Prototype for everything

colmflanagan

Many years ago the Railway Modeller ran a picture article called "prototype for everything" - this is a bit out of my period but...

I couldn't resist doing this when I saw a photo of a train a while ago on (I think) the Great Central Railway, which bought an ex CIE generator steam van, and used it for heating behind a Class 45, which presumably had had it's steam equipment removed at some stage, as many did. I expect the GSV has now been repainted.

post-4092-0-88859500-1323800255_thumb.jpg

Many years ago the Railway Modeller ran a picture article called "prototype for everything" - this is a bit out of my period but...

I couldn't resist doing this when I saw a photo of a train a while ago on (I think) the Great Central Railway, which bought an ex CIE generator steam van, and used it for heating behind a Class 45, which presumably had had it's steam equipment removed at some stage, as many did. I expect the GSV has now been repainted.

post-4092-0-88859500-1323800255_thumb.jpg

I've since discovered that the loco in question was a preserved Class 44 "peak" and that the GSV packed in after a while, leavingweveryone in the cold.

Colm

• 4 years later...

NIR bought some Mark II's from BR in the 80's and at least one was pressed into service running on the Enterprise service still in Blue/Grey livery. There were a few pics on fotopic before its demise, the only picture I can find is here http://s193.photobucket.com/profile/csalem_2007

Hi,

There's a photo of this on p64 of Irish Railways Traction and Travel 2nd edition by Metro, showing it sandwiched between two NIR vehicles on an Enterprise  working.... hauled by a CIE livered loco.

Steve

Archived