Dapol Easi-shunt magnetic couplings in N

Andy Y

Where have people been aquiring the Dapol couplings and magnets from?

I've tried three different model shops in various places as I've been passing through Modelzone-Reading, Antics-Coventry and a large independent shop in Wakefield, the latter having ordered some before Christmas, but not received any yet.

Are Dapol still feeding things through to their stockists and I just need to be patient?

Hey

I've tried my local (not-so-local) model shop before christmas and today and the chap there was unaware of the product having been released until I told him. Strange because they are normally on top of things there. The online shops seem to have them, but at the going rate, another £4 or so postage is just silly. My local modelzone doesn't stock N gauge unless its Limited edition either... Typical!

I imagine the larger places will have probably expected a decent rush for these and soaked up most of the initial stock?

In the meantime, I'm holding off the ballasting on my layout untill it's worth ordering online or they arrive in the shops :(

Regards

Lee

• Like 1

Hi Lee,

Sorry but ALL stockists received notification of these ( I know as I snail mailed everyone myself), plus my CEO sent out an order form to everyone as well.

I'm not saying this is the case, but some stockists do tend to be more 'on the ball' than others when it comes to being knowledgable about new products, checking the forums or even reading / ordering press releases and order forms.

I can assure you that all stockists in good standing who ordered would have received them or, if the couplers do not make minimum order for post paid, have them waiting for dispatch as soon as the minimum order level is reached.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Dave

edit, as Dave posted while I was typing,

so if a shop has just ordered one or two sets to review, they'll be sat waiting until a complete order can accompany them.

/edit

Antics are normally able to get things in quite easily, and often do manage to get stock that there will be a rush for. (Cov was my local shop before I moved) but their website shows 'available soon' which means they've put an order in, but waiting for the stock still.

I know Dapol are selling from their site, but not sure how much postage is.

Edited by Black Sheep

Hi Lee,

Sorry but ALL stockists received notification of these ( I know as I snail mailed everyone myself), plus my CEO sent out an order form to everyone as well.

I'm not saying this is the case, but some stockists do tend to be more 'on the ball' than others when it comes to being knowledgable about new products, checking the forums or even reading / ordering press releases and order forms.

I can assure you that all stockists in good standing who ordered would have received them or, if the couplers do not make minimum order for post paid, have them waiting for dispatch as soon as the minimum order level is reached.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the info Dave. I very much doubt you would have launched these quietly!

It's a shame the local hasn't got the couplings stocked as I do like to show my support by going to them first - what with being the only decent N gauge supplier in a good 30 mile+ radius!

Guess it'll be one of the online shops that'll get my order this time.

Incidently, is there any more news on the 5 pair packs? No point converting half-hearted! :D

Regards

Lee

I've tried three different model shops in various places as I've been passing through Modelzone-Reading, Antics-Coventry and a large independent shop in Wakefield, the latter having ordered some before Christmas, but not received any yet.

Modelzone in Reading? They're not a Dapol stockist, so I've be very surprised if they had any!

Since Dapol Dave is reading this thread, and the topic of availability has come up, when will the "bulk packs" of 5 pairs of couplers be available? I pre-ordered two bulk packs from Hattons on 8 December but they still do not have them in stock. Are they still on the boat? I am eager to use these couplers!

Also, this is OT, but I wanted to thank Dapol Dave for reading these threads and taking an in interest in his customers concerns. Having had very poor luck with five or six Dapol locos in the past (all returned), knowing the company had a "face" made me not completely give up on Dapol, and the Class 26 I bought was a real winner.

Matt

They werent aware of that! They said they were due a Dapol delivery!

Is a non NEM version planned? Just been given a few older farish models for my birthday and would want to convert them too.

I believe it was mentioned earlier that 2012 would see a 'conversion' package of sorts that, presumably with the removal of the old non-NEM socket, would fit non-NEM stock.

On the engines I've looked at, the magnetic coupler is too short. I'm told that a longer version is or will be available ..... does anyone know anything about this?

..... and when will the magnetic couplers be fitted as standard on the engines and other rolling stock?

I'm going to build an N gauge layout ..... but I want to wait until I know what's happening with the magnetic uncoupling

Hi Rover,

From next month all new locomotives wil be fitted with these couplers as standard.

Longer and shorter arms are under design but the shorter ones might prove problematic due to buffers stopping them close coupling but we'll see.

The non NEM coupling box conversion kit is finishing its design so I hope to have something tangible to show soon on that front too.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Rover,

From next month all new locomotives wil be fitted with these couplers as standard.

Longer and shorter arms are under design but the shorter ones might prove problematic due to buffers stopping them close coupling but we'll see.

The non NEM coupling box conversion kit is finishing its design so I hope to have something tangible to show soon on that front too.

Cheers

Dave

That's good news Dave. Will the new ones have marking on the box just like the DCC ready wording?

Looking forward to see these. Having experimented with a couple of these I am now satisfied that these new couplers are right for me but I have quite a lot of non-NEM stock to convert. I also have a couple of part-built kits that have been put on hold in anticipation of the NEM pockets becoming available. No point in fitting rapido boxes only to have to carve them off later.

Dave, this is a slight odd request but do you have a list anywhere of which models you have produced that have NEM pockets already? I seem to recall that some models like the Colletts started out with standard rapidos but aquired NEMs at some point.

Hi Matt,

As requested and from memory so apologies if any are wrong,

Diesel locos

Class 73 DCC ready, 66,67,58,hymek,86,26,121,HST,

Steam

M7, 14xx revised, b1, b17, britannia,9F,manor, hall, ivatt, A3, A4, terrier

Coaches

Gresley, collets revised, mk3, mk3 DVT, auto coach revised

Freight

Cargowagon, telescopic hood, silver bullet, mega fret, blue spot fish van, spine wagon,

When you look at the list you realise just how small our portfolio is. ( of newer standards, that is).

Cheers

Dave

Hi Rover,

Cheers

Dave

Good news about a shorter coupler (and a longer one for those who need it). Is there any advice on keeping the springs in place better, please? One of mine went walkabout so the pair I bought are sidelined for now.

Mike

• Like 1

Wonder if these can be adapted to OO as it looks a good system,if the longer shank ones come out it might be worthwhile trying them I will have a look when I go to MRScotland .

Nah, get lost! These are only for us N gaugers!

........ Only joking of course. :D

• RMweb Premium
Wonder if these can be adapted to OO as it looks a good system,if the longer shank ones come out it might be worthwhile trying them I will have a look when I go to MRScotland .

Why would you want to,when there are plenty of alternatives available?

Is there any advice on keeping the springs in place better, please? One of mine went walkabout so the pair I bought are sidelined for now.

Following the experiences of others here, i secured mine with a dab of matt varnish at both ends. Time will tell if this is an effective solution but so far so good.

Following the experiences of others here, i secured mine with a dab of matt varnish at both ends. Time will tell if this is an effective solution but so far so good.

Surely these should be more robust to this? People are reporting springs being lost on several lists now.

Couplings need to be robust - if they are already shedding parts then I'd be concerned for future reliability and longevity. And if they've shed springs I'd be sending them back........

Cheers,

Alan

Surely these should be more robust to this? People are reporting springs being lost on several lists now.

Couplings need to be robust - if they are already shedding parts then I'd be concerned for future reliability and longevity. And if they've shed springs I'd be sending them back........

Cheers,

Alan

If I had a pound for every Microtrains or the Bachmann equivalent I had with the trip pin gone AWOL I'd be very rich indeed. It is a problem with ALL of this type, not just Dapol- I like the idea of the matt varnish, however. I was going to use superglue...