Minimum Space O Gauge layout

Warspite

Hello  Stephen.

Have you made anymore building progress with your layout since the August posts?

Regards

Hi Barnaby

Sadly, no. I've been distracted with all sorts of things over the last few months and I haven't been able to do any more to the layout. I want to finish off the entry to the fiddle yard by connecting the two dairy buildings and there is some more detailing to do. 

Mind you, I do have a few ideas about the next layout ....... ;-)

Stephen

Good stuff.

Keep the pictures flowing when you do get around to finishing it off.

Same applies to your ideas for a new layout, I'll book a ticket for the journey from beermat to exhibition.

In the mean time Have a great Christmas and a happy New Year.

Am new here so pls forgive me if I am missing something terribly obvious to everyone else, but has anyone ever built a 'monchrome layout', so the whole thing looks like photos from the early 60s come to (model) life...? Just asking...

A bit late respondinv to this post, but yes; an Ex-member of RMweb did once do a small narrow-gauge diorama in monochrome, & did say at the time it was very hard to get the grey shades to look 'right'. Unfortunately I don't have any pics or links to it myself.

Good stuff.

Keep the pictures flowing when you do get around to finishing it off.

Same applies to your ideas for a new layout, I'll book a ticket for the journey from beermat to exhibition.

In the mean time Have a great Christmas and a happy New Year.

Thanks Barnaby

The new layout is still only at the 'beermat' stage but I'll keep you in the picture - literally!

And Happy New Year to you as well.

Stephen

Stephen. Many have tried, few have suceeded, that stone w/house is a masterpiece. (So is the rest of the layour BTW)  A Very happy new modelling year.    Regards, Ken

Ken

Thanks for this. I really appreciate your comments.

Happy New (Modelling) Year to you as well.

Stephen

• 5 months later...

Hi Barnaby

Thanks for the reminder!  Can't believe it's 6 months since I posted anything on the layout.

Sadly, progress has been very slow due to a combination of circumstances and other priorities.

Good to see your King Street Goods starting to take shape.  You will love the Ixion Fowler with the sound project.  Great little loco.

Best regards

Stephen

• 2 months later...

I've just realised that it's a few months since I posted an update on here and over twelve months since I did any significant work on the layout. Unfortunately, time for modelling has been rather limited.

However, I haven't been entirely inactive during that time and, although I didn't carry out the DCC installation myself, I did complete the painting and weathering on my Ixion Manning Wardle. I've posted an account of the DCC installation with a couple of photos on the 7mm section:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89686-ixion-manning-wardle-0-4-0st/

I've also finished building a Slaters' Vanwide and will post a photo when I've painted, lettered and weathered it.

The three Ixion industrial locos I have acquired aren't really compatible with the current layout but I'm still working on ideas and plans for a new layout and I will post an update at some stage. I just hope it doesn't take me another twelve months to do that!

Stephen

• 4 months later...

Hi Stephen, only just caught up with this today! And it looks brilliant. You might have said somewhere and I've missed it but where did you get the arched industrial windows in your milk depot building?

Regards Les

Hi Les

The windows in the 'old' milk depot building were Duncan Models white metal industrial windows.

Regards

Stephen

Hi Les

The windows in the 'old' milk depot building were Duncan Models white metal industrial windows.

Regards

Stephen

Les

A close-up photo.

post-1610-0-79838200-1423052103.jpg

.... and a link to the page on the Duncan Models web site.  They are the 'Large Round Top Industrial Windows', half way down the page.

http://www.duncanmodels.co.uk/price_list_structures_and_fittings.htm

Regards

Stephen

Thanks so much Stephen. I don't know why I didn't look at Duncan!!! Almost exactly what I need for my Arbroath shed layout.

Sorry to pester you but before I order them can you tell me what size they are? Width and height?

Regards Les

Hi Les

The window frame is 63mm high (to the highest part of the arch) and 33mm wide (the widest part).  This is the 'visible' window frame - you will see from the photo on their web site that there is a narrow hidden edge which on my building is covered by the brick edges ..... if that makes sense!

Regards

Stephen

Many thanks once again Stephen. I know exactly what you mean by the edge because my Townstreet ones are the same. Are they very fragile or do you think they would survive having the bottom 4 panes cut off with a 'whizzer' or whatever the o gauge equivalent is?

