59th AND RUST ( NOW retired 2021)

I think it is primarily that there isn't an emphasis on 'exibition' for layouts, so the layouts that do get exhibited tend to be more of the modular variety (NTrak etc.). There also tend to be 'layout tours' where a number of permanent layouts in an area are opened to visitors on a specific day, so there isn't the incentive to make them portable, nor is there an incentive to make separate layouts with high quality scenery. Shows tend to be as much a forum for vendors as a place to display layouts.

I haven't seen many 'shunting plank' type North American layouts at shows, although there are a few.

Adrian

Thanks, Tim another one for my collection.......

The only place I don't recall seeing railways was Bogota, Colombia - but it may have just been me I was very zoned out when there and Rio was next on the itinerary.....Very frightening airport though!

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

The old Hong Kong airport was a bit like that with monutains , skyscrapers, a sharp turn past them (wave to the residents) then onto the run way inot the sea. Ok it had a longer runway but the planes were also bigger.

I loved landing there!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Some scary landings there chaps!!

Not been doing much modeling lately,with work commitments and helping Jon Grant at St Albans with Sweethome Alabama,i've had no spare time.

Did managed a couple of hours after tea (after fitting a new shower,got to get some brownie points for my next trip to help Jon at Glasgow) today and built a few dock plates for my loading dock areas.

post-13979-0-82807800-1358626850_thumb.jpg

Ray

• Like 4

Nick

I too like the Rutland box car,found it and another one (different number) in a box under a traders stand £5 the pair,both had Kadee couplers,one had kadee wheels sets in.

post-13979-0-09780200-1358700523_thumb.jpg

Said he had them for a couple of years ,hence in the box under the table,got 3 Walthers CP 60' wood pulp cars the same time all with kadee's and different numbers £10 the 3,these are in store for a future project.

love ratching around at swap meets and under tables you never know what you will find,sometimes nothing,sometimes you strike lucky.

Ray

• Like 3

My son just got back from the states bearing gifts (mainly sound decoders) of a couple of vehicles.

post-13979-0-91065500-1359028199_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-83285000-1359028212_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-41469400-1359028233_thumb.jpg

still need a couple more cars and a pickup truck, also a couple of semi's with trailers.

think shortliner can help me out there??

It's all starting to take shape now,just the rest of my freight cars to weather,fine tune the couplers and the odd little detail here and there.

i'm now ready for loads of running nights,no better way to find any operating problems,so i can fine tune magnet postions etc,looks like i need to get some beers (maybe a poly-pin might be better) in for when we start, it will be thirsty work.

Ray

• Like 2

That Ford C puts you in 1957 or later (I'm not up on the subtleties of the C series to date it any better than that). The NYC truck (White?) is from a few years earlier.

Of course, the GT boxcar is a little newer than either... (post 1961)

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle

still need a couple more cars and a pickup truck, also a couple of semi's with trailers.

think shortliner can help me out there??

Ray

Ray - remind me a couple of days before the Glasgow Friday, and I''ll look in the box and bring them with me = some I used for 149th street

Best

Jack

Edited by shortliner

In Omaha we have a Marklin modeler so he has a lot of German and Austrian engines.  But is several interconnected loops and not a switching layout.

At the same show were a couple micro layouts, 1 to 3 square feet, two conventional loop modular layouts, a Freemo layout and one portable N scale layout.

Part of it is that non-N American layouts tend to be tower or station focused, where N American layouts tend to be train crew focused.  As such there is the desire to move and to go somewhere that a shunty plank doesn't satisfy.

Since houses are larger here, more people build layouts in their house that are "permanent".  They sink the majority of their time, money and efforts into those, so don't spend time building a traveling layout.

Very little non-N American railroading is presented here, there is virtually nothing off-continent in most hobby shops (other than Thomas the Tank Engine) foreign magazines are very, very rare and relatively few people speak languages other than English or Spanish.  So there is a barrier to exposure.  About the only times we see European trains are in movies.

• 1 month later...

I hate closed minds (thinking of "Oh, it's only a whatever...)

You're not wrong about that. I encounter that attitude a lot at exhibitions here in Australia, often from blokes whom you would think would know better. OTOH, the club I belong to is very diverse in it's membership and modelling interests, which is a big part of it's appeal to someone like me.

I'm hoping that the interesting  lines in Syria survive....

Me too. I've been re-reading Tourret's book on the Hedjaz Railway after seeing some articles in recent issues of CRJ, it's a fascinating line. 

7622035144.jpg

Edited by dullsteamer
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...