Harford Street Mk IV

L49

I like the weathering effect on your buildings, do you very lightly airbrush them with dilute track colour ?

Superb urban modelling - inspirational - thanks for posting the pix.

brit15

I like the weathering effect on your buildings, do you very lightly airbrush them with dilute track colour ?

Superb urban modelling - inspirational - thanks for posting the pix.

brit15

Generally the colours of choice for Jim, Charlie and myself are Humbrol 33 and Humbrol 98. A dilute wash of Humbrol 33 (matt black) is airbrushed onto the buildings. For the track and ballast, Humbrol 98 (Matt Chocolate) is airbrushed on.

Thank you! Hopefully we will be able to get a bit more done over the next couple of weeks and move the scenery out from the station area a bit more. The basic blocks for the cutting to the west of the station are now in, including the White Horse Lane bridge. Once that is in I will have to get my finger out and start work on the GER viaduct at the window end.

Thank you for all your kind comments.

With regard to weathering my buildings, I have tried various paints including gouache and acrylics, but have always returned to Humbrol.

As BD stated, I invariably use Humbroil Matt Black (No 33), diluted to approx 40/60 with white spirit.

After completion I will spray the models with an aerograph airbrush, using a mix that is generally around 40% paint and 60% white spirit. The mix is important because too much paint can result in a degree of "splattering" which could ruin the finished job, particularly if the building has been constructed from printed card. Sometimes I will make the diltion slightly weaker, particularly if I am working on a more 'modern' building, such as one constructed in the 1930s, as this would not be as grimy as one dating from Victoria times, even in an area such as east London, which, until the Clear Air Act, suffered from dreadful polution and smogs.

I use card these days as I feel this gives the best brick effect, although I was once a complete devotee of styrene sheet!

I start spraying from the top and work downwards, therefore the roof (if there is one!) is the 'dirtiest' part of the building. I know that everybody have their own techniques, but this seems to work best for me.

I know it's stating the obvious, but take care when using an airbrush. Always use a spraying mask and, if possible put your model in one of those sp[ray booths that can be found at various exhibitions. They're not cheap, but they certainly seem to keep the room free of paint odours. I also think it's best to spray a piece of scrap card before starting on the actual model, so if the airbrush is going to spit, it'll do it there and then, so any problems with the mix can be rectified. It's also worth investing in a decent airbrush. A friend of mine was once tempted to buy one at a knocked-down price and was horrified to see the 'pebble-dash' effect, when he tried to weather a building.

I hope these few brief notes are of interest. I apologise for not replying earlier, but have been busy working on the layout and have only just found the time to sit down at the computer!

• Like 4

Superb! As an ex-pat Londoner, Hackney rather than Mile End and with a father & uncles on the signalling side based at Dalston this latest incarnation seems like deja vu!

Now where did I put those London Road NLR coaches & the Peter Kay kits................................

I was weathering more wagons tonight, with the spray booth and I still managed to stink the gaff out with paint fumes. Good job I was wearing a respirator! :dontknow:

Turn your bleedin' pressure down then!

• 6 months later...

I haven't had much chance to do any work on the layout recently, but I did call round with the camera to try to get some new shots of the work that Dad has done, and to get some shots that you will never be able to see from the viewing side.

I will start with a couple of these, looking along Mile End Road with the recently finished buildings on the south side.

post-8704-0-82438400-1345045827_thumb.jpg

post-8704-0-74924100-1345045677_thumb.jpg

post-8704-0-05882900-1345045881_thumb.jpg

This is Floreston Street bridge

post-8704-0-07988600-1345045740_thumb.jpg

Finally a couple of shots of White Horse Lane bridge. The tower in the background of the first shot is the Mile End Methodist hall, otherwise known as 'The Lycett'.

post-8704-0-16111400-1345045938_thumb.jpg

Finally, opposite the main bulk of the Lycett is the one contribution I have actually been able to make to the layout since the last pictures were posted. This is Cohen's stores on White horse Lane. It looks like Mr Cohen had quite a retail empire along this street, as the red-brick building in the background was also part of Cohen's stores, although it had obviously fared a bit better during the war!

post-8704-0-92659500-1345045779_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• 3 months later...

Bravo, Jim!

My decision to use card as a basis for my current layout was influenced by Sidney Street. Fabulous. Have you designed/built Mile End using the same methods (photoshop?)?

Best wishes,

Jonte

Thanks Jonte, much appreciated.

Yes, Mile End Gate was designed on the computer, but I use Adobe Illustrator not Photoshop.

I was once an advocate of using plastic sheet, but was never really happy with brickwork so, after many years, I changed to card. I know that some modellers like the relief of plastic brickwork, but to be quite honest, would the indentations of mortar courses actually be visible when scaled down to 4mm, unless of course a considerable amount of mortar had dropped out and the wall was about to fall down?

I used the same programme for the various etches. I only wish such technology was available when I started back in the 1970s!

Best wishes

Jim