0 and 2-8-2 have been on wishlists for some time . So thats a possibility. It'll be something from near the top of the annual wishlist .

Coaches . How about a CK in the Stanier range, filling an important gap (although they may feel sales will be affected by forthcoming less expensive Bachmann porthole stock). Are there any more Pullman variations they can make? They see to have a fixation on Pullman stock.

Wagons. I think they'll wait and see how the market accepts their higher priced offerrings before deciding whether to continue .

Guest 40-something

DCC Giraffe car? ;-)

I'll get me coat.......................

Sticking your neck out there....

Coat on, heading out the door..

Or maybe 313/314/315

That's a good idea, and one I had utterly failed to consider. "PEP" stock has the potential to be in the catalogue for a long time and offers potential for variants with numerous liveries and wide geographical spread including the Merseyrail and Strathclyde EMUs. Stock in the original blue/grey livery now looks rather stylish, and they seem likely to be with us for a long while yet.

And I love the idea of a new APT model but I suspect that's way too big a leap before Hornby has seen how the Brighton Belle sells in this economic climate.

Paul

Javelin set in new high speed Anglo Scottish livery. Could even include a panda car.

No, not that sort of panda car.

Borders Rail DMU. If they announce it now they might get it out by 2014 for the opening.

Edinburgh tram. Even longer time scale to produce that one.

Resin building of Leith grain warehouse to go with above.

Ooops, Sorry, they have abandoned that part of the route.

Thompson coaches to go with the B1.

Small Southern loco. Adams Radial.

Big BR loco. Duke of Gloucester.

Bernard

My expectation is that there will be no new lner classes given the volume this year, probably a new lms and gw loco given both seem to be lagging in numbers behind sr/lner

A new LMS loco from Hornby would be interesting, as unless they go down the route of redoing something we've already seen (2P or 4F would probably be top of that list), picking off one of the remaining Bachmann split-chassis legacy (Parallel Scot?) or needless duplication there's not really that much left to do of the standard LMS designs beyond the Stanier 2-6-0, the Fowler/Stanier 2-6-2Ts or the 'Austin Seven'.

Otherwise, if we see anything LMS, they'll need to look slightly further into left-field and tackle something from the pre-grouping inheritance- So far that's been firmly Bachmann territory (G2, S&D 7F, 3F), and we'd be looking at a freight loco or a tank loco to find something that had a decent post-1948 lifespan and BR livery options.

CR '439' 0-4-4T perhaps? We're certainly not going to get Hornby's usual big shiny express passenger loco, unless they take a real flier on something like a Claughton...

Larry, I'd love an H class from Kernow, but somehow I would have thought an Adams Radial more likely as it fits in with their LSWR theme. I hope I'm proved wrong though.

I'm looking forward to seeing some green pairs from Hornby, though since I already have a lot of money reserved for Kernow's excellent limited editions (LSWR gate stock, 02, re-release of the Well Tank hopefully) and a couple of Bachmann's SECR C class and Dukedog (not my region, but what a choice of locomotive) frankly I'm praying for a quiet year off from Hornby this year!

Hornby do seem to like their Southern locos (and seem to shift plenty of them in my present neck of the woods), so I wouldn't be too surprised to see something new and Southern in the list. That H- or maybe an L1 4-4-0 (remember the old Triang one) might fit the bill?

Archived