Lincoln Central Station

arff999

This is looking very impressive, I look forward to seeing your progress with the station buildings. Will you be modelling High Street crossing?

I've always fancied having a go at Lincoln Central, but I'm thinking about doing the area around Brayford level crossing and East Holmes signal box in N. The university buildings are an architectural challenge that's hard to resist!

Suggest that you get some pictures of the Box before it falls down. ? Looks to be in a very sorry state of repair at the moment.

Peter

• 2 months later...

Not sure if anyone intrested in the bottom of the base boards but here`s mine

post-4624-126843740279_thumb.jpg

post-4624-126843744729_thumb.jpg

post-4624-12684374998_thumb.jpg

This one shows the point motor control its a NCE switch 8 with a NCE switch it next to it this allows me to control the 9 motors in this base board

post-4624-126843762658_thumb.jpg

I have used these connectors to joint the basebords to carry my 3 DCC bus`s t

he length there rated at 6 amps each pin there 8 pin i`m just using 6 tho.

post-4624-126843779931_thumb.jpg

Let me know what you think

JOHN.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The ballast certainly looks like how Lincoln used to together with the weeds! In the later years before the tracks and signals were replaced, there were a lot of fine gravel used in places which made the ballast look even scruffier!

Guest oldlugger

Hello John,

Wow! This is some layout! The wiring alone could be taken from the Space Shuttle and the enormity of the entire project is incredible! You've made a good job of the ballasting and the grass tufts add a nice contrast. I think some weathering of the ballast might be appropriate in the heavier used areas (brake dust, oil) and maybe some of the track could be toned down a shade to break up the uniformity of the rust brown colour. The rails could be a darker rust in the less well used areas and a lighter buff colour in the busier sections, whilst the sleepers could be picked out in a range of dark oily colours in the areas where locos hang around to a drier greyish buff representing older, neglected sleepers (less tar in them). Keep up the good work!

Simon

Thanks for the coments the balasting is unfinished and i still have a lot off work to do to it.

Going to get some darker oil/greese type colour when next at a show so i hope to have some soon as Nottingham is not far away ive been working on the brass foot bridge to go over the road at the west end also the crossing gates (these will open and close via DCC) i have them working easier said than done.

they are controlled via a switch pilot servo unit (great peice of kit) i allows me to control 4 mini servos wich inturn are conected to the gates more on this later.

JOHN

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Just a update on the level crossing all the servos now mounted on the base board and gates made all works ok.

looks really good to have all 4 gate now motorized only one problem i have, at the moment im using a dynamis to test the dcc components untill i take delivery of my proper controller (following the RR&co weekend i may have to have a rethink on my system) and this wont do macros so i cant drive all 4 servos together i know they work together i tried them at digitrains the other week, using there dcc set up, thanks to the guys there.

I will post some pics and a video when i get chance to take it

JOHN

John,

Just read through the whole thread, very impressive! Wiring looks good but I am really impressed with the weathering and painting of the platform.

Keep the pics coming

Jeff

John,

Just read through the whole thread, very impressive! Wiring looks good but I am really impressed with the weathering and painting of the platform.

Keep the pics coming

Jeff

Yes John, must add my tuppence worth to Jeff's comments. The platform is the best I've seen. You've really captured that slightly slimy slightly mossy slightly slippery look very, very well B). I particularly like your planning, getting each stage perfect before moving on. Unfortunately I was in too much of a rush, and didn't spend enough time on the permanent way or platforms, and it's much more difficult to go back and improve later. A lesson for us all!

Doug.

• 3 months later...

HI

Been pretty busy at work so not had much time to do a lot,

finally finished off the crossing gates and mounted the controller to the board all working ok, still need to mount it to the under frame.

Made up another couple of the Brilliant Base boards ready for the next sections, this will be the platorms next to the main station building (1-4)

Also i was not happy with the final finish on the platforms so i decided to rework the stone finish on the top dulled them down a lot as they looked ok in the pictures but in reallity they were far to dark i think they look a lot better now ill try to post some pictures this week end

On another note joined the local club a couple of months ago and got turned to the dark side(0 Gauge) and ended p geting a clas 47 a rake off ore wagons and a guards van i had the 47 weathered by a mate off mind and very nice it looks too pictures to follow

JOHN.

• 2 months later...

Work has now started on the highstreet level crossingboard this includes the footbridge, crossing gates (working via servos) and the working signal to the rear of the foot bridge also bridgeing the board joint will be the signal box i have used a both Great Northern Signal boxes to make on as close to the real one as i can get

post-4624-091620500 1284653073_thumb.jpg

post-4624-029399000 1284653116_thumb.jpg

post-4624-090960500 1284653145_thumb.jpg

Next is the Signal box not yet finished (work in progress)

post-4624-079603000 1284653225_thumb.jpg

And finally we have a close up of the crossing itself the gates have been removed so as they dont get damaged during modeling this will be were the footbridge and Signal go and will be the end of the modeled area the track bends towards the fidle yard at the rear

post-4624-030930400 1284653424_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Last ones for now these show the start off Platforms 1,2,3,4 and the carrage dock

still a lot off work to be done on these i hope to start with the wiring tonight if i get time also have to fit the point motor and finish of the platform edge wall then paint ballast and weather

JOHN

post-4624-062865400 1284654061_thumb.jpg

post-4624-033872000 1284654069_thumb.jpg

post-4624-021596700 1284654079_thumb.jpg

post-4624-043823100 1284654125_thumb.jpg

• Like 1