Cheers Les

Many thanks once again Stephen. I know exactly what you mean by the edge because my Townstreet ones are the same. Are they very fragile or do you think they would survive having the bottom 4 panes cut off with a 'whizzer' or whatever the o gauge equivalent is?

Cheers Les

Hi Les

As you know, they are white metal but they do seem quite tough. However, I wouldn't want to be responsible if one disintegrated when you were cutting into it!  I would probably try something fairly 'gentle' to start with rather than a powered cutter.

Stephen

• 1 month later...

Hello Stephen any ground work completed on your new ideas & plans you mentioned a few posts back?

Regards

Hi Barnaby

I've being doing more research but otherwise not made any progress on the layout itself.

Since I've now got three Ixion industrials and with the newly launched Minerva Peckett on the horizon (and how nice that looks!), I'm considering ways of modifying the existing layout into an estates railway or other industrial location. Just a thought!

Regards

Stephen

• 5 months later...

Hello Stephen,

As a recent convert to O gauge I have only just come across this thread. Having read through it I am in awe of what you have achieved both in terms of the quality of the modelling and the atmosphere the layout oozes, but also the operational potential of such a small layout.

I am seriously considering using your plan as the basis for what I would like to achieve as it is such an inspirational layout.

I have a couple of questions though.

Firstly, does the 9ft 4" include the fiddle yard?

If not, what length is it, and how is it operated (e.g. sector plate?)

Second question is did you amend the track layout shown on page 1? The dairy siding in the later photos appears to be parallel to the entry track whereas on the earlier photo it looks like it diverges?

I understand that you have probably moved on to other projects now, but any help you can give a budding 7mm newcomer would be much appreciated.

Robin

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Stephen,

As a recent convert to O gauge I have only just come across this thread. Having read through it I am in awe of what you have achieved both in terms of the quality of the modelling and the atmosphere the layout oozes, but also the operational potential of such a small layout.

I am seriously considering using your plan as the basis for what I would like to achieve as it is such an inspirational layout.

I have a couple of questions though.

Firstly, does the 9ft 4" include the fiddle yard?

If not, what length is it, and how is it operated (e.g. sector plate?)

Second question is did you amend the track layout shown on page 1? The dairy siding in the later photos appears to be parallel to the entry track whereas on the earlier photo it looks like it diverges?

I understand that you have probably moved on to other projects now, but any help you can give a budding 7mm newcomer would be much appreciated.

Robin

Hi Robin

Thanks for those very flattering comments.

Sorry I haven’t replied before now but I haven’t been on here much in recent months due to other commitments and I must have missed the notification on my ‘followed threads’. However your post was actually very timely as I have had to dismantle the layout in preparation for some building work we are having done. The good news is that the after the work is finished, I should have a bigger space for the layout, not huge but I’m planning on 3600mm x 900mm (just under 12’ x 3’) which is an improvement on the space I had before.

I’m not sure whether I’ll put it back together in its current form although the extra space would certainly increase operational potential. However, I may keep it as it is and try and squeeze it in somewhere else in the house if the domestic authorities allow!  

To answer your question, the 9’ 4” does include the ‘fiddle yard’ but I would describe it more as a hidden siding incorporating the other end of the run-round loop.  The following photo shows an overhead view – the greyed out part is the hidden area separated from the scenic part by a ‘sky board’ at 90 degrees from the backscene. The scenic part is 83" long and the hidden area 29" long.

post-1610-0-24574700-1443991609_thumb.jpg

The ‘new dairy’ (the whitewashed building at the front right of the layout) acts as a scenic blocker as seen in the view of the layout from the front.

post-1610-0-64114200-1443991619_thumb.jpg

As you have spotted, I did change the track layout so that the siding in the dairy siding was parallel to the entry siding. My original intention was to scenic this siding with a half-relief extension to the dairy behind it screening the hidden siding but later decided to make it another hidden siding to interchange the milk tankers by hand. That is assuming, of course, that I ever got round to finishing my one and only Slaters tanker!

Hope this helps and good luck with your own plans. You won't regret the change to O gauge!

Regards

Stephen

Hello Robin and welcome to "0" gauge.

There are several interesting small layouts on here a search using small or micro should reveal some.  You can also filter to show only 0 gauge but I enjoy viewing some of the other scales too.

Check these out if you haven't already found them, there are more.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/71047-the-reely-grate-manufacturing-company/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80008-after-reely-grate-comes-primrose-hill/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64437-factory-lane-sidings-minimum-space-0-gauge-layout/

Archived