Lincoln Central Station

arff999

Lincoln central

by arff999

original page on Old RMweb

??? posted on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:47 pm

Hi any one out there got any plans of the above im planning to model this in HO but struggling to get any plans

JOHN.

Comment posted by si_berian_tiger on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:50 pm

Look on google maps for a pre-remodelling layout, although it hasnt changed too much to be honest. There are plenty of photos on fotopic etc which should answer any questions.

If you need a particular to shot, let me know. I might have one, or I can get it very easily. I'm planning the same location in n gauge!

Comment posted by dave_long on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:54 pm

Try having a look at the planning portal. Not sure if they've updated the site yet.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk you'll need to do a Appeals search toget to the maps.

Comment posted by beast66606 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:55 pm

http://www.trackmaps.co.uk

No.2 - Eastern

hth,

??? posted on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:08 pm

Thanks guys

i have a number of drawing suppled by a mate of mine from a local club i`ve been having a play with any rail and xcad but seem unable to get it right .

looking to go between the hign street and the fly over but cant seam to get the distace right i think its about 1500 yard which i think works out at 17 feet in scale

JOHN

Comment posted by Nick Holliday on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:23 pm

If it really is 1500 yards, then it scales out rather larger than you think. 1500 yards is 4,500 feet, and in HO that scales 15,570 mm which in real money is around 50 feet! I couldn't see the High Street when I looked on the Planning Portal, otherwise I would have tried to produce a scale plan.

Comment posted by Pyewipe Jct on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:43 am

arff999 wrote:

Thanks guys

i have a number of drawing suppled by a mate of mine from a local club i`ve been having a play with any rail and xcad but seem unable to get it right .

looking to go between the hign street and the fly over but cant seam to get the distace right i think its about 1500 yard which i think works out at 17 feet in scale

JOHN

Hello John,

I've just measured the distance between the eastern side of High Street and the western side of Pelham bridge on my digital copy of the Lincoln OS map (which dates from the early 90s, I believe) & it's just under 359m - or 4.13m at 1:87 scale, if my maths is correct.

Kevin

??? posted on Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:38 pm

Hi

Not sure how to work out the scale accuratly so ill have to go with you guys on this

i worked it out this way

1500 feet x 12 inches = 18000 inches / 72 (scale)=250 inches / 12 = 20.83 feet long i have no idea if this is right or not

JOHN.

Comment posted by si_berian_tiger on Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:49 pm

I use this method:

Prototype length in Metres / Scale = Scale length.

Comment posted by Nick Holliday on Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:30 pm

Having pulled a fairly detailed scale plan off the Planning Portal as suggested, I would agree with Kevin's measurement of around 360 metres, which works out as roughly 1,200 feet. If you are working in HO then, as Kevin said, the overall scale length is 360 m divided by the scale ratio of 1:87, which results in 4.13 m or 13 feet 7 inches. The equivalent ratio for OO gauge is 1:76.2, which gives you 4.72 m or 15 feet 6 inches. The other way of calculating this is using 4mm to the foot, for OO gauge, (3.5mm for HO gauge) so you just multiply the length in feet by 4, which would give you 4.8m, or just under 16 feet. This dimension is between the flyover and where the High Street crosses, so it only covers the passenger station and platforms.

??? posted on Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:57 pm

Thanks for the info on scales it was very usefull

Being a new member whos been lurking here for a while before joining i thought i time to ask some possable silly questions.

I ended up getting a dynamics DCC system and a class 20 from digitrains and very pleased with them i am

how easy is it to paste from xcad to allow my plan to be show as i have no idea on how to do it also normal picture of some things already done

JOHN

Comment posted by si_berian_tiger on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:12 pm

John,

This thread http://rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=21614 explains how to upload images to the forum.

Trackplan can be saved as a .bmp file in xtrkcad in the same way as you would save a file in any other program. File > Save As > then select the correct file type.

