• RMweb Premium

It's a fascinating photo tht sh

I was sent this photo, many years ago, from a friend in a Leeds Forum of some sort.

Sorry i have no copyright, or know of one.

It's a fascinating photo that shows so much.   Obviously the main line railways dominate. It also shows the other roundhouse mentioned above and the ramp up to the high level lines. What t does show is the large number of industrial leads and sidings that supplied industries, probably too many to name however I'll try to name a few.

a) At the bottom right of the picture are the sidings that supplied coal to the gas works. The bridge abutments for these still exist with white glazed tiles forming part of the walls to the Inner ring road as well as other signs.

b) in the centre at the bottom you can see the first part of a fascinating set of goods yards that occupied the 'island' between the canal, to the right, and the river.  These yards connected with several places sometimes via bridges over the river or canal.   One lead lead into the Leeds council Highways department via  a bridge and the council had a small electric shunting loco to shunt the yard powered from overhead.  I believe it ended it's days at the tram scrapyard shunting trams for burning. The system ended up connecting to the Leeds Forge that built al; sorts of vehicles including coaches for Wagon Lits.

c) directly above the roundhouses on the other side of the viaduct to Leeds Central is Doncaster's Monk Bridge foundry on both sides of Whitehall road.  This was rail served and the part on the far side of Whitehall Road is now a car park and the rails are still visible in the yard.  The works were accessed from inside the Holbeck triangle of line via an underbridge though to get down there were IIRC two reversals from the connection which was on the Wellington curve that freights still use to avoid Leeds station.

There are of course many more things that could be said about this tangle of lines.

Jamie

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Old gradient post, presumably LMS rather than MR, on the former Midland line into Bristol TM, about 1/2 mile south of the site of Fishponds station. No trains have passed this post since about 1970.

Not sure of what it used to say, but at a guess 1:60 or 1:66 to the right (towards Bristol), and 1:100 to the left. I don't have my book of gradient profiles handy, no doubt someone on here can enlighten us!

Edit: though it looks like it's attached to the concrete fence post, it isn't, it's on a piece of T-shaped iron.

Edited again:-found my gradient profile book. It would have read 1:81 towards Fishponds, and 1:67 towards Bristol. It certainly feels like that when cycling!

gallery_5674_4451_7492267.jpg

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not quite ghosts, but these are in Staple Hill tunnel, which I'm sure has its fair share of ghosts!

Some pretty spectacular icicles appeared during the early March 2018 cold snap. By the time I visited on the afternoon of Sat 3rd, the best had gone, but there were still some impressive specimens.
I'd imagine these could do a fair bit of damage to a passing train if they fell in the right place.

gallery_5674_4451_4482034.jpg

gallery_5674_4451_4445389.jpg

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Old gradient post, presumably LMS rather than MR, on the former Midland line into Bristol TM, about 1/2 mile south of the site of Fishponds station. No trains have passed this post since about 1970.

Not sure of what it used to say, but at a guess 1:60 or 1:66 to the right (towards Bristol), and 1:100 to the left. I don't have my book of gradient profiles handy, no doubt someone on here can enlighten us!

Edit: though it looks like it's attached to the concrete fence post, it isn't, it's on a piece of T-shaped iron.

Edited again:-found my gradient profile book. It would have read 1:81 towards Fishponds, and 1:67 towards Bristol. It certainly feels like that when cycling!

gallery_5674_4451_7492267.jpg

Comparison with Fig. 2 in Midland Style (HMRS, 1975) confirms this is a Midland (or at least Midland-pattern) gradient sign.

• RMweb Gold

Hmm. So it's a bit of a relic then? Must be the best part of a century old. Would be nice to see it tarted up and have it's numerals re-instated, but it'd probably get nicked!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

post-3369-0-81429200-1539680155_thumb.jpgThis loading ramp seen this morning at Liverpool Street (Not Chesunt as indicated on the ramp).

Interesting that the label refers to 'British Railways' - I thought that this was shortened to 'British Rail' in 1965 or thereabouts, and this ramp looks to be more modern than that.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifRamp.jpgThis loading ramp seen this morning at Liverpool Street (Not Chesunt as indicated on the ramp).

Interesting that the label refers to 'British Railways' - I thought that this was shortened to 'British Rail' in 1965 or thereabouts, and this ramp looks to be more modern than that.

There never was any organisation called 'British Rail' - that was ONLY a marketing name for British Railways .......... though it doesn't stop countless authors-who-should-know-better using the term for the years before the new 'Corporate Identity'.

attachicon.gifRamp.jpgThis loading ramp seen this morning at Liverpool Street (Not Chesunt as indicated on the ramp).

Tried to tie this to a date range via the manufacturer and telephone number, but without much success.

Walden's Trucks (Brandon, Suffolk) are now Hyprosteps(.co.uk) but the About page on the website doesn't give any information about the companies history, or when it became Hyprosteps.

The telephone number was in use until 1995, when the STD code became 01842, but I can't find any further information such as when it was introduced etc. from the brief search that I did.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed this section of rail being used as a header in a church basement in Guelph, Ontario.  I had to find some chalk to highlight the lettering, but it reads "Sheffield Toughened Steel 4mo 1879".  I wouldn't be surprised if it has been there all that time as I think that was when the church was built.

post-4319-0-37051000-1540483487_thumb.jpg

post-4319-0-29800100-1540483526_thumb.jpg

post-4319-0-81685200-1540483555_thumb.jpg

post-4319-0-59293400-1540483593_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

This loading ramp seen this morning at Liverpool Street (Not Chesunt as indicated on the ramp).

The double arrow is "of non-standard proportions" as well, so I imagine the whole label was produced by the ramp company without much reference to the BR style guide.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

One of the biggest ghosts in the machine, until it was dismantled in 2006, was the GCR bridge over the WCML at Rugby. Here is a photo of it when it was still just about in use, in early 1967. Taken from the top of the old coaling tower, by my father who at the time was Depot Superintendent at Rugby.

post-5674-0-86062100-1546184034_thumb.jpg

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Despite the yard at Chichester having closed to goods at least forty years ago, the weighbridge is still in situ:

31588569547_e0a4d14a18_b.jpgOriginal goods yard weighbridge at Chichester Station in West Sussex - December 2019 by John Upton, on Flickr

• Like 9