59th AND RUST ( NOW retired 2021)

Had a great weekend, Terry, lots of interest in the layout, Saturday was busy,2 deep at times!!!

Ray

Hi Ray so glad to hear you had a good show,it was poor health prevented me coming down unfortunately,too long a drive in my current state .I will try another time to see your layout.Will keep a eye out.

Terry

For those who didn't get there, and who'd like to see a short piece on 59th & Rust at Macclesfield, see

(second item in!)

EDIT - I seem to have lost a finger somewhere along the line - make that THIRD item in!!!

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

Well, Alley pally this weekend will be the last show of the year for the layout, here's the loco's i'm taking, they all ran well last week at Macclesfield so the deserved another run out.

post-13979-0-55028400-1521407717_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-83917200-1521407877_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-30023900-1521408012_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-25487700-1521408182_thumb.jpg

I've one confirmed exhibition ,one possible and one maybe next year, a couple more would be nice but in the lap of the gods for that!.

See you at Alley pally.

Ray

Edited by long island jack
  • Like 10

Good to see the layout for the 1st time yesterday, I love the atmosphere it creates and really impressed with the weathering and all the junk laying around the place. Thanks to the guy operating at the time for chatting and explaining a few bits. Really enjoyed it.

Steve.

I may have been the gent you were talking to(bald head ginger/grey beard) I talked to that many people over the weekend, layout was really popular 2/3 deep most weekend, I received 6-7 invites but had to decline most due to distance(6 hours+) and being a one day shows, there maybe a couple in the offing. 

Layout performed well, no major issues, just the usual, trying to talk and switch at the same time!!

layout back on it's shelf, out of the way, End of the spur getting ready for York

Ray

• Like 2

Afraid is wasn't you I chatted to as the operator mentioned you by name and said you were elsewhere. Glad you had a good weekend and once again well done on a fine layout :-) 

Steve.

Ray,

I am so late reading this thread of your marvellous layout and its structures. I am interested in the method used for the building fronts as I see you create a shell from MDF. How thick is the card you use, the method for cutting out each window and making sure they all look the same and lastly the source for the brick papers?. Oh how did create the moulding around the top/roof of each building/roof.

Sorry for so many questions but I need to build a few structures to fit the space on my new layout.

Regards

Johna

Hi Johna

Building fronts are made from 2mm poster board

Windows openings were all draw on to the card and cut out with a sharp knife and steel ruler

Brick paper is by Super quick

Building mouldings are made of 1-2mm card, then thin card was cut using craft scissors, which come with different shaped cutting edge, draw a line on your card and cut along it, simple!!

post-13979-0-66296800-1522307243.jpg

Glad you like the layout, any more questions ask away.

Ray

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see some more pics Ray, inspirational..might just have to revisit Bodge City after a l-o-n-g time gathering dust.

What with this thread and Jon posting photos of Sweethome Chicago on facebook again, no excuses for lost mojo anymore!

• Like 2

PhilH,

Got Jon out of retirement at the weekend ,he's coming to help out one day at York, will keep pushing him in the right direction we could do with either of the Sweethomes back out on the exhibition circuit again!!!!

Ray

Good news and a 'like', 'agree' and 'thanks' for your post. Nice to see Jon posting on FB and I'm sure I spotted him at Perth Green buying some kadees, so there hope for his return from retirement. 

• Like 1

Good news and a 'like', 'agree' and 'thanks' for your post. Nice to see Jon posting on FB and I'm sure I spotted him at Perth Green buying some kadees, so there hope for his return from retirement. 

i'm slowly working on him, he's planning a British layout based around a dock, using j94's

• Like 1

Nice to see some more pics Ray, inspirational..might just have to revisit Bodge City after a l-o-n-g time gathering dust.

Bodge City..??!!?? :rolleyes: :D :D :D

That's terrible!!! :no: but with a pun name as bad as that, it deserves to be built/finished!! :good:

• Like 1

Hi Johna

Building fronts are made from 2mm poster board

Windows openings were all draw on to the card and cut out with a sharp knife and steel ruler

Brick paper is by Super quick

Building mouldings are made of 1-2mm card, then thin card was cut using craft scissors, which come with different shaped cutting edge, draw a line on your card and cut along it, simple!!

aa1.JPG

Glad you like the layout, any more questions ask away.

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you all know I've just had confirmation that 59th and Rust will be in Model railroader, not sure what month, will let you know when I know.

Fully deserved Ray.

Just one thing -  does this mean that the rodents apparently infesting your yard will need further weathering, in order to turn them into 'doity rats' for the US audience?   :yes:

Steve N

Fully deserved Ray.

Just one thing -  does this mean that the rodents apparently infesting your yard will need further weathering, in order to turn them into 'doity rats' for the US audience?   :yes:

Steve N

The cat population has increased, haven't seen any rats in weeks!!!!

• Like 1