??? posted on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:51 pm

hope this works

file.php?id=66349

john

??? posted on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:53 pm

Hope the plan got posted and i did it ok

Let me know what you think I know its just the first go but it looks ok to me but you may disagree comments please

JOHN

Comment posted by si_berian_tiger on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:58 pm

Looks like a well drawn plan.

Just one small issue, and I would imagine you did this to save building a custom point, but the points serving the west end of what is now platforms 4/5 (at the bottom of your plan) should be a 3 way in your plan. The change to 2 seperate points did not happen until the 2008 remodelling.

??? posted on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:05 pm

Si

Sorry posted the wrong plan i spotted that and made a change will ttry to post the other plan tomorrow after work i have some scale drawings of the station buildings i need to get resized at work tomorrow if i get time

im not sure on custom making turn outs or if its possable to get them made ?

John

Comment posted by si_berian_tiger on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:13 pm

Custom made points/turnouts are available. A quick glance in the March 09 RM has an advert for Marcway Pointwork (Marcway Models & Hobbies).

I couldnt tell you what they are like to deal with, or the quality of their products. Advert say they can built to 'OO' gauge, but this should be compatible with 'HO'.

No doubt someone with much more knowledge will be along shortly....... icon_biggrin.gif

Comment posted by Flying Pig on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:32 pm

http://www.roscalen.com/signals/Lincoln/index.htm has useful photos of the Pelham St and High Street ends of the station as they were in 1983, which match your plan pretty well, with one or two minor differences. By the time the station was resignalled last year, a couple of the bays (platforms 1 and 2) were out of use, as shown by the 2008 signalling diagram on http://www.photrek.co.uk/railmapheader.htm and it would be interesting to know when this change took place.

Comment posted by twa_dogs on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:55 pm

might this prove useful?

http://www.photrek.co.uk/railmapheader.htm

??? posted on Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:01 pm

Hi

Spent most off last night at work working on the layout plan i managed to get with the help of the cad drawing guys, a scale HO 1-1 drawing of the total track plan and station layout it works out at 17 feet and a few inches i overlayed some off the peco scale turn out plans and it looked good, took up most of the table in the work shop though,worked out at 32 turn outs,crossovers, single slips and doubles

The question is it has the fish dock on it and also the cattle loading areas to the east end also the carrage loading platforms and platform no 8 i dont know when these were removed and im not sure weather to incorporate them or not i was thinking of removing the fish dock leaving the carrage area and platform 8not sur what to do about the cattle area to the east.

what do you think ?

John

will try tp post a pic of the over all plan if i can get touse the work shop tonight .

??? posted on Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:09 pm

Here are the track plans i had done at work ive been messing around with them gettins sizes

see what you think

JOHN

file.php?id=67573

file.php?id=67574

file.php?id=67575

file.php?id=67576

Comment posted by si_berian_tiger on Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:11 pm

That looks brilliant. What is length of the plan? The platforms dont look long enough to me.....

??? posted on Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:13 pm

Some more with the Peco turn out track plans overlayed to see how they look

file.php?id=67578

file.php?id=67580

file.php?id=67582

file.php?id=67584

file.php?id=67583

??? posted on Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:26 pm

hi test

??? posted on Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:29 pm

Si

Posted 2 replys but they dont seem to be here

so here goes again

Platform 7-8 is approx 3 1/2 yards long see the pic with the peco flexi track on it

also hope to have the scale staion plans later this week

JOHN

• Like 1

Lincoln central

by arff999

original page on Old RMweb

Comment posted by railwaymouse on Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:29 pm

si_berian_tiger wrote:

That looks brilliant. What is length of the plan? The platforms dont look long enough to me.....

I've been toying with a model of Lincoln as well. The whole site is surprising short - hence the attraction. Trackplans vol2 mentioned above by Beast66606 suggests that the three through platforms hold only 7 coach lengths, whilst the inner bay holds just 3 lengths, with the outer bay holding 5.

