Useful Reference Books (for USA & Canadian Prototypes/Models)

trisonic

If you are into SP, the following are highly recommended but may be hard to find.

A Century of Southern Pacific. Steam Locomotives by Guy L. Dunscomb. The bible on SP steam, published in 1967, no ISBN on my copy, which I consider priceless

Southern Pacific Dieselization by John Bonds Garmany. A useful history of the modernization of the railroad, published in 1985, ISBN 0-915713-12-8

The Southern Pacific 1901-1985 by Don L. Hofsommer. An almost academic history of the "empire, not a railroad", published 1986, ISBN 0-89096-246-4

These three books focus on motive power and the system at large. More specific books on subjects like the Daylight are also worth looking into. Some superb period color photos are out there!

• 4 months later...

Hi All,

A new (updated?) book out next month;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-American-Railyards-Updated-Expanded/dp/0760346097/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1415706279&sr=1-4&keywords=%22C%26NW%22#reader_0760346097

Looks good to me! I know of Michael Rhodes of old, he's quite a freight fan but I didn't know he was into NA outline.

Cheers,

John

• RMweb Gold

If you really have a problem finding it I should still be able to find a copy over here.

Adrian

Thanks for the offer Adrian. We are over your side of the pond in a couple of months so might get chance to pick one up in Caboose Hobbies if not one here before hand.

If not I will let you know.

regards

Ian

• 1 month later...

Here are a few of the books I have on passenger cars and passenger trains:

Coach Trains and Travel, Patrick C. Dorin, Superior Publishing Co. 1975

A nice overview of the lightweight era, starting with the streamliners like the City of Salina and the Pioneer Zephyr through to the early Amtrak era

From Zephyr to Amtrak A Guide to Lightweight cars and Streamliners, David Randall, Prototype Publications 1972

Basically a listing of every lightweight coach built, organized by railroad and named train. A few pictures, but more useful as a name/type resource.

Domeliners Yesterday's Trains of Tomorrow, Karl Zimmermann, Kalmbach 1998

A look at dome cars and the trains they ran in.

The Hiawatha Story, Jim Scribbins, Kalmbach 1970

Basically everything you ever wanted to know about the Milwaukee Road Hiawathas.

Pennsylvania Railroad Passenger Car Painting and Lettering, Charles Blardone Jr. and Peter Tilp, Pennsylvania Railroad Technical & Historical Society 1988

What it says on the tin. It has a wealth of information about PRR cars, including those that ran in other trains (and colours)

Pennsylvania Railroad Passenger Trains, Consists and Cars - 1952 Volume One - East-West Trains, Harry Stegmaier Jr., TLC Publishing 2003

Exactly what it says in the tin, with lots of information. I don't think any other PRR volumes have ever been published, He has done a couple of similar books on the B&O and one on the C&O, but I don't have them.

Turbotrain: A Journey, Jason Schron, Rapido Trains 2007

Yes, that Jason Schron. Everything you wanted to know about the Turbo.

Some Classic Trains, Arthur D. Dubin, Kalmbach 1964

Descriptions of the better known named trains, with photos from different periods of their existence.

More Classic Trains, Arthur D. Dubin, Kalmbach 1974

Similar to his previous volume but with more esoteric subjects.

Pennsy Streamliners The Blue Ribbon Fleet, Joe Welsh, Kalmbach 1999

A look at PRR trains in the streamline/lightweight era

The Union Pacific Streamliners, Harold E Ranks and William W. Kratville, Kratville Publications 1974

Exactly what it says, very comprehensive.

Burlington Northern Passenger Cars Volume One, Charles A. Rudisel, Car Publications 1974

Very large format book of photos, drawings, and floor plans of cars of BN, including former GN, NP, SPS, and CBQ cars.

Adrian

• 2 months later...

I have recently discovered a set of three books that were written by David Randal in ~1980 that are listings of every lightweight streamline car built, with lot, order, type, and subsequent owners. They are split by manufacturer, Pullman-Standard, Budd, and ACF and others. They are probably too limited and esoteric for most people, but if you are interested in obsessed with passenger cars...

I have just received the PS one and the ACF+ one is on its way to me, but the Budd one is more elusive and seems to command a higher price on eBay.

The books are like the lot lists in the back of the Harris GWR Coaches book, but in 3 volumes and covering all the North American railroads.

