jjnewitt's Workbench - Anchor Mount Tanks

jjnewitt

Thanks guys. The glazing does make such a difference, the Bachmann mouldings are pretty heavy really. Heljan's efforts are much better in this area. I'm still undecided as to whether flush glaze my Hymek which says something as there was no thought at all about the class 37! The bulk of the time was taken up with the windscreens. The other shapes are easier though still a bit fiddly simply due to the size. I definately wont be forgetting to open out the windows to fit the lazerglaze again! I didn't really want to file back the plastic behind the fitted windscreen for fear of disturbing the etches but perhaps it would have been a better option. It would be nice if Mr Hanson included some guidelines with his products, a complete product list wouldn't go amiss either.

• 11 months later...

Blimey I hadn't realsied that it had been so long since I'd updated this! To cut a long story short D6904's paint work didn't last very long (the crap finish on the laquer bugged me too much) and got reprimed using Halfords primer in a tin through an airbrush. Great stuff that is! Absolutley no ill effects from the cellulose thinners used. I'll get around to respraying it again when the weather gets a bit warmer. 

As for other things I've been busy with sprung diesel bogies for various classes, including a demo at last years Scaleforum. This includes two pairs of scratchbuilt Class 47 bogies (full report here) and then the plunge into the world of CAD programs and etching. This covered more class 37 bogies but I've recently had etches back from PPD for Classes 47, Peak, Warship and Hymek. I'm currently working my way through them and the first has just been put together. The basic recipe is the same, guitar wire primary suspension and homemade coil springs for the secondary. For those who may have missed it here's a lot of stuff about the diesels in my thread on the Scalefour Society's forum which can be found here. Here's a taster of what you will find:

post-13847-0-90420700-1361472037.jpg

post-13847-0-09256600-1361472160.jpg

Aside from the sprung diesels I've been working on a range of bits and peices for the GWR and LMS David Geen milk tank kits. These will enable other types (GWR lever braked, SR and LNER) to be modelled and for them to be sprung. I have a big thing about milk tanks and want a rake of them for the afternoon Whitland to Kensington service circa 1964/5. Perfect for the new Dapol Western. One of the major drawbacks with the David Geen kit (as far as I'm concerned) is the whitemetal underframe and lack of springing so over the past few years I've been trying to do something about it. The first couple of kits I put together featured homemade brass underframes using Masokits W-irons for the springing. This worked well but was very time consuming so I've been working on some etched underframes to speed thing up. Milk tanks are a bit of a nightmare for variations and each of the four underframe suppliers had their own way of going about things so there will be six of them in total! There were two GWR types, 20'6" and 21'6" over headstocks (the longer ones were mainly for twin tank vehicles), two LMS types (they changed the underframe bracing arrangement around the end of WWII in line with RCH recomendations, note the GWR didn't bother!) and also SR and LNER. I've done drawings for all of them and four have been protoyped. They are fold up brass sandwich affairs using guitar wire for the springs and have daylight in all the right places.

post-13847-0-02369700-1361472706.jpg

Detailing etches are in the pipeline for the GWR milk tanks including lever brakes, alternative ladders and walkways, the SR examples and also the LNER ones. One detailing item that has already been done is the GWR/SR platforms that were a distinctive feature of some of United Dairies' vehicles. I'm amazed these came out ok as they follow the prototype almost exactly and are assembled using lots of 0.31mm wire an etched jig and heaps of patience! They do look good even if I do say so myself! LMS platforms for the D.2173 examples will follow at some point. This is a United Dairies GWR Dean-Churchward braked O.39:

post-13847-0-93846400-1361472697.jpg

Others are also passing through the works:

post-13847-0-10763400-1361472637.jpg

From right to left: the United Dairies GWR O.39 seen above, a United Dairies GWR D-C braked O.44 (these were converted from the first four wheeled GWR milk tanks, diagram O.23) and an Milk Marketing Board LMS D.1994. Still bits to do on the O.44 and D.1994 but they're getting there. Eventually the LMS one will gain walkways on top of the tank, once I've done the etches. There's some more on my milk tank developments here.

If anyone wants to have a look at the sprung diesels or the milk tanks then I'll be at the Newport MRS open day on the 2nd March.

Justin   

• 2 years later...

There are a few things kicking around the workbench that made be of interest:

post-13847-0-65935800-1439998056_thumb.jpg

The first wagon is from a Rumney Models test etch. It represents a BR diagram 1/431 Plate that has been retrofitted with the BR clasp brake (it would have been unfitted when built). It has welded sides, riveted ends, three hinges per door, 2’0¼” Oleo buffers and roller bearings. It obviously needs a vacuum cylinder and pipes but I’m working on something for those (well something for the cylinder at least).

Roller bearings interesting to use on sprung chassis as they are obviously difficult to slot for the bearing. My current thinking on them goes like this:

post-13847-0-40444800-1439998072_thumb.jpg

The spring carriers are fitted with Exactoscale parallel bearings which have been ‘extended’ using a piece of 1.5mm x 1mm brass tube approximately 2mm long. Once tidied up the roller bearing casting has been superglued in place. You need to make sure that the top of the casting will clear the springs but a little work with a file takes care of that.