Nat

??? posted on Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:14 pm

Any one have any pictures of the old foot bridge that used to stand at the high street end off the station

JOHN.

Comment posted by eldavo on Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:07 pm

Ooh that's an interesting track plan. Just crying out for handbuilt track! I'm sure it'll look stunning when all laid. icon_smile.gif

Cheers

Dave

??? posted on Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:51 pm

Hi

A small update the layout has jumped frpm planning to building the base boards have been drawn up and a joiner is making them for me. ( as i cant join wood )well not good any ways

the island platform has been cut from 22mm mdf and platform edging is being fitted some track has been purchased (still a lot more to get)

I will post some more picture soon

JOHN

??? posted on Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:18 pm

Hi

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but here goe

Is there anyone out there who can point me in the right direction to whom to ask to sort out the wiring for my lay out i have no idea how to start conecting things up im giong to go down the DCC road but as a novice im not sure how to do it all oi can manage is a straight piece but then again thats easy.

The track plan is attached so if any one fancys having a go please feel free, all help greatfully received.

Thanks

JOHN.

file.php?id=73093

??? posted on Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:20 pm

Hi

Sorry not a very good picture i have a larger one but cant post it on here so if any one wants to have a look let me know and i can post it to you

JOHN.

Comment posted by ajdown on Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:00 pm

Are you using electrofrog or insulfrog points?

I had http://www.photrek.co.uk/railmapcover.htm bookmarked too but it seems someone else got there before I did.

Your best bet for wiring is to start at one end and progress across the layout, testing as you go. You may find you have to put a lot of insulating fishplates in if you haven't already done on the frogs.

Pick two different, contrasting colours of wire; one for the "top" of your plan, and the other for the "bottom" of your plan (or "inner and outer" if you have a roundyroundy plan). Use some good quality copper tape underneath your layout as a "power bus" (or several pairs if you prefer - one for station, one for yard, one for junction etc, then connect together from a thicker wire and 5 amp 'chock blocks' with feeders), and mark which bus one is for each colour (blobs of paint on the copper every foot or so works fine for me).

Always solder under fishplates or rail if you can rather than to the side of the track as it's much neater (be careful not to melt plastic sleepers).

Once you start at one end, leave a loco on the track, preferably one with lights fitted. As you solder along the layout in each section, as soon as you find a short, your controller will trip out for you. Make sure you haven't done something silly like connecting a red wire to the blue bus, or something.

Try and reset, just in case the trip wasn't related to your wiring (I spent an hour wondering why a piece of straight track I was investigating for bumps kept shorting out before I realised it was the metal frame on my glasses as I rested my head on the board doing it).

If it still won't reset (and it's not a cross-colour), look at the points either side of where you've just soldered - do they have the insulating fishplates there? If not, carefully correct before trying again.

Don't worry about wiring frogs at this point (if you're using live frogs) because you can do those later. Also, be aware that you may have different issues when it comes to diamonds and slips, if they haven't been insulated all the way round in some cases.

Once you've got everything wired (you think), run around the complete layout with a long wheelbase loco. If there are any places it stops, check they have a feed on both rails. If there's a short, investigate again for plastic fishplates etc, this may happen when points are changed but were ok in the other direction.

Once you're confident all is well with a long wheelbase loco, try again at low speed with something small like an 08 shunter. Now is a good time to start wiring up point motors and frog changing switches (Peco accessory switch works fine if you aren't using Tortoises or suchlike).

As long as you stick to the principle I bolded above, and doing it a little bit at a time with a loco on the track to check for shorts, you will always find that any wiring problems are connected to the very last wire you soldered up, or the piece of rail it's connected to. All DCC controllers will trip out as soon as a short occurs, so you don't need to worry about blowing up a loco - although of course you can use a ??????‚??10 Bachmann or Hornby cheapie chip in an old loco if you're worried at all.

Slow, methodical, piece by piece will be much easier than trying to figure it out afterwards.

