57601 at Dumfries, June 13th 1959

Guest stuartp

Guest stuartp

I buy plenty of prints of locos, stations etc for my own records, but having no interest in publishing them I don't normally buy them with copyright. However, this one was sold with copyright so for no other reason than it's a cracking photo, and I can, here it is:

If you click on it you'll get one just short of 3000 pixels wide. The photographer's name was not recorded on the neg but whoever you are, thank you.

It's a Caley 812 of course, one of Dumfries's motley collection of Caley 0-6-0s which included Jumbos, 812s and a 300 Class up until the early 60s. This one has the later Pickersgill tender off a 300 Class (I think), the giveaways are the coal rails and the fact that it stands a few inches higher than the McIntosh one - compare the tender and loco cab handrails to see the difference. Note also "TRIP SAT KEEP OFF" chalked on the tender toolbox !

I'm not sure which bit of Dumfries this is, I think it's the sidings opposite the loco shed on the goods yard side, although I'm not sure. The yard lamp appears to have started life as signal post !

Lovely picture, Stuart, and thanks for posting it. I didn't see 57601 in that condition but, unfortunately, in a Lanarkshire scrapyard several years later.

I think the picture is taken in the shedyard itself, not across the main line from the shed. The shed offices and the repair shed were in a single building, which had a long smoke vent on the roof, as on the building appearing in the picture. The breakdown train had its own road, in front of the offices, and that van looks as if it could be part of a breakdown train. If you've got a copy of the volume of 'LMS Engine Sheds' that deals with the ex-GSWR sheds, the pictures and plan in that show what I mean. (The post for the yard lamp is in several pictures, too!)

Hi,

An excellent picture. I remember the 812's from my spotting days. 57577 was my favourite but it was a Hurlford loco when I knew it although I have a photograph of her at Dumfries. Attached is my model of her in S7 from a Meteor kit. Some modifications done but still a few faults.

Happy days.

Ian.

post-6089-0-71212000-1323981307_thumb.jpg

Guest stuartp

Doh ! Having checked "LMS Engine Sheds" again it is indeed exactly where pH and Jamie say. The lamp is rather prominent too, I've only owned that book since it was published and that's the first time I've noticed it. It's on the very early pics too so maybe it's not recycled after all ! Thank you gents.

That is rather nice Ian, and you remembered the boiler handrails which is more than I did ! This is the Caley Coaches kit, it will be 57600 when it gets to the top of the sorting out pile. At the moment it's still in EM gauge and carrying another Hurlford number from an earlier abandoned project. 57601 will have to wait until Jim Smellie brings out a 300 Class I can pinch the tender off.

post-270-0-99267100-1323985454.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

There were lamp standards like that in Dumfries goods yard as well, until replaced by modern equivalents. Maybe still in existance until about, maybe, 20 years ago?

I'm sure you'll know there is a colour pic of same engine (engine only) in "Scottish Stream in colour - 2", by Chris Gammell, published by IA.

Cheers,

26power

Archived