59th AND RUST ( NOW retired 2021)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to tidying  my wiring up,and adding some frog juicers(replacing peco point motor switches),i've still the other board to do.

post-13979-0-92447100-1364122105.jpg

Added another road name to the layout,with the purchace of a NH RS1 at Nottingham exhibition.seen here switching stone empties.

post-13979-0-37245800-1364122409.jpg

With work and exhibitions (planning new layouts),there's not a lot of time left in a week to do all the small jobs that need finishing.but i'll get there,layouts first exhibition is at the one day  North Counties American Modellers meet at Hamptwhaite 7th July(south of Ripon),an all American show with layouts(15+) and trade support.

Ray

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

been rather busy at work, so not done much modeling time.I've decided to change one of the buildings on the front of the layout,it was making the end where the road crossing is look a bit cramped,the new one is smaller and called  ICU MIRROR CO..

Here's a few photo's

post-13979-0-16939600-1366800625.jpg

local passing by

post-13979-0-04495300-1366800643.jpg

the back yard area

post-13979-0-65635800-1366800654.jpg

old sign

post-13979-0-53752400-1366800666.jpg

guard dog barking at it's self!!!

post-13979-0-51502500-1366800683.jpg

watch where you walk!!!!

all the detailing is finnished on the layout,still got a lot of freight cars to weather,and another coat of black paint on the outside of the layout,then it's done!!

just need some more exhibition invites now!!!

Ray

• Like 8

Adrian wrote: "There are a number of British prototype layouts around here, but they usually only come out for very specific shows. Ours only comes out every two years for the Great British Train Show. I did see a modular layout at Timonium (nr. Baltimore, MD) that had a Hogwarts Station and Hogwarts Castle modules - that was the closest anything came to British outline there."

Adrian refers to my modules shown and discussed in their own RMWeb thread here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66780-made-by-magic-the-hp-railway/

OO Scale British rail has a home in Baltimore, MD with the Meade Area RailRoad Society (MARRS)

ndqyb9.jpg

overheadsmall_zps6f1c4d24.jpg

shipitsm_zps0f821341.jpg

Excellent work Ray; I admire your eye for detail and envy your talent.

-Cgraham.

Edited by cgraham

Thanks for all the kind remarks

All i need now is to work out how to get the smell and warm steam rising from the back yard,hold on i've had a thought maybe all the  "great un-washed" that go to exhibitions could stand at that end of the layout!!!

narr, there would be to many and all those rucksacks.

Ray

Thanks for all the kind remarks

All i need now is to work out how to get the smell and warm steam rising from the back yard,hold on i've had a thought maybe all the  "great un-washed" that go to exhibitions could stand at that end of the layout!!!

narr, there would be to many and all those rucksacks.

Ray

You mean there's that problem in the UK too? There's a prototype get-together in the US called Winterail (Stockton, CA) that has a well-earned reputation for just that!

Cheers Pete, do you want to be my publicity officer!!

It's out 3 times this year,2 or 3 definints for next and a few inquires for 2014/15

you find once a layout has been seen at a exhibition word gets around fast and the invites start coming in(thats what usually happens!!)

JWB,

think its a problem all over the world,must be a hard choice to make for some, weather to buy a bar of soap or not!!!!!!!.

the trouble is, with operating the layout from the front you can't get away from them,i usually make some excuse,so i can get round to the back of the layout (or better still tell my mate it's his turn to operate!!!!)

Ray

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I,ve been adding background sounds to the layout,got the speakers located in the layout roof, towards the front,pointing down, all run of a old sony disc player(for now).

Been playing around with the sound files,trying to get the right sound for a busy city,needed street hum,horns, emegancy vehicles etc for 59th st(which runs along the back of the layout)

Also sounds to fit in with the certain areas of the layout ie;dogs barking,hammering (fixing the fence) boxes being move(3 crowns),electric winch(team track) women laughing(ladies of the night).

Then there are other sounds,bird noise,train in the distance(subway),boat horns(on the nearby river) and other general sounds.

There's still a bit of fine tuning to do,and volume levels to sort out,its ok at home,but when you get in a exhibition environment i may have to turn the volume up,won't know that till we start in the morning,don't want to have it to loud,just loud enough,time will tell on this one.

I've recorded 16 minutes which will loop,here's a clip (4min,hope it plays)

59th clip.mp3

like i said, still a bit of fine tuning,but looking promising so far,and it adds to the ambience of the layout. 

Ray

• Like 3

Dear Ray,

The mix sounds very impressive, and covers a lot of elements. Nicely done!

(Do I hear a bed of FantaSonics soundtrack, maybe "Big City" http://www.fantasonics.com/store/newrelease18.html ???)
Unfortunately it does appear to be audibly clipping in some places, what are you using as your editing app?

Have you applied any imaging?

