• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Taking a stroll along P1 at Paddington today, I ended up in the car park, alongside the old parcels platform, which I remember was used as a terminus platform for 5051 & 92220 working the shuttle to Old Oak on 20/09/1981. I discovered this still attached to the wall. It appears to be a list of London postal districts and streets. Any ideas what it was used for?

IMG_20190128_092838.jpg

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 2

Taking a stroll along P1 at Paddington today, I ended up in the car park, alongside the old parcels platform, which I remember was used as a terminus platform for 5051 & 92220 working the shuttle to Old Oak on 20/09/1981. I discovered this still attached to the wall. It appears to be a list of London postal districts and streets. Any ideas what it was used for?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jvPV_kNRbsrdTABEtdPSnOkR-I-FA2_k/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jvPV_kNRbsrdTABEtdPSnOkR-I-FA2_k/view?usp=sharing

From when there was Collection and Delivery of parcels ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 29/01/2019 at 00:18, rodent279 said:

IMG_20190128_092838.jpg

Delivery/collection (in a few cases) rounds for parcels traffic.

• Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Not yet a ghost in the machine, the footbridge over the WCML at Leighton Buzzard is scheduled for demolition over Easter.

Has been closed since July which is interesting as I believe the council only have the legal power to allow the temporary closure of a footpath for six months. When the first notice expired at the end of January a replacement starting in February was put up in its place. Not hugely important as there is an alternative route only yards away, but the ignoring of the publics right to use the path by those who's duty it is to protect those rights grates.   

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
On 18/02/2019 at 08:46, rodent279 said:

Not yet a ghost in the machine, the footbridge over the WCML at Leighton Buzzard is scheduled for demolition over Easter. Here's a couple of photos.

IMG_20190217_160820.jpg

IMG_20190217_154609.jpg

Is it likely to be preserved?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Is it likely to be preserved?

I doubt it. I'm sorry to see it go. I literally started watching trains on the bridge steps on the western (down fast) side.

But let's not kid ourselves that it's a priceless relic. I doubt if much of it dates beyond the 1880's when the line was quadrupled, except possibly the pillars on the down fast and Island platforms. I know for a fact that at least one of the bridge decks was replaced in the 1960's with the one from Sears Crossing a couple of miles south. Had the WCML electrification not been done at the least cost, doubtless it would have been properly rebuilt then.

The state of the concrete bridge deck floor would seem to be the problem, as shown in the photo below. I think it's beyond saving, and not really worth it anyway.

IMG_20190217_161118.jpg

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Surely a "Ghost in the Machine" Is something that is from a previous era and still masquerading as such.

IMHO That footbridge is still of our time, even if it should have been replaced with something better before now.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, melmerby said:

Surely a "Ghost in the Machine" Is something that is from a previous era and still masquerading as such.

IMHO That footbridge is still of our time, even if it should have been replaced with something better before now.

Will this do? Water tower base at Boultham junction just outside Lincoln. Got stopped there last week so chance to get a photo.

IMG_20190216_104608803.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
On 19/02/2019 at 15:48, melmerby said:

It'll be gone soon. Don't know what, if anything, will be left, maybe only the foundation stones of the pillars. Then it'll be a ghost.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Slightly off topic, spotted this in an antiques barn in Pembroke earlier, a BR (M) clocking in machine, any idea where it would have been used?

CE2C037A-1019-4484-ACA4-A16107E5C9C4.jpg

57A1FD21-BDDD-49BA-A75C-B042B8643B0E.jpg

£695 if anyone is interested 

Edited by big jim
Corrected price
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, JZjr said:

There is a brake van here, long disused on a long disused line.  Haven’t been there for a while so no photos I’m afraid.

Dropped pin
Near Unnamed Road, Frome
https://goo.gl/maps/HyrLDdsRMUC2

Cheers

53 minutes ago, Wickham Green said:

Isn't there also a Southern pillbox brake van abandoned somewhere in the Fens?

Edited by PhilJ W

• RMweb Gold
On 20/02/2019 at 20:34, big jim said:

Slightly off topic, spotted this in an antiques barn in Pembroke earlier, a BR (M) clocking in machine, any idea where it would have been used?

CE2C037A-1019-4484-ACA4-A16107E5C9C4.jpg

57A1FD21-BDDD-49BA-A75C-B042B8643B0E.jpg

£695 if anyone is interested 

They were used in numerous places in order to replace human timekeepers - could be anything from a works to a large goods depot.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Only this short 30 metre stretch of Staffordshire' Blue Brick arches are left to show that a railway line and station once ever existed in my home town of Leigh. Lancs' Built by the LNWR and opened on the 1st Sept' 1864, closed 3rd May 1969, now nearly 50 years since the closure and despite many campaigns over the years, we are still one of the largest Towns in Great Britain without a rail line. A plate steel bridge crossed Queen St. just here, the Brick arches then carried on again on what is now another car park seen on the right in these pics'. 

2019-03-11_11_41_53.jpg

2019-03-11_11_41_39.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Owd Bob said:

Only this short 30 metre stretch of Staffordshire' Blue Brick arches are left to show that a railway line and station once ever existed in my home town of Leigh. Lancs' Built by the LNWR and opened on the 1st Sept' 1864, closed 3rd May 1969, now nearly 50 years since the closure and despite many campaigns over the years, we are still one of the largest Towns in Great Britain without a rail line. A plate steel bridge crossed Queen St. just here, the Brick arches then carried on again on what is now another car park seen on the right in these pics'. 

Cor, and to think I actually travelled over that bridge on several occasions - mainly by DMU but most interestingly on a Black 5 hauled excursion to Blackpool.   

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Owd Bob said:

You've got a guided bus route - what more could you want or need :jester:

I see those at the MRI with their little guide wheels and wonder why on earth people invest in a guided bus route when simply a road will do.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 2

1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

You've got a guided bus route - what more could you want or need :jester:

I see those at the MRI with their little guide wheels and wonder why on earth people invest in a guided bus route when simply a road will do.

...... or better still, PROPER guided transport - with steel wheels.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Guided Buses!:mad: They're only full and used five days a week, first thing in a morning and at home/tea time, and only 'cos the paying public can't get on the over-crowded 142's and 150's at Atherton or other local stations, even then most normally use their cars to get to the bus way and use the Park and Ride stops.:lol: The rest of the day the buses are parked up in a line in Atherton hiding in a side street while the drivers sit around eating pies and smoking!;) I don't think We'll ever get a rail link again! We have had our quota spent on us now, they'll use it as an excuse and say the guided buses are just great and do a fine job:lol:.....only if you want to go to Manch' and no where else :rolleyes::whistle: Would have been a lot better with a Metro-link tram extension from the Kenyon or Atherton lines, the local Council have 'accidently on purpose' made sure that all or any possible future access routes have been demolished or built over....

Stationmaster! Thankfully I do have great memories of using the Station as a youngster and traveling on some of the last special outings with my Grandparents, most of the local mills & factories ran specials like BICC and David Brown Tractors etc.  I bought these few small prints at a local model show years ago....you might just be in one.

2019-03-12_15_22_36.jpg

2019-03-12_15_22_14.jpg

2019-03-12_15_22_01.jpg

• Like 11