Adrian

I have recently discovered a set of three books that were written by David Randal in ~1980 that are listings of every lightweight streamline car built, with lot, order, type, and subsequent owners. They are split by manufacturer, Pullman-Standard, Budd, and ACF and others. They are probably too limited and esoteric for most people, but if you are interested in obsessed with passenger cars...

I have just received the PS one and the ACF+ one is on its way to me, but the Budd one is more elusive and seems to command a higher price on eBay.

The books are like the lot lists in the back of the Harris GWR Coaches book, but in 3 volumes and covering all the North American railroads.

Adrian

Adrian

I also have a David Randall Volume, but it is in a different series, namely The Official Pullman-Standard Library.  My book is Volume 6, Southern Pacific Postwar Cars, dated 1988.  No ISBN number as I think they were published privately.  My copy says it is number 1732.  I think I bought it second hand at Motor Books, near Leicester Square, London, back around 1994.  The diagrams and photos are superb.

Paul

Adrian

I also have a David Randall Volume, but it is in a different series, namely The Official Pullman-Standard Library.  My book is Volume 6, Southern Pacific Postwar Cars, dated 1988.  No ISBN number as I think they were published privately.  My copy says it is number 1732.  I think I bought it second hand at Motor Books, near Leicester Square, London, back around 1994.  The diagrams and photos are superb.

Paul

Yes, the Official Pullman-Standard Library volumes are very nice, but tend to be on the high end of my price range these days. There is an internet bookseller close to me that currently has that particular volume on offer at $US 181.35.

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle

Yes, the Official Pullman-Standard Library volumes are very nice, but tend to be on the high end of my price range these days. There is an internet bookseller close to me that currently has that particular volume on offer at $US 181.35.

Adrian

That is a lot of money. I don't think I will be adding to my collection any time soon!

That is a lot of money. I don't think I will be adding to my collection any time soon!

Paul, Abebooks is listing 15 books from this series at less than $100US, including postage within the US. Not cheap, but not the sort of price Adrian mentioned. There's even a couple being sold from the UK.

Paul, Abebooks is listing 15 books from this series at less than $100US, including postage within the US. Not cheap, but not the sort of price Adrian mentioned. There's even a couple being sold from the UK.

It does depend a bit on which roads/subjects and what condition the book is in. There is also someone offering a 16 volume set for $2925.

You will also notice that there are no listings for Vol 1 (ATSF), Vol 2 (NYC), or Vol 4 (PRR) singly, which are likely the most popular ones.

The volumes are:

1. ATSF

2. NYC

3. GN/NP/SP&S

4. PRR

5. SP Prewar

6. SP Postwar

7. Southeast: ACL/SAL/SOU/FEC/L&N/C&EI

8. CRI&P

9. C&NW

10. Northeast: NH/B&M/MEC/BAR/Erie/DL&W/LV/LI

11. Mid-Atlantic: B&O/C&O/NKP/N&W/Wabash

12. IC

13. UP '33-'37

14. UP '37-'58

15. Western: DRG&W/MILW/MP/KCS/SLSF/MKT

16. Various: CN/Pool/NdeM/USArmy/etc.

There is also a Selected Heavyweight Cars volume.

Note also that these cover PS cars, and so don't necessarily give the full picture for a railroad. Notice that CB&Q isn't listed above since their stock came from Budd.

Adrian

One more from my library - I bought this one in Calgary, Alberta - in the Great Passenger trains series, Southern Pacific Passenger Trains by Brian Solomon, published in 2005.

ISBN 0-7603-1795-X, listed price £24.99, $36.95, C$46.95.  Did I really pay that in C$?

The book contains some rare photographs, including a cab-in-front AC-10 heading a GS-4 on the Daylight out of SLO.  The cab-in-front appears to be doing all the work!  Also, a staged photo of the first class dining car experience when it was running at a loss in the 1950s but considered a necessity to keep customers on board.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if such meals could be served on board trains again?   And some classic posters, as well:  Next time, try the Sunset Limited.

One more from my library - I bought this one in Calgary, Alberta - in the Great Passenger trains series, Southern Pacific Passenger Trains by Brian Solomon, published in 2005.

ISBN 0-7603-1795-X, listed price £24.99, $36.95, C$46.95.  Did I really pay that in C$?

Probably - that's about where the exchange rates were when it was released.

Adrian

• 3 months later...

