Dapol Easi-shunt magnetic couplings in N

Andy Y

Hi

1128/29 come in basically 4 parts the knuckle, the deflector,the spring and the keeper, The knuckle and the deflector parts have a 'T' bar so on Peco wagons you would remove the rapido coupling and then replace with the MT ones. this way you use the original coupler pocket should you need to go back you can.

1015/16 or 1125's the spring sits inside the coupler and there is no 'T' bar so yes you would need to make them up with the coupler box and remove the one on the Wagon, admittedly if you was to buy the ready built versions of the 1015/16 it would be easier but at the loss of not being reversible.

The 1128/29 or even 1130's are a little fiddly to try and hold together I admit but a little patience and good eyesight to see where the springs have gone (them springs are tiny) I find the best way is a tiny amount of superglue in the spring keeper then using tweezers to hold the two coupler parts together into the keeper ease the whole thing into the Peco pocket and then slide the keeper forward until it won't go any more (easier to do than explain) then a dab of superglue at the back of the keeper to just hold it in place and your done.

The amount of superglue is tiny so won't stop the rapido couplers being replaced if needs be, why you would want to I not sure exceptHi

to sell or P/X the wagon

Cheers

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi

The 1128/29 or even 1130's are a little fiddly to try and hold together I admit but a little patience and good eyesight to see where the springs have gone (them springs are tiny) I find the best way is a tiny amount of superglue in the spring keeper then using tweezers to hold the two coupler parts together into the keeper ease the whole thing into the Peco pocket and then slide the keeper forward until it won't go any more (easier to do than explain) then a dab of superglue at the back of the keeper to just hold it in place and your done.

Cheers

Mark

Hi

Does this allow the forward and backward movement of the coupler in the Peco pocket? I must admit I have always removed the Peco ones as I didn't think they would work in these pockets.

Cheers

Paul

Hi

It seems to but as the coupler is pressing against a spring so I would guess that it would be pushed forward automatically, as yet I have only done a couple of trix coaches but having had a good look at the Peco coupler pocket I can't see any reason for these MT couplers not to fit they are after all the MT Universal coupler that is used on American stock where there is no direct replacement.

I will have a go at a couple of wagons over the weekend and report back (if I can persuade my son from his room I will get him to take some pictures) at least pictures can't be heard :stinker:

Greetings.

I've now received my ten-pack of couplings and am playing with them, firstly on Fleischmann, Brawa and Modellbahn Union stock as well as Dapol. No problems fitting the coupler heads or getting them to work over a Kato Unitrak embedded magnet in my test track.

On the layout I've tried Rare earth magnets, 2mm diameter and 1mm deep- possibly too small for the job. Mounting them vertically needed four to the stack and the top one needed to be well proud of sleeper level to the extent it was derailing wagons and sticking to loco wheels in passing.

After trials I have come up with mounting a stack of four horizontally across the trackbed. The most effective way seems to be set between the sleepers with the top edge just reaching railhead level. The limiting factor is the Brawa refrigeretor wagons I have.

The Brawa wagons have a particular problem, and this is with the NEM mount itself. This has sideways movement but a good degree of vertical slop- to the extent that the trip pin is pulled downwards as much as sideways- hence mounting the magnets so high- it means the trip pins on the Brawa wagons HAVE to stay in the correct vertical plane and uncoupling can take place.

I wonder if excessive vertical slop in NEM pockets could have been a factor in Microtrains not making an NEM version of their coupling?

There is a video under Layout Topics- Furtwangen Ost. Apologies for knocking the camera off its mount at the end- my dyspraxia rules, KO?

Edited by Les1952

I'm itching to get these magnetic uncouplers on my layout ,,,,,, but I'm a novice and starting from scratch so I want to wait until the locos and rolling stock with them already fitted become available. Anybody know when this'll be?

• RMweb Premium

In the past Dave has said that the locos should start appearing soon with these couplings but I don't remember if there has been anything said about the other Dapol rolling stock.

• RMweb Gold

I brought a multipack of these recently and all I can say is I'm totally impressed. It has certainly transformed shunting and my Farish Class 03/24 are more than happy shunting a few wagons around. I've modified the mounting on the Farish wagons and glued them in place. On one wagon I've reduced the length of the coupling shaft as well.