The next wagon is the result of my quest for a decent BR Shocopen. Parkside make many very good body kits but, at least in my opinion, their BR Shocopen isn’t one of them. Fortunately there is a very, very good kit in the Parkside range that can provide a starting point for a decent model, the BR corrugated ended open kit, PC02A. The real things were shortened version of these prototypes so why not do the same with the model:

post-13847-0-05874700-1439998104_thumb.jpg

The sides have been cut either side of the door and shortened. A 0.020” strip of plastic has been added along the bottom and then detailing added including new strapping and capping on the sides, rope cleats and a later type BR tarpaulin bar from a forthcoming Rumney models kit. Not quite done but it’s getting there. It will be a lot 3082 diagram 1/056 wagon. These had the Derby clasp brake chassis with the springs mounted in the centre. Fortunately South Wales didn’t seem to be awash with these things so I don’t need too many more, Shocvans are a different matter.

Finally there is a grounded body to be seen:

post-13847-0-70848400-1439998143_thumb.jpg

A BR 1/801 fish van. The sides and ends are made up of three layers of etch that are pinned together whilst still on the fret and then soldered in place. The frame is then removed and then the sides and ends folded up to form the body. The 2mm guys have some great ideas! The roof is a 3D print that will form a master for a resin cast version. Obviously there is a chassis still to be built for this…

Some more information on the models can be found here.

Justin

I don't suppose the tarpaulin bar, or at least the end fittings will be available seperately?

Hi Brian,

Yes there is a forthcoming kit for the tarpulin bar brackets which will be available as soon as I get them back from my etchers. It will cover both the early and late BR types as fitted to the corrugated end opens. The late type is fitted to the Shocopen above and the early type looks like this:

post-13847-0-34933100-1439999537_thumb.jpg

There will be some sort of product announcement in a couple of weeks.

Justin

I shall watch out for them; my attempts at a bodge using a brass tarpaulin bar with Parkside bits were an abject failure. Though not as common as the rafts of Shoc-Vans to be seen around South Wales, quite a few Shoc-Bars were to be seen. I wonder if any received coil cradles as the Highbars did.

Though not as common as the rafts of Shoc-Vans to be seen around South Wales, quite a few Shoc-Bars were to be seen. I wonder if any received coil cradles as the Highbars did.

A few were certainly used in coil traffic and I imagine they had cradles fitted. 

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/p1036514821

I'm not near my reference material so have no idea how many were converted.

Another type of tarpaulin bar fitted to them. They look like the same type fitted to the Shochood Bs.

Justin

A few were certainly used in coil traffic and I imagine they had cradles fitted. 

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/p1036514821

I'm not near my reference material so have no idea how many were converted.

Another type of tarpaulin bar fitted to them. They look like the same type fitted to the Shochood Bs.

Justin

I think those were actually recoded as Coils; they had three bars, rather than one central one. Difficult to imagine now, but even into the early 1970s, the sidings near the various docks would be crammed with wagons like this, loaded with export steel. 

Meanwhile, the latest Rail Express has a couple of proper modelling articles.  One is by Alan Monk and describes how he turned the old Lima bogie bolster in a model using a Rumney Models detailing kit.  Stand by for the rush, Justin ...

Chis

Meanwhile, the latest Rail Express has a couple of proper modelling articles.  One is by Alan Monk and describes how he turned the old Lima bogie bolster in a model using a Rumney Models detailing kit.  Stand by for the rush, Justin ...

Chis

Excellent! I wondered when that was going to surface. I shall have to get hold of a copy to see how he got on. Rail Express seems to be a bit scarce in Bristol though.

Can't see the BBC brake levers there anywhere, did you forget a picture Justin?

You doing these?

post-508-0-49371500-1440062348.jpg

That saves me a job then. Excuse the over exposed image but I was metering for the bogie pivot.

Can I wish list up some of these.

post-508-0-02582300-1440062787.jpg

P

Well done "jjnewtt" with the fish van!

Couldn't agree more.

Lets hope the mainstream manufacturers don't do a "Parkside" on Justin after he has done all the donkey work. Although it probably wouldn't matter as they'd still get the roof profile wrong.

Ironic that the Dig 801 vans probably spent far longer in parcels livery that they ever did in White or Ice blue.

P

You doing these?

attachicon.gifSHapbeatock21EditSm.jpg

That saves me a job then. Excuse the over exposed image but I was metering for the bogie pivot.

Can I wish list up some of these.

attachicon.gifButterly_rail11Edit1Sm.jpg

P

Hi P, 

Yes the plan is to do a few bits for the Bogie Bolster Cs. A levers and vees etch, a detailing etch along the same lines as my Bogie Bolster E one and probably a full blown underframe as well (the Bachmann solebars are very thick). I've done all the research, I just need to find time to finish the artwork!

