• RMweb Gold

If i find any more I will add them to the thread

Thanks for that, I have the original LNWR and GWR diagram (1902) from Port Sunlight, a Birkenhead Joint signal box, this came to light when the diagram was being replaced, obviously it was purchased and suitably preserved.

• Like 1

Nice pics TSE, please keep 'em coming!

When the old Booking On Point on Rugby station was given a lick of paint a few years ago, the painters removed the notice cases from the wall revealing some London Midland Region special notices from early 1967, most of them crumbled to powder when I tried to 'liberate' them but I did manage to save one. Similarly, when the upstairs rooms were all changed around I saved most of the WCML maps from the old Road Learning School, some going back to the early 60s anf the LMR's first flush of modernisation. Amazing to think they're relics now barely forty years on.

IIRC, on one of the walls inside the remains of Leicester Central's Booking Office, there's an old BR poster featuring a green Class 24.

Posted this one onto a Bournemouth Central related thead, many moons ago.

Attatched to the Goods Depot''s weighbridge office exterior wall. Photographed back in the '80s.

post-7009-0-00841000-1323820950_thumb.jpg

Can anyone de-cipher ?

Regards

Edited by Ceptic
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Back in the late 1970s one of our stations suffered a serious 'loss in booking' which resulted in the cash being £20 short. Although it wasn't by then part of my normal job it was convenient for me to go and investigate rather than my colleague so I duly did so. Findinga loss in booking -even at a fairly small station meant going through all sorts of stuff to check that all the accounts were correct as well as the obvious first task of re-counting the cash.

So away I went through every bit of paperwork in the place and duly came to the 'Record of Blank Seasn Tickets Issued' which, unusually, was still being kept in a book rather than on the standard forms. And clearly they didn't issue many there as the book was headed 'L&SWR Record of Blank Season Tickets Issued' and the opening entry had been made in the summer of 1914. (oh and I found the 'loss' - by dint of taking the office to pieces, a £20 note had gone down behind a drawer).

And on a slightly more worrying note while carrying out a detonator stock check at a signalbox in 1975 I came across a detonartor dated 1944, and it was a tad on the rusty side :O

• Like 13

And on a slightly more worrying note while carrying out a detonator stock check at a signalbox in 1975 I came across a detonartor dated 1944, and it was a tad on the rusty side :O

Not so very long ago I went along to recover some equipment from an ex Wagon works scheduled for demolition, I always make a point on jobs like that to have a good ferret round and on top of a cupboard in the old shunters mess was a det dated 1942, judging by the crud round it, it had been there since about that date! That would be about 2008!

In the late 1990s/early 2000s I worked in Furlong House in Nottingham - the old BR offices (with attached data centre) on Queen's Drive in Nottingham. It's currently being knocked down after several years of standing empty.

On the wall by what had originally been the main entrance was a large and very tatty cast BR Lion and Wheel emblem, which seemed to have avoided being replaced by the corporate image double arrow for over 25 years until one day it vanished. There goes another piece of history I thought, until about 6 weeks later when it reappeared with a fresh coat of paint.

• 3 weeks later...

I worked for Racal/BRT for a while in the mid 90s and we were based in a building that used to be part of the parcels depot alongside Newcastle Central, the ground floor corridors were all tiled walls, interspersed with the NER crest but all of the ground floor rooms were signed with BR tangerine enamel signs, that place was an absolute treasure trove, although many of the signs are now in my house after being recovered from a skip during "restoration" works.

If ever anyone removes the false walls from the Northern city line stations they'll find a treasure trove of LT signs and posters from 1976behind them. I wish I'd had a decent camera in those days!

• RMweb Gold

If ever anyone removes the false walls from the Northern city line stations they'll find a treasure trove of LT signs and posters from 1976behind them. I wish I'd had a decent camera in those days!

That happened at paddington some years ago when they spruced up the subway tunnel between the Circle ticket hall and the Bakerloo Line ticket hall - a whole row of very nice GWR posters, lovely notwithstanding their condition but alas not recoverable.

• RMweb Premium

there's lots of stuff on the underground, a lot of it though is not usually accessible

for starters here: http://underground-history.co.uk/belsize.php with relics from WW2 era

a look throught the whole site is recommended, many stations showing remains of original decoration/tiling, old LT or even 'careless talk' posters. very interesting, but very eerie seeing materials which have remained from so long ago

• Like 1

There used to be loads of nice stuff in a tunnel under euston that you got to from the northern line platforms

Never had my camera on me when I was down there which was a shame

Original blue pullman adverts are the ones I remember best.

Some of it was lost when the underground built new rooms to house new telecom and radio equipment

Edited by ess1uk

As if by magic - the Blue Pullman poster from Euston

Edit - still appears to be a problem uploading pics, I'll add it when the problem is sorted.

I also have some 1920-30's posters I discovered recently!

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram
  • Like 2

This sign was somewhat out of date when I pictured it in July 1985.

When would the last likely Hymek visit have been?

Its all a memory now, the concrete works long closed.

post-7081-0-48151600-1325686001_thumb.jpg

Dowmac Concrete Works, Quedgeley 10/7/85

cheers

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Here are the remains of a clearance bar that was still in place 41 years after the junction points it protected were removed. The track was relaid on 03/12/11..

post-4034-0-97512300-1325697656_thumb.jpg

A little more information here..

http://www.flickr.co...57628467397817/

Not so fond memories of drilling through rails for those with a hand ratchet.

Not so fond memories of drilling through rails for those with a hand ratchet.

I do have a complete set of new ones that were liberated from Cambridge stores in the good old Collectors Corner days that i may find a use for at some stage. Hopefully a 22mm rotabroach will sort the problem..

• RMweb Gold

I do have a complete set of new ones that were liberated from Cambridge stores in the good old Collectors Corner days that i may find a use for at some stage. Hopefully a 22mm rotabroach will sort the problem..

It was about 1966 when I last put one on using a hand drill, at Water Orton West.

Guest Max Stafford

The old goods depot at London Road in Carlisle has been abandoned for over 20 years now, but about seven years back I had to check the place out during a patrol and was amazed to find a board bearing an aged poster that featured Monica in her mini skirt and go-go boots, arms outstretched and inviting me to see a friend that weekend! Shame it was too big to move!

Dave.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...