Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The MREmag & RMweb Wishlist Poll – 2012

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Hello Richard

I'm sure you're right about model shops looking at the results. The LSWR 'Gate Stock' was high in the poll and has subsequently been announced by Kernow. The LMS Beyer-Garratt has been announced by Hattons.

Regards

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team)

A few things.

1: Is there somewhere for "suggestions for future years ? E.G. I would like either Dapol or Hornby/Grafar to do a "009" loco.

2: From a previous answer given above it looks as if I will be going through the Southern Region section ticking almost anything just on the hope that my particular loco/EMU is part of the greater whole. (E.G. I would prefer a 2-HAl, whereas many here SEEMINGLY want a 2-BIL - but I will be ticking both and be grateful if either are produced). If that is the way to do it then fine.

3: I doubt if the poll will get rid of all "cheats". Yes multiple votes from the same IP address will probably be blocked, but anyone with a separate business computer, or helpful friends or relatives will be able to vote from those computers as long as they make minor changes.

Still I hope everyone votes for a 2-HAL, 4-COR and S-15 (ha !)

1. There will be a section to make suggestions for future polls.

2. Vote for what you would commit to buying if produced.

3. Why must people seek ways to try and get around something? Is self-interest that strong that someone wishes to impact upon people who use something appropriately which has been freely provided? We'll do what we can to make sure everything's as fair as it can be. It's not as though something that tops a poll will be 'a winner' and be produced; commercial decisions then have to be made by manufacturers.

Guest dilbert

A few things.

1: Is there somewhere for "suggestions for future years ? E.G. I would like either Dapol or Hornby/Grafar to do a "009" loco.

<snip>

3: I doubt if the poll will get rid of all "cheats". Yes multiple votes from the same IP address will probably be blocked, but anyone with a separate business computer, or helpful friends or relatives will be able to vote from those computers as long as they make minor changes.

Suggestions for future years is great, but I wouldn't nominate a specific manufacturer

If you want to cheat, then do so, what you'll find in 2-3 years time is that the poll will become irrelevant as sales will be under what was originally requested. In any case the manufacturers will use this as a balance to other data gathering activitues they do - they will spot the differences and that could potentially harm a specific interest area(s) due to lack of consistency... dilbert

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Phil, Andy and Dilbert

The 2BIL topped the EMU section in 2009, 2010 and 2011. The 2HAL was 17th in 2009; 10th in 2010; and 15th in 2011.

The Team will be contacting all UK modelling magazines with Press Releases. Furthermore, all retailers and clubs will be sent A4/A5 posters. The aim of all this is to get the maximum number of voters.

As Andy says, there will be a section for 'suggested future inclusions'. Note the word 'suggested'. These will be