First Attempt at Handbuilt Track - A complete novice’s experience.

tender

4 hours ago, hayfield said:

Yes they have their places, but you are limited to the sizes available, and many prefer to see the ballast between the rails. Each to their own

proto-88-safe.jpg.3ad88fdddee4f27a83c4ac4067f2b4c6.jpg      1279472375_smstylefrog300w.jpg.67215a65781ab6f916d9d060bb14f1cd.jpg

The type of crossing modelled depends entirely on which prototype used what sort of spacer blocks.  In my case the prototypes I've copied have long spacing blocks. Bill Bedford's example version copied all the gaps between the chairs for a typical UK bullhead crossing. 

There is no limit in my case except for what I'm inclined to draw and run through the 3D printing process. 

eg.

Currently crossings I've already made up include:

#4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 10 and 12, in P87, Bent rail

#5, 6, 7, 8, 9 10 and 12,  in P87, Cast Manganese Insert

#4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10  in HO, Bent rail

#5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 in HO, Cast Manganese Insert

#6 Self Guarded in both P87 and HO

#4  and 6 K frogs  in P87 and HO

#4, 5 and 6, 6.5 ",  8" and 10" radius and multi matching diamonds for P87, P4 and HO inset track

#4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10  in N, Bent rail

#4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10  in Z, Bent rail

Nearly the above can be constructed in any of code 40, 55, 70 and 83 in FB and the bent rail HO version in code 70 BH  (75 with a shim).

The HO versions can be used for 00 and the P:87 versions are P4 compatible. Most of the P87 versions can be used  as inset track too. And the range is still far from complete. I'm working on adding more useful items every month or so.  

The wide range and other scales are because they fell out of the volunteer design and manufacturing work I put in to support the Proto:87 SIG. Since they are primarily for the SIG membership , they are priced only little above the cost of producing them for the SIG stores.

The Proto:87 Stores is not intended as commercial profit generating enterprise. But it's purpose is to provide proto-scale hand built track kits and parts that anyone can make regardless of skill level and to spread that news to whoever wants to take advantage of it..  To do that successfully, I had use my engineering expertise to go beyond the methods of the 1960's and made everything simpler, mostly cheaper and pretty much foolproof and highly reliable. 

For example, Templot is a remarkably clever program, but it stops at the very beginning of the hand built track process. It's output is just printed paper. All the major work and the build final accuracy is left entirely to the reader. OTOH The Stores produces almost all the parts and tools needed to go from just the idea, and need, even without a picture, to the fully assembled and working result, without necessarily going through the potential mistakes, and/or limited accuracy of mainly hand craftsmanship measuring,  bending, filing and fettling work, that is still the virtually unchanged methodology of the 1960's.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Despite what you say, the majority of handbuilt model trackwork in the UK is still in bullhead. Peco have recently introduced a new bullhead range in 00 -- they know their market.

The only picture of your bullhead crossings I can find on your web site is this one: 

frog-4mm-300-300.jpg
linked from http://www.proto87.com

They would be great, in fact I think you would sell a lot of them. I don't mind the solid infill instead of separate spacer blocks, although it would look a lot better if it stopped short of the end of the wing rails.

But the main objection to me, which looks just so very wrong, is the big infill you put in the back of the splice, as found on cast crossings. It just shouldn't be there on bolted bullhead crossings -- cast crossings are very rare in bullhead:

vee_splice1.jpg.e6250fa5c4a0daf4385bb9fd01b178c5.jpg

Notice also of course the blunt nose, despite your constant objection to it. This is a GWR crossing, so the blunt nose is 11/16" wide. Notice too the prominent holding-down screw immediately in front of it. Later designs did away with that by having much longer spacer blocks, almost a full infill.

vee_splice2.jpg.20cbed58b99ce26285ac6973d3a63ed9.jpg

The slab & bracket "A" chairs are also very distinctive.

cheers,

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Part of my first attempt and hand built track.  I've built turnouts before but always from kits with preformed Vs and switch blades but this is the first time I've done it all myself using Exactoscale chairs and ply sleepers.  It's far from perfect but stuff runs through without falling off...

IMG_2011.jpeg

Edited by johndon
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 1 month later...