I also posted this in the N&W thread:

I just picked up a quite useful book. Freight Cars of the '40s and '50s, by Jeff Wilson, Kalmbach 2015 (yes, brand new). ISBN 978-1-62700-144-1. It is in the standard Kalmbach softback format (aprrox A4 size) with 96 pages. It goes through the various car types and describes the major variants, with lots of supporting photos.

Chapters:

1. Modelling a freight car fleet

2. Paint and lettering

3. Boxcars

4. Refrigerator cars

5. Hoppers and gondolas

6. Tank cars

7. Covered hoppers

8. Flatcars

9. Stock cars

10. Trucks and brake gear

I think it is well worth the price ($US 21.99)

Adrian

• Like 1

I picked up a couple of magazine specials, one good and one reasonable.

The reasonable one was the Classic Trains special Trains of the 1970s. It is a collection of somewhat eclectic articles about the 1970s. There are lots of photos (mostly colour) to go with them. Articles include The formation of BN, Canadian National, Canadian Pacific's C-Liners, Amtrak, Penn Central memories, Conrail, Milwaukee Road electrics, Bicentennial liveries, and others.

http://ctr.trains.com/issues/2015/trains-of-the-1970s

The more interesting one was the Trains special Heavy Hauls. It deals with the current state of railroad traffic, including discussions of the economics. There are articles on Coal, Grain, Intermodal, Chemicals, Lumber, Autos, Oil, Local Freight, and Rock (aggregate). There is also an article on the QNS&L ore trains and another on odd loads (including the Boeing trains).

http://trn.trains.com/marketing/2015/01/heavy-hauls

I also picked up the latest Diesel Era, which covers Southern SD45s, Southern Pacific U25Bs (part 1), and the UP Coalmont Branch. It also has some photos of the new NS 911 commemorative livery (on an SD60E).

Adrian

• 1 month later...

For the Amtrak fan, Amtrak by the Numbers is a comprehensive roster of locos and passenger cars from Amtrak's first 40 years. It is a big, expensive book but it does have good colour photos throughout. Brought to you by the same people who do Passenger Train Journal.

http://shop.whiteriverproductions.com/products/amtn

Also, I picked up the latest edition of the Withers Contemporary Diesel Spotter's Guide http://www.dieselera.com/#!product/prd1/3968419051/the-contemporary-diesel-spotter%27s-guide-2008-2015 I found this mildly disapointing. It does have the updates for the current locos and has the same style of entries as its predecessor, but it does drop a lot of the older (but still in current use) locos meaning that you also need the previous edition http://www.dieselera.com/#!product/prd1/3426884055/the-contemporary-diesel-spotter%27s-guide---year-200 as well. The new edition covers EMD 710 and later locos (starting with the GP59, although inexplicably leaving out the SD90), GE Dash 8 and newer, and other current locos. It does have data tables in the back for the older (645, Dash 7, etc.) locos.

Edit to remove ambiguity.

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle

• RMweb Gold

For the Amtrak fan, Amtrak by the Numbers is a comprehensive roster of locos and passenger cars from Amtrak's first 40 years. It is a big, expensive book but it does have good colour photos throughout. Brought to you by the same people who do Passenger Train Journal.

http://shop.whiteriverproductions.com/products/amtn

Looks a heavy book to carry around the USA in our bags but might have to get one whist we are over there.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• 1 month later...

If you are into SP, the following are highly recommended but may be hard to find.

A Century of Southern Pacific. Steam Locomotives by Guy L. Dunscomb. The bible on SP steam, published in 1967, no ISBN on my copy, which I consider priceless

Southern Pacific Dieselization by John Bonds Garmany. A useful history of the modernization of the railroad, published in 1985, ISBN 0-915713-12-8

The Southern Pacific 1901-1985 by Don L. Hofsommer. An almost academic history of the "empire, not a railroad", published 1986, ISBN 0-89096-246-4

These three books focus on motive power and the system at large. More specific books on subjects like the Daylight are also worth looking into. Some superb period color photos are out there!

Hofsommer's is a very good book on the system - if you can find Richard Orsi's "Sunset Limited" it covers the corporate history up to 1930 and complements Hofsommer's.

John Signor's books are all worth looking out for - they cover individual divisions of the EsPee. Lucius Beebe's magisterial "Central Pacific and Southern Pacific" deals with the early days in a style which I find wonderful but which many find overblown.

Morning Sun and Four Ways West do books on various roads and on geographic areas, almost always in full colour(color).

Motorbooks International do monographs on a few roads, written by people who know their subjects.

• 4 months later...