I didn't go down the Dapol magnet route as I'm trying to make this less obtrusive. On my test track using Peco Code 55 track I brought the smallest circular magnets I could get from Maplins. I cut away the sleepers and placed one magnet underneath each side of the rail.

Success of sorts.

The locos, Presflos and the BR brakevan all uncouple beautifully. The Conflat and 12T box van due to their lightness get sucked down by a powerful magnetic force into another world! The idea on a layout would be to sink the magnet in the same position but in the cork underlay.

I'm in the process of planning a layout and was wondering whether anyone had tried this idea or those suggested below?

First idea is using the PK Mag electromagnet from MSE? I haven't wired mine up yet-just in case I end up with a spectactular A Team wagon launched in to mid air effect. Is this feasible?

The other idea I came across was this piece of kit from Microtrains and wondered if it would work with the Dapol Easi-shunt couplers?

http://www.kato-unit...net-8250-0.html

Any suggestions or comments welcome.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

The other idea I came across was this piece of kit from Microtrains and wondered if it would work with the Dapol Easi-shunt couplers?

http://www.kato-unit...net-8250-0.html

I do not know about this one specifically but reports on the NGauge yahoo group suggest that uncouplers design for MTs work perfectly well with the Dapol couplers.

Not even close to what Microtrains sell for here in the States (approx. £2 a pair depending on the exchange rate du jour)

One thing to bear in mind when comparing prices with microtrains is to remember that the Dapol couplers come fully assembled and ready to plug in. I do not know about all the different flavours that MT produce but at least some of them seem to be self assembly.

I recently bought a pack of 1129s to fit to some of my older Rapido stock so that I could tests its interoperability with the Dapol couplers. They may be cheaper than the Dapol ones but you have to put them together yourself (including the fun of those tiny springs).

I am sure I will manage one way or another and I will post the results on here together with pictures once I have anything to report.

Edited by Karhedron
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi 4644, if you're starting a layout and your using cork then you can easily bury the Dapol magnet in a slight hole under the track and then add thin sleepers back where you cut them away, it works and hides them well:

SI856956.jpg

SI856958.jpg

With weathering they'd all but dissapear

Hope this helps

Simon

Edited by MrSimon
  • Like 1

The idea on a layout would be to sink the magnet in the same position but in the cork underlay.

That works fine, this under code 55 track...

3 After track

It may well do, but they are pricier than the Dapol magnets.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening,

Thanks for all your replies chaps.

Looking at Simon's and Dave's approach it may be worth sticking with the Dapol magnets sunk in cork.

I'm going to order some of these and experiment a bit further on my small shunting plank before I progress on to my main project,

All I can say is that Dapol have done a cracking job with these Easi-shunt couplings and should be applauded.

Thanks once again.

Mark

• Like 1

I was told that the new Dapol loco's would come with the mag couplers fitted, but now I'm being told they'll have standard couplers fitted but mag ones supplied in the fittings kit. The latter seems more likely ...... anyone know for sure?

• RMweb Premium

I was told that the new Dapol loco's would come with the mag couplers fitted, but now I'm being told they'll have standard couplers fitted but mag ones supplied in the fittings kit. The latter seems more likely ...... anyone know for sure?

Given how easy it is to change couplers now (unclip old one, clip new one in) it makes very little difference which coupling is attached in the box.

Hi,

In drop testing on the A4 and A3 loco's there has been problems with them fitted with these couplers, so we will fit them with rapido's and have a pair of magnetic ones on the packaging.

It's annoying I know but to prevent damage a necessity.

Interestingly enough the drop test and long distance transport test with 2 diesels fitted with these couplers proved ok, so they will come factory fitted.

I'm in the factory next week and I will clarify for you.

Cheers

Dave

Well apart from the terrier we don't recommend less than 10 1/2 inch radius curves for our locomotives.

Most modern built stock ,both passenger, and freight will have close coupling systems and should have no problems but in all honesty it's probably more trial than error on this, as we have customers say that some loco's will go round 9" radius on their track.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

more single pair packs of couplers in at Dapol HQ today and these include spare springs as well.

Talking of which we will have spare springs available in a few weeks for those that need them.

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

That's fantastic news re: the spare springs.

How are these spares going to made available by the way?

Once again, thanks for a great product and also being receptive to ideas-such as the availability of these springs.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444