Harford Street Mk IV

L49

Hello Andrew,

Reading that you once lived in Stepney, did you see the Sidney Street & Redmans Road exhibition that was on the circuit a few years back?

Charlie and I built it in double quick time to take to a "layout party" in east London suburbia. It wasn't our best work, but we enjoyed doing it and it appeared at various shows including Ally Pally.

At one of the exhibitions a man told us that he had childhood memories of climbing through a broken window at Sidney Street station so he could smoke a fag without being seen by adults. Goodness knows which station he remembered as Sidney Street was of course fictitious!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I remember that old station. Yeah we used to go in there and smoke fags.... 'Ere.... you'll nevva guess who I went to school with.... Yeah, that's right- Ronnie and Reggie.

I did work with a chap who had been to the same skool as the Krays, but a year or two later. I think he had started as a cleaner at Devons Road.

Hello Andrew,

Reading that you once lived in Stepney, did you see the Sidney Street & Redmans Road exhibition that was on the circuit a few years back?

Charlie and I built it in double quick time to take to a "layout party" in east London suburbia. It wasn't our best work, but we enjoyed doing it and it appeared at various shows including Ally Pally.

At one of the exhibitions a man told us that he had childhood memories of climbing through a broken window at Sidney Street station so he could smoke a fag without being seen by adults. Goodness knows which station he remembered as Sidney Street was of course fictitious!

HI Jim,

Sadly I missed it but sure glad I found this thread!

Andrew

Hello all. Thank you for your kind comments. Unfortunately Harford Street is a home layout and not portable, so it can't be exhibited.

Here are a few more photos in case they're of interest.

Hi,  Fantastic atmosphere, what method do you use to get the dirty drab buildings? its really authentic looking.

Pete

I use brickwork, which is drawn up in Adobe Illustrator and printed on card.

Once the building is complete I airbrush it with Humbrol matt black enamel, diluted with white spirit. The brush needs to be kept on the move whilst working, because any concentration in one spot would ruin the affect.

I used styrene sheet for many years, but after some experimentation, changed to printed card, as I much prefer the results.

• Like 1

A few more phots...

I appreciate that the NLR 4-4-0T is a bit out of period to say the least, but I think they were lovely locos and so typical of the old North London. It's built from one of Charlie's 3D prints.

BEL No 1 is self explanatory. I drew up the artwork on Adobe Illustrator and had her etched. I saw the prototype in a scrapyard near Prestons Road in 1965, but sadly don't remember her working.

The large derelict building is Trafalgar School. The prototype closed (I believe) in 1941 and it then became a temporary fire station for the AFS. It got in this state after a doodlebug landed nearby towards the end of the Second World War.

The building to the right of Barratts Stores is Copley Street goods depot. It's based on the old GNR offices at Royal Mint Street and appears to have been designed by Tite, who handled all the architectural work for the London & Blackwall in its early days. The prototype looked very much like a passenger station and its tempting to think that it may have once been part of the old Minories terminus, but unfortunately it wasn't quite in the right position! Still, I'd love to build a layout based on Minories during the transition from cable haulage to locomotives in 1849, so maybe I'll use a bit of artist's licence!

post-14108-0-33358900-1529600446_thumb.jpg

post-14108-0-40143800-1529600472_thumb.jpg

post-14108-0-30691100-1529600512_thumb.jpg

post-14108-0-39899000-1529600576_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 years later...
On 21/06/2018 at 18:16, Jim Connor said:

A few more phots...

I appreciate that the NLR 4-4-0T is a bit out of period to say the least, but I think they were lovely locos and so typical of the old North London. It's built from one of Charlie's 3D prints.

BEL No 1 is self explanatory. I drew up the artwork on Adobe Illustrator and had her etched. I saw the prototype in a scrapyard near Prestons Road in 1965, but sadly don't remember her working.

The large derelict building is Trafalgar School. The prototype closed (I believe) in 1941 and it then became a temporary fire station for the AFS. It got in this state after a doodlebug landed nearby towards the end of the Second World War.

The building to the right of Barratts Stores is Copley Street goods depot. It's based on the old GNR offices at Royal Mint Street and appears to have been designed by Tite, who handled all the architectural work for the London & Blackwall in its early days. The prototype looked very much like a passenger station and its tempting to think that it may have once been part of the old Minories terminus, but unfortunately it wasn't quite in the right position! Still, I'd love to build a layout based on Minories during the transition from cable haulage to locomotives in 1849, so maybe I'll use a bit of artist's licence!

post-14108-0-33358900-1529600446_thumb.jpg

post-14108-0-40143800-1529600472_thumb.jpg

post-14108-0-30691100-1529600512_thumb.jpg

post-14108-0-39899000-1529600576_thumb.jpg

Good Afternoon

I came across the site because Barrett's Stores used in one of the models was actually owned by my grandfather and our family after he died. It was the only one of three shops that survived the blitz. I use to go to the hardware shop and play shops for real with my grandmother as a child. When the shop was open a tin bath and other items would be hanging from a hocks above the windows and various items would be put outside the shop in old bins. I remember back in mid 70's still finding hardware items marked in pounds, shillings and pence. It was like a time capsule and it sold everything. I was just so amazed to see it, especially in such a wonderful layout, I just had to join the site.

Roy

• Like 3

• 6 months later...