• RMweb Gold

Does this count as a ghost in the machine? BR era signage at Bristol TM, though a couple have had more modern transfers placed over them.

I thought I had photos of the parcels loading signage at TM as well, I may take a cycle ride later and get some.

20170801_090022.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Does this count as a ghost in the machine? BR era signage at Bristol TM, though a couple have had more modern transfers placed over them.

I thought I had photos of the parcels loading signage at TM as well, I may take a cycle ride later and get some.

There are a few stations around the system where the old signs are still used. I think they are mainly the Network Rail managed ones.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully this will work, copied from the Twitter account @eastmidrailway. Note this is not the fully official version and therefore not edited by the company.

More like a ghost on the machine but somewhat akin to the GWR and LMS lettering that survived on a couple of steam locos into the late 50-early 60s.

For our younger readers that's the 1950s and 60s!

image.png.c27400ee3d63480caa795b5a37fceb36.png

Edited by great central
Add last paragraph
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Some very fond memories of Manningtree station. Used change there to go see my grandparents who lived in Dovercourt. The best day of my young life ( 13-14 yo ) was a cab ride in a class 37, all the way from Liverpool St to Manningtree. The platforms were shorter then, so the loco had to pull past the ramp, can you imagine what it was like for me to climb down off the loco and walk back to the platform at that age! The engine looked huge to me.

When we went there, we changed onto the 'Little train ' to Dovercourt, that in it's self was a great line to travel back then.

Happy days.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I took my chances, taking this photograph….

Not many places on the railway where photography is illegal, but this is one of them…

13C8058F-E8E9-42CA-BCD3-287A2B97077E.jpeg.80a7d4f0b4a46274050c7f4a59142bf2.jpeg

Though I doubt an EPS service has ever been in proximity to this sign, which is in broad daylight and on a busy platform. The purpose behind this sign long since abandoned… making it not just a ghost, but a ghost of a myth that never happened.

I think the NRM should claim this sign, and put it with their 140mph speed sign in the crate of undelivered dreams.

Indeed its so open, I hope putting this picture up doesn't result in the sudden disappearance of it.

any guesses where ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, big jim said:

A ghost in the permit to travel machine

kings Sutton station this evening a BR/NSE permit to travel machine, there is also one at lapworth apparently 

600D99A2-9D34-45DC-8F1D-901ED14A8C2C.jpeg.00d998db241ff5af755cfc8629b14f3b.jpeg

There are still a couple clinging on along the Sussex Coast, mostly with the casing repainted grey and seeing little if any use.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Spotted this in the scrap pile in shrewsbury earlier, I might find out who the scrap belongs to and see if I can claim it, pop back in the Touareg to pick it up

like BRUTE trolleys, something that was part of the furniture but now a memory (apart from upgraded ones at a few stations) 

95391591-886B-4E63-BB7F-435C174033CD.jpeg.a5e9eeca5500973ee938c4fe066578bf.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, big jim said:

Spotted this in the scrap pile in shrewsbury earlier, I might find out who the scrap belongs to and see if I can claim it, pop back in the Touareg to pick it up

like BRUTE trolleys, something that was part of the furniture but now a memory (apart from upgraded ones at a few stations) 

95391591-886B-4E63-BB7F-435C174033CD.jpeg.a5e9eeca5500973ee938c4fe066578bf.jpeg

Its a B&Q trolley.

• RMweb Premium

Supermarket trolleys can cost anything from £200 to £500 each. No doubt the bigger supermarkets get a discount for bulk orders and the smaller Tesco outlets for example have to make do with refurbished ones from the bigger stores.

9 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Supermarket trolleys can cost anything from £200 to £500 each. No doubt the bigger supermarkets get a discount for bulk orders and the smaller Tesco outlets for example have to make do with refurbished ones from the bigger stores.

Refurbished? You mean they're deliberately set to go wherever you don't want them to?

• Funny 2

• 2 months later...