The same sort of thing for the Bolster Ds/Boplate Es is also on the wish list but I haven't had chance to measure one up yet so that will be a little way off. Where did you find the Boplate hiding?

The fish van needs a little more work (check the underframe, get the roof cast) but it will hopefully be available before the end of the year. I was planning on having it ready for September but a commision for someone eat up too much time to make that happen. 

Justin

The same sort of thing for the Bolster Ds/Boplate Es is also on the wish list but I haven't had chance to measure one up yet so that will be a little way off. Where did you find the Boplate hiding?

I took the pic just for the compound brake lever. The builders plates must have been missing on the wagon or I would have photographed them to. I don't think it was a boplate. Probably an Ex. LMS 30 ton P11A bogie bolster but can't be certain. I took the snap at Butterley in June 2004. Don't know if the wagon is still there or has been scrapped? A quick google and hunt around the Vintage Carriage register data base didn't turn up any information but I didn't look very hard.

There's a published drawing of the brake lever assembly in LMS Wagon Drawings No. 1 by Essery and a Drawing of the P11A bogie bolster in The LMS wagon by Essery & Morgan.

Porcy

I took the pic just for the compound brake lever. The builders plates must have been missing on the wagon or I would have photographed them to. I don't think it was a boplate. Probably an Ex. LMS 30 ton P11A bogie bolster but can't be certain. I took the snap at Butterley in June 2004. Don't know if the wagon is still there or has been scrapped? A quick google and hunt around the Vintage Carriage register data base didn't turn up any information but I didn't look very hard.

There's a published drawing of the brake lever assembly in LMS Wagon Drawings No. 1 by Essery and a Drawing of the P11A bogie bolster in The LMS wagon by Essery & Morgan.

Porcy

I'm so used to seeing those brake levers on BR built Boplates that I didn't think about other possibilities! Thanks for the drawing references. I shall make note for future use...

Jutin

• 4 months later...

Whilst most of my recent output has been virtual (more of that in a minute) there have been a couple of currently noteworthy items that have seen the sharp end of a file.

Firstly my desire to add a little variety to what is already available from the trade has led me to draw up a set of etches to backdate the Parkside BR steel ended open wagon (kit PC02A) to the LMS 10’ wheelbase wooden ended opens (Diagram 1892, 2072 and 2094). The sides from this Parkside kit are excellent and certainly couldn’t be bettered by etching. A frame with ends and ironwork has been designed to make use the plastic sides. I’m a bit surprised that someone hasn’t made a decent fist of covering this particular family especially as there were just over 16500 of them built over the three diagrams (unless of course there is a kit out there that I’m unaware of). This is going to be a D.2094 vehicle and will have a tarpaulin bar added shortly.

post-13847-0-02074700-1452414965_thumb.jpg

Also my test etch 21T hopper chassis has gained most of a body. The Parkside body goes together reasonably well though care is needed in places and a spot of filler will be required. This will be a 1/146 vacuum braked (obviously) example.

post-13847-0-26325000-1452414983_thumb.jpg

The vacuum cylinder you can see is a whitemetal casting that has been made from some exquisite masters produced by the very talented Morgan Gilbert. Both 18” and 21” cylinders have been catered for and they are specifically designed to use etched brackets. These will be available in the not too distant future.

post-13847-0-14735700-1452415053_thumb.jpg

Another exciting project is a fully sprung freight bogie. This is the first test etch for the GWR standard type.

post-13847-0-05170000-1452414998_thumb.jpg

It needs a bit of tweaking but it’s going in the right direction. The intention is to do some 3D printed journals and bolster springs to go with them which leads me back to the virtual stuff that I mentioned earlier.

I have recently been undertaking a 3D CAD course which was assessed by a project. This of course had to be something railway related (!) and so I chose to do a 12T GWR plywood van. The intention is to do an etched kit with resin cast roof from the artwork produced for this project along the lines of the fish van seen earlier (which is slowly getting there). The plywood GWR Shocvan is almost certain to follow.

post-13847-0-11312900-1452415020_thumb.jpg

post-13847-0-27579600-1452415036_thumb.jpg

Other drawings have encompassed milk tank saddles for GWR sloping tank diagrams (O.57 & O.60), corrugated ends for Shochood Bs, bolsters for bogie bolster Cs, drain valves for milk tanks and some 5 and 6 leaf wagon springs. Axleboxes to follow for the last two items, particularly the BR 2 part oil types!   

post-13847-0-62278800-1452415065_thumb.jpg

post-13847-0-54957800-1452415083_thumb.jpg

post-13847-0-77326900-1452415072_thumb.jpg

Happy new year,

Justin

Brilliant! Like you, I'm a little surprised about the absence of the GW plywood van in particular and the wooden-ended BR-built open from the various ranges (although the open is convertible, as you have shown), both of which look excellent. I'm especially interested by the idea of accurate renderings of the various versions of BR two-part axleboxes, not before time...

Adam

Archived