Useful Reference Books (for USA & Canadian Prototypes/Models)

trisonic

Beebe's Mixed Train Daily - perhaps the best railroad book ever written. Page after page of inspiration for atmospheric layouts steeped in railroad folklore and history. Sadly my copy is literally wearing out from use.

If I had to take three books to a desert island they would be the Bible, Herodotus and Beebe - and not necessarily in that order...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Beebe's Mixed Train Daily - perhaps the best railroad book ever written. Page after page of inspiration for atmospheric layouts steeped in railroad folklore and history. Sadly my copy is literally wearing out from use.

If I had to take three books to a desert island they would be the Bible, Herodotus and Beebe - and not necessarily in that order...

Mixed Train Daily is superb; but I regard any of Beebe's railroad titles to be wonderful; the gentleman's way with words is so distinctive and so beguiling. There are still copies out there if you need another. Or look for "The Trains We Rode".

• 3 weeks later...

My favorites are http://www.signaturepress.com/ SP Freight Car Series volumes 1-6 and the PFE history.

Another source is the Southern Pacific Historical and Technical Society https://https://www.sphts.org/  of which I am a member but anyone can buy from their company store). They have published a series on SP Passenger Cars which contains one of the most detailed explorations.

Other railroad historical societies have similar research and publishing operations (ATSF, NP, UP and GN). They also have quarterly publications similar to the Wild Swan Great Western Journal in detail and depth of articles.

best

Edited by autocoach
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Another book, albeit especially for modellers of the major Western roads (EsPee, BN and two that I can't bring myself to mention) is Hanggie's "Pool Power West". it's got shots of foreign (i.e. guest/leased etc.) power on the four roads' metals. There are also some shots of these roads' power running as pay-back/guests on Eastern metals.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

As Society PRO hoping it is OK to give a plug to the SLS Library - details at http://www.stephensonloco.org.uk/SLSlibrary.htm

A considerable number of books on N American prototypes (US and Canadian). Full catalogue searchable on-line. Open for personal visits twice a month at Atherstone, Surrey; alternatively a postal loan service available on most items.

It is a member only service, first year £10 for new members then £25pa.

Ted Culotta at Speedwitch Media has just released a new book on steam/transition era refrigerator cars....it's a great book of b&w photos.  www.speedwitchmedia.com

Spiral bound. Great for reference in model building and decaling as the page will stay open without bending the book spine.  I have had a copy about 2 months and used the PFE section extensively even though I have a copy of Tony Thompson's PFE mega tome and Dick Hurley's website.  If you have any interest in North American prototypes from the 1950's and earlier, get this book from Speedwitch.

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

New for shortline aficionados: The Pinsly Railroad Company, Garbeley Publishing. Hardback.
Masterwork on this successful family shortline operator.

All the red GE 44 & 70 tonners you could ask for. $70US, Linda Tinker Railway Books supplies postfree for £70UK.

Dava

3EE692B9-8AD7-4ABD-9CBB-7E13CBD4836B.jpeg.9017b259e1a244a9df9df5b7f1107403.jpeg

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Oooh, CF7s.... *drool* *dribble*

Must... resist.... :help:

Very easy to do!

And I’m surprised at your enthusiasm. After all, they used to be F-Units, didn’t they?

10 minutes ago, pH said:

Very easy to do!

And I’m surprised at your enthusiasm. After all, they used to be F-Units, didn’t they?

They did, and whilst spoiling utterly ruining the natural good looks of an F-Unit, they cascaded down to populate many Short Lines - another main interest of mine. We simply have nothing like them (edit - 'them' as in Short Lines) in the UK.

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 3

• AY Mod unpinned this topic