Hornby 2012 - Reasonable Speculation Thread!

S.A.C Martin

I've got this 'orrible scenario lurking in the back of my mind which foresees us being offered two 'Stars' in 2013, probably all depends on a decision made in York being whispered about in Margate :O .....

In that case, I look forward to Hornby's interpretation of the Vulcan Foundry Chinese 4-8-4, and the section of the Japanese "Bullet Train". In 4mm scale.

• RMweb Gold

The question with these models is how they might be differentiated for an NRM limited edition compared with what is already released.

Besides these (and Lode Star in Mike's hint above) is there a locomotive Hornby (to keep this on topic) could likely do for the NRM?

We don't know the extent of the NRM's agreement with Bachmann but the pattern seems to be an original newly tooled loco from that source every other year while the Hornby tie-in has always been based on existing tooling. And the latter path leads basically to the 'Duchess' (but perhaps in streamlined form?), unless we're going to get half a 'Merchant Navy' :O But what if the NRM was to do commissioned or jointly developed coaching stock, or even wagons - interesting idea that but perhaps not for January?

Surely some Network Rail Mk2(d?) shall be announced! They have the Class 31 on release now with no Hornby coaches to run with it! (Great that Model Rail keep on comissioning coaches for Network Rail, but they inform me Hornby is unwilling to do a limited run of Mk2 NR coaches....perhaps this is because some are to be a general release in the 2012 line up?)

But what if the NRM was to do commissioned or jointly developed coaching stock, or even wagons - interesting idea that but perhaps not for January?

(L)NER dynamometer car? If the NRM wanted to do coaches, this is the logical one. Hornby does do a nice teak finish.

And I somehow think the chances of our seeing Toplights emerging via Margate is not much better than seeing ECJS coaches from that source, they're just that bit too early to suit Hornby who would probably be looking for stock that survived into BR maroon (if it's off the Western).

Perhaps not the Toplights.. but maybe re-tooled Collett's... and... if we are really lucky, the 70' variety as I am pretty sure they lasted long enough to get Crimson / Cream at least.

(L)NER dynamometer car? If the NRM wanted to do coaches, this is the logical one. Hornby does do a nice teak finish.

I think this is a great idea given the prices the D&S kits go for on Ebay but I think this might be more for 2013 to tie in with the celebrations for Mallards record breaking run. I believe the NRM is getting all six remaining A4's together for the celebration. I could see a ltd edition trainpack of Mallard and the dynamometer car would be a good seller? Certainly get the collectors and modellers drooling at the same time!

Not exacly a kettle, as we know it, but how about a Turbomotive ?.

The cost of the extra tooling needed for the running plate cowling, would, possibly, be recovered by that saved on the simplified valve gear!

Not exacly a kettle, as we know it, but how about a Turbomotive ?.

The cost of the extra tooling needed for the running plate cowling, would, possibly, be recovered by that saved on the simplified valve gear!

Would this be in original condition or as a rebuilt?

If so would you want an update to the Princess Royal classes made by Hornby?

Would this be in original condition or as a rebuilt?

If so would you want an update to the Princess Royal classes made by Hornby?

AH, ..The technicalities ?

Taking the Hornby point of view, l'd go for the cheapest option

I'm sure addition parts can be done for the Turbomotive, if we are going down this route how about 6399 Fury surely this will be different boiler for a Royal Scot model.

It was satify those modellers who like running one off prototypes on their layout to go with the likes of Lion, Kestrel and DP2 etc.

Perhaps Hornby would like to reintroduce their class 37 regional railways model back into their Railroad range. It wasn't a too bad a model for a budget model apart from a few comments about the shading of the grey used on lining was incorrect but this could be easily hidden by weathering. I believe it had an updated Lima Chassis which was DCC ready and retailed in some shops for about £40. This would go nicely with the regional railways liveried class 31 I believe is forthcomimg in the railroad range.

Maybe we might see some of the old Mk1 coaches enter the railroad range this year in Regional railways livery along with the ex Dapol class 155 in the same scheme. Thus creating a nice niche for late 1980s modelling for some.

Just had a thought, with the arguments about duplicated models between Bachmann and Hornby how do you think this idea would pan out?

What would happen if Hornby were to release a long firebox version of an LMS Jubilee, I guess they could use parts from their Rebuilt Scot/Patriot to reduce developemnt costs. This would be a different variation to Bachmanns latest superb (short firebox) model. Similarly they could develop their railroad 9f to produce a Crosti boilered 9F.

These loco's would be different from Bachmanns offerings, and would sort of be complimenting each others ranges without possibly reducing each others sales?

Just a ponderance....

• RMweb Premium

Just had a thought, with the arguments about duplicated models between Bachmann and Hornby how do you think this idea would pan out?

What would happen if Hornby were to release a long firebox version of an LMS Jubilee, I guess they could use parts from their Rebuilt Scot/Patriot to reduce developemnt costs. This would be a different variation to Bachmanns latest superb (short firebox) model. Similarly they could develop their railroad 9f to produce a Crosti boilered 9F.

These loco's would be different from Bachmanns offerings, and would sort of be complimenting each others ranges without possibly reducing each others sales?

Just a ponderance....

When Bachmann announced that they were going to produce the Jubilee they stated that both the short and long firebox variants would be catered for. Coming up for two years ago I enquired with Dennis Lovett at the Bachmann stand at the AMRSS Exhibition in Glasgow about the non appearance of the long firebox version preferably coupled with a Fowler tender as there were many in that guise in Scotland. He replied that the Jubilee had not been a good seller and that this version was not in their plans at that time, fair enough as it is all down to a commercial return. I do not know what the current Bachmann view is.

Archived