On 12/02/2020 at 09:46, Titan said:

I would think that it would be a nice publicity exercise for the current LNER !

Reminds me of this - which I photted at Anerley Station back in '88 .......... wasn't visible last time I passed that way.

286.13j.jpg

................ not visible because the building's gone !

Edited by Wickham Green
update
  • Like 8

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Passing through Buxton I noticed this, probably because the vegetation is thin at the moment. Picture from Google as I couldn't stop to take one, but it is next to Aldi car park. Can't correlate it with any old stuff so I think it is probably from Peak Rail's use of the site.

1192823129_BuxtonWaterColumn.JPG.6b31a3e8b654f6443acde60e31b30695.JPG

• Like 4

On 10/03/2020 at 15:56, TheSignalEngineer said:

Passing through Buxton I noticed this, probably because the vegetation is thin at the moment. Picture from Google as I couldn't stop to take one, but it is next to Aldi car park. Can't correlate it with any old stuff so I think it is probably from Peak Rail's use of the site.

1192823129_BuxtonWaterColumn.JPG.6b31a3e8b654f6443acde60e31b30695.JPG

The site is currently been cleared of undergrowth by a re-started Buxton Peak Rail branch, think the council have been on Peak Rails back about developing the site.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know how to download an image from Streetview? I want to post an image of the last evidence of the wagon lift that gave access to the Romford brewery from the Eastern Counties Railway.

6 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Does anyone know how to download an image from Streetview? I want to post an image of the last evidence of the wagon lift that gave access to the Romford brewery from the Eastern Counties Railway.

Either take a screenshot or there's google's own 'share' feature somewhere on the page, on the 3 dots menu (that doens't look like a menu)

Edited by eastwestdivide
additional info
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, I've found the save button. Here is the image. The tunnel left of centre used to give access to the Romford Brewery from the Romford goods yard. The red brick construction to the left of that is a cut out in the retaining wall for the wagon lift that at first was the only rail access to the brewery via a wagon turntable in front of the tunnel mouth. The wagon lift and turntable are shown on a large scale 1853 map, before the goods yard was opened.2042126879_Romfordbreweryrailaccess..jpg.1f07f401d51a9aff51d9ef555c417add.jpg

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I was trawling through some old stuff of mine and found a "Runabout" tickets that was issued to me at Brixham Station in 1962. A friend and I, aged 15, had asked for the tickets as we wanted to travel around the local railways while we were in Devon on holiday from the Midlands. When we asked for the Runabouts - area 20 - we received slight perplexed looks and a "We haven't got anything like that in our ticket rack". However that was followed by a "I'm sure this will do the job" and he hand wrote these old tickets. We, of course, were delighted. The Great Western still alive and well in 1962!

I just about remember the slow, breath catching walk up to the station and the slow, rocky ride to Churston and the train slowing slightly (to even slower!) while a pheasant ambled off the track.

The line, of course, closed a year later. Good days and we just didn't realise how quickly it would all go.

brixham ticket.jpg

brixham ticket2.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I wonder when the last genuine B4 tickets were issued by BR in anger, there must have been thousands in existence at 01.01.1948. And pre- grouping too, I wonder if any survived to be issued by BR?

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rodent279 said:

I wonder when the last genuine B4 tickets were issued in after, there must have been thousands in existence at 01.01.1948. And pre-owned grouping too, I wonder if any survived to be issued by BR?

I would think that it would be around this time. There were standard BR "Runabout" tickets issued at this time, and probably for some while before, so it would only be stations on their last legs like Brixham where they didn't worry about restocking and probably the station issued very few special or long distance tickets. They would have standard BR stock tickets for all of the local destinations but have to blow the dust off these for anything unusual. I'm sure some other stations must have had a few left but whether they would have issued them is an interesting question. It can't have been many and virtually all of those small stations would have been closed over the next couple of years throughout the country.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Took a little while to find this thread, well over a month since it was updated. Then again not surprised as not many people are out and about.

Finally managed this shot today, what you're looking at is the big black block.

It's the base for one of the double bracket signals at Sleaford East. I saw a photo recently, possibly on here(?), showing that there was a four track section, two parallel pairs from just over the level crossing to the junction of the Bourne and Joint lines.

IMG_20200504_131043658.jpg.c95ce87232436dc10067b79f6267a9f6.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Those bracket 'feet' are truly massive castings buried in the ground. I'm assured that they turn up in the most inconvenient places during track re-alignments.. They are also quite common in the bit outside the cess... Far to much bother to dig them out...

Andy G

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the prototype for everything thread.

It's the 'new' token machine for the Matlock branch at Ambergate. Installed a few weeks ago, I presume refurbished from somewhere else or been in store a looooonng time.

Rather ironic if it came from a heritage line or railwayana auction.