Can I also exhort you, Do Not "just turn it up" because you're at a show!
"Brooklyn : 3AM" features a HO warehouse rave party, gives _all_ the sonic impact and "thump in the chest" of overdriven Doof Doof subwoofers,

and yet does _not_ exceed an actual 60dB SPL @ 1m,
(where, in comparison, the average show layout crowd peaks at around 85 dB SPL).

There is NO justifiable reason for "...having to turn it up..." if the aim is to provide Scale sound support for the physical/visual scenes you've worked and slaved over to build to such a high-level of presentation. To turn-it-up is to deliberately make the sound Out-of-Scale, and therefore shoot yourself in the foot in terms of "best foot forward" overall layout presentation and impression.

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

Techsupport
www.fairlight.com.au

Dear Prof

All the sound clips are free downloads from various websites,the mixing was done in another free down load "Audacity",I what you mean about scale sound which is what i would prefer,but this all depends on the layout either side of me at the exhibition.

If its like the weekend just gone,where one layout at the other side of the isle from us had a siren going,which could be heard all over the building, far to loud,this spoiled other peoples layouts with the correct level of volume,this seems to becoming a problem at exhibition,with everyone fighting to be heard, so they all start turning there volumes up,then it just becomes a din. 

Like i said about my sounds still a bit of fine tuning to do,but thanks for your imput.

Ray

• RMweb Gold

Ray 

i know what you mean. I remember doing a show some years back where we had some Uk steam sounds with another two layouts opposite with louder sounds so we were drowned out.

Luckily the newer decoders are louder so we can now compete, but if every one has things at a sensible level so just the people watching can hear the sounds then it works.

Although its not easy to keep altering the sound levels in mobile decoders to suit each venues ambient sound levels.

I do my best to remind our operators to keep bell usage to a minimum on 'Roundhouse' and most of the bell CV sound levels have been turned down anyway.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

Dear Ray, Ian,

Ian, respectfully, it sounds more like you're sizing up for an allcomers dB Drag Racing event than a model railway exhibition...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DB_drag_racing

:-( :-( :-(

If the presentation of high-quality Scale Modelling is one's aim, then turning it (IE the sonic "supporting actors") up (IE waaaaaay out of scale) "just to compete" is to wilfully and deliberately sabotage one's own Scale Modelling efforts....

...and that just doesn't seem logical...

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

PS ...even dB Drag racers have rules

http://www.termpro.com/dbdrag/rules/2013/rules.asp?Org_ID=1&Format_ID=1

PPS The Louvre doesn't light the Mona Lisa with Neon and Lasershow, because "bright lights get the attention of the punters and draw them to see the art", Indeed such "competing" (for attention) techniques arguably seriously degrades the presentation and impact of what is otherwise highly-regarded display content...

Edited by Prof Klyzlr

With sound becoming so popular,(it's on most layouts in some sort of form) everyone's fighting for the same air space,from my experience 0 gauge seems the worst,they can get bigger and better speakers in,which they think gives them a licence to turn them way up.

I prefer the sound at the right level's,i'm going to have mine set so you can hear it at 2 feet from the layout(operating space between layout and barriers) if i can't hear it at that distance for some over loud layout, i have 3 option to run silent,or ask them to turn there sound down,(which will probable fall on deaf ears) or ask for quiet corner.

Since the layout hasn't be out yet i won't know till it happens,and i may find it's better to do with out sound all together(that will save me some money) at the end of the day i hope the punters are coming to look at the layout,(which i'm sure there will be enough to interest them) not just to hear the sounds!!!!

Time will tell

Ray

• 1 month later...

Right Nick

First thing after the ballast(which didn't go to the top of the sleepers) had set,was to float 50/50 PVA in between the tracks(where i needed grass),then i wiped down the middle with a cloth,next i sprinkled different coloured WS fine turf and left this to dry,while this was drying i added PVA to the areas on the outside of the tracks and applied strips of basket liner,let all this set for a couple of days.

Next job was, when set to pull the top of the basket liner off,this left long stringy lengths of grass which i trimed to length,then in between the track i added neat PVA,but only between the sleepers(except for the small siding, see photo) and added different coloured WS coarse turf, also the same WS turf randomly among the basket liner,let dry.

last was to spray hairspray(non-purfumed) all over and build up with WS fine turf to add depth,when this had set,i added some small bushes and some longer grass between selective sleepers using Heki grass mat cut to the sleeper gap width and fixed with PVA.

Left this for a few days,then cleaned the track,and hoovered all the track,stuck down/touched up where needed,then added trash etc.

post-13979-0-55053700-1372528619_thumb.jpg

Not saying this is the best way,but it worked for me,bit of trial and error.

Hope this helps,there's no copywright,so bash on :O  :no:  :no:  :sungum:

Ray

• Like 3