??? posted on Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:54 am

Hi

Thanks for the usefull information i give it a try

i was going to use insulfrog points unless electrofrog are the prefered i have read lots on the subject but i dont seem to be able to get a difinatave answer, so im a little puzzled more investigation req i think, i dont want to go out and buy them all to find there the wrong type i worked out the cost is around 375 pounds for all off them !! so i cant aford to get it wrong.

JOHN.

Comment posted by ajdown on Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:37 am

Ask 10 different people whether insulfrog or electrofrog are better and you'll probably get 10 different answers.

Here's my take on the issue.

Postives

1) Electrofrog does give better slower running over complex pointwork especially if you have short wheelbase locos like an 08. This is especially important if you're going to have DCC sound, as a momentary loss of power that the flywheel moves a loco over might be enough to reset a sound chip and go through the startup sequence again - which is annoying.

2) Electrofrog does look more realistic (real points don't have plastic lumps for frogs).

Negatives

1) More wiring required for frog power switching (and difficult if you aren't using motors)

2) More thought needed in tracklaying due to insulating fishplates etc. Otherwise, with DCC, you probably wouldn't need any insulating fishplates just wiring up every rail section.

As you've already calculated, you're going to be spending a huge amount of money on buying the pointwork and want to get it right first time.

I'm assuming you're using streamline and not setrack pointwork. Are you using Code 100 or Code 75?

Probably the best thing you can do is to buy one small radius point of electrofrog and the same in insulfrog, and set them down on an odd corner with a couple of bits of track, and experiment. If you find you can cope with insulfrog, great, if not then you know what extra work (x however many points are needed) will entail with electrofrog. Then you've only wasted a tenner, and you'll probably find you could use that 'other' point somewhere even if it's off of the scenic area.

I know Lincoln Central and it's always struck me as a good layout opportunity if only I had a loft available.

I see you're in Sleaford, assume you know about Granary Models at Swineshead?

Comment posted by PaulCheffus on Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:13 pm

ajdown wrote:

2) More thought needed in tracklaying due to insulating fishplates etc. Otherwise, with DCC, you probably wouldn't need any insulating fishplates just wiring up every rail section.

Hi

Same insulation rules apply to DCC that apply to DC. There is no difference when wiring the layout for either.

For me its Electrofrog everytime as I find it produces better running and the extra wiring (although not necessary, Peco points will work without it) is worth it.

Cheers

Paul

Comment posted by ajdown on Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:01 pm

PaulCheffus wrote:

Same insulation rules apply to DCC that apply to DC. There is no difference when wiring the layout for either.

I was referring to insulfrog v electrofrog, not the actual method of layout power.

??? posted on Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:53 am

Hi Just taken delivery of 2 off my base bords

Ended up using brilliant base bords and i have to say how good they are.

So easy to put together they also lock together with the next so easy ,

Ive been laying out the track on to the board tops and fixing down the island platform

Also looking at point motor positions.

pictures to follow soon, ( just need to down load them from my camera)

Regards

JOHN

??? posted on Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:36 pm

Finnally got round to posting the pictures of my base boards only got round to making 2 so far 6 more to go.

file.php?id=107510

file.php?id=107510

file.php?id=107511

??? posted on Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:45 pm

some more with the track work drawn on and the platform starting to take shape

file.php?id=107514

file.php?id=107515

file.php?id=107516

file.php?id=107517

??? posted on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:01 pm

Some more with track layed out to check all runs ok,

A little bit off work required between a turn out and the double slipe i ended up moving the turn out away from the double slip to make it smooth between both allowing stock to run smooth

file.php?id=107520

file.php?id=107521

file.php?id=107522

??? posted on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:04 pm

Also now added platform edge drilled holes for turn out motors and been working on drawings off the main station buildings

More pictures to follow

JOHN.

• RMweb Premium

Hi John,

I came accross your thread today, it looks really good. If its of any good i have got a shot showing part of the old footbridge which has now gone if you have not found a shot. It is in the background with s dub dee running on the central road.