IMG_20200605_115206874.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, great central said:

It's the 'new' token machine for the Matlock branch at Ambergate. Installed a few weeks ago, I presume refurbished from somewhere else or been in store a looooonng time.

A bit stingy on the provision of tokens! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, great central said:

Looks like one of these with the indicators removed

Even the push button is blanked:

tokeninstrument.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, melmerby said:

Looks like one of these with the indicators removed

Even the push button is blanked:

tokeninstrument.jpg

Without meaning to sound contrary,  just how many consecutive movements to matlock were they expecting! 

• Funny 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Glad to see that this relatively recent Ghost in the Machine is receiving a bit of TLC.

The Grade II listed 'box at Hebden Bridge closed on 19th October 2018 but, together with the station, is currently receiving attention to maintain/restore its appearance.  A couple of chaps in hi-viz were working on the rear wall .  Photo taken on 1st July 2020.

825139809_HebdenBridgeSignalBox01072020-RMweb.jpg.7a84968bf7c44e8e332c4e133763c28c.jpg

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

...a more modern variation on the theme of a "Grounded Van" - but a ghost never-the-less.

20200714_191210.jpg.8393b7a9492e726477f7a8d6bf983d5f.jpg

20200714_191234.jpg.3e729cdcdc97587a318124c43e887f68.jpg

Kev.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, SHMD said:

...a more modern variation on the theme of a "Grounded Van" - but a ghost never-the-less.

20200714_191210.jpg.8393b7a9492e726477f7a8d6bf983d5f.jpg

20200714_191234.jpg.3e729cdcdc97587a318124c43e887f68.jpg

Kev.

It's a fair few years since those were in service.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 01/07/2020 at 19:43, Rugd1022 said:

Been meaning to photograph this for years, managed it last week whilst running round the Small Heath stone job....

IMG_7524.JPG

Just spotted your picture.

Tyseley, (opened 1906) is one of the few remaining mostly intact structures from the GWR widening of it's line south of Birmingham.

It's fairly complete, little changed from GWR times, complete with canopies.

Small Heath still has it's rather tatty ticket office at street level,  as does Acocks Green but that's all.

Hi,

Only just come across this interesting thread. By coincidence, I took a couple of photos last week which might qualify.

Taunton. 07.07.202020200707_101025.jpg.53de3beb03e4eb12b999f079b1c70b7d.jpg

20200707_101046.jpg.98f18a3ba25d9df6d7b3206c5b33f8ba.jpg

Anyone know when this building was last used and whether the sign was ever covered over with a more modern one? The building is surrounded by modern flats and further re-development of the area is planned so will be interesting to see what, if anything, becomes of it?

Mike

• Like 8

A little further along the Bridgwater & Taunton canal is the old water tower. You can see the proximity to the new flats, so wonder whether there are any plans to re-use this building. Would be a shame if it was demolished. Photos 07.07.2020.

20200707_101608.jpg.dab512f35e1c71f5243a1104f3504094.jpg

I can't quite make out the lettering on the building. Looks more like an advert than railway related? Would be great if anyone had a photo which showed it better? I didn't go around to the other side facing the railway last week, but Streetview shows it still lettered 'BRITISH RAILWAYS   TAUNTON FREIGHT CONCENTRATION DEPOT'.

20200707_101710.jpg.26501682b5f03a711d3f114c1dc992e6.jpg

Mike

• Like 11

This 18inch gauge railway has always intrigued me - mainly because it's  survived. Bhmstd_NGR_0001.JPG.0157d0752a0c0c8c31defd9be2b9ad78.JPGBhmstd_NGR_0002.jpg.a8a20d76eab66a142faef789d50d9d31.jpgBhmstd_NGR_0003.JPG.6a9d0e1b61d789ee845aa18372e4196b.JPG

It;s the gasworks railway at Berkhamstead. It ran until 1955 (one local source says 1958)  when the gasworks stopped production and became just a gas storage facility. Thehalf mile or so lie ran from the bottom of the embankment below a siding extended from the LNWR  goods yard (now the station car park needess to say) from where coal was dropped into small four wheel  wagons,  It then turned under  the WCML through a tunnel to the north of the station before running between the Grand Union Canal and the railway boundary (now a standard steel fence) to the town's gasworks. There's no trace that I can see between the station and the far end of the tunnel though that area is now housing so someone's back garden may have a curious "feature".   The tunnel itself is firmly gated shut but the track through the tunnel and as far as the site boundary of the gasworks - now redeveloped as an industrial estate- appears to be completely intact though very overgrown. I took these pictures in winter 2008 when the track was less overgrown but AFAIK it's all still there .

The railway was horse drawn and from contemporary photos it doesn't look as if it would have carried any reverse loads of coke or tar

More about it here

https://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/24/Berkhamstead.htm

Edited by Pacific231G
more information
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 1