Kind regards

Duncan

• 2 weeks later...

post-4624-12619547511792_thumb.jpgpost-4624-12619546199659_thumb.jpgpost-4624-12619546914113_thumb.jpgHi All

Merry Chrisrtmas to Andy and the Team and also to al the members i hope you have a great new year.

I was going to post a update on Christmas eve But on my way home i had the unfutunate meeting with a large ditch as i slide off the road on the ice, fortuanatly as i was only giong about 10 -15 mph i sustained some minor injuries unlike my van witch apears to be ritten off as it rolled down the bank and ended up on it side at the bottom, i had some off my layout in the back but luckly the only damage was to my dynamis system and a train(if you call that lucky) my g/f had just bought me for Christmas both ended up in the water at the bottom.

I have them both in the airing cupboard to see if i can dry them out but i dont hold out much hope.

So here are some pictures that i was going to upload before

JOHN.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In the first photo you have a double slip by the level crossing ? - you need a single I think, the "inside" part of the slip would never be used as the train would simply carry on along the main line.

Looking impressive B)

Hi see what you meen i will go and have a look at the track plan to see if i got it wrong.

but i guess im gonna have to leave it in now not going to take up the track now.

Glad you like the progress so far its starting to take shape now but still lots off work to do

i`ve also been reading the tread on RR and co i may have to tap you up later for some advice if i opt to go that way i like the idea off setting the program and then pushing a button and watching it run

JOHN.

Thanks Jack

Glad you like it lots more to do before i get to run something round so far i`ve just got a class 20 running up and down to test out the dcc conections to the track and to check out the track / board joints but so far so good

JOHN.

• RMweb Gold

In the first photo you have a double slip by the level crossing ? - you need a single I think, the "inside" part of the slip would never be used as the train would simply carry on along the main line.

Looking impressive cool.gif

Isn't that for the 03 shunter to sit in its place by the signal box? At least that is where it sat so I suppose it had to get in there somehow. I have seen a picture of it somewhere I will go and look.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Isn't that for the 03 shunter to sit in its place by the signal box? At least that is where it sat so I suppose it had to get in there somehow. I have seen a picture of it somewhere I will go and look.

Chris

Hi Chris,

'fraid not - its a mistake :( - this original plan shows it as a single slip.

file.php?id=67576

• Like 1

My local station,so an interesting project to follow.

Now of course some of the lines were lifted many years ago.IIRC at one time a preserved Class 03 was presumably craned over the walls and sat near the signal box at the High Street end of the station.I think it remained there for some time before being removed.I can remember seeing pictures in the local paper.

Good luck with it anyway, and are you going to scratch build the station buildings?

This is looking very impressive, I look forward to seeing your progress with the station buildings. Will you be modelling High Street crossing?

I've always fancied having a go at Lincoln Central, but I'm thinking about doing the area around Brayford level crossing and East Holmes signal box in N. The university buildings are an architectural challenge that's hard to resist!

• RMweb Premium

My local station,so an interesting project to follow.

Now of course some of the lines were lifted many years ago.IIRC at one time a preserved Class 03 was presumably craned over the walls and sat near the signal box at the High Street end of the station.I think it remained there for some time before being removed.I can remember seeing pictures in the local paper.

It was a class 08 shunter and I very much doubt that it was craned over the wall, the track it stood on was a headshunt and the points leading to it was removed once the loco was parked there.

The same 08 is now at the Lincolnshire Wolds Railway today.

Glad to see you've carried on the project from RMWeb 3! Good stuff.

I've always fancied having a go at Lincoln Central, but I'm thinking about doing the area around Brayford level crossing and East Holmes signal box in N. The university buildings are an architectural challenge that's hard to resist!

For the love of god. You've stolen my idea. I went to uni at Lincoln. The buildings would be quite a challenge. Well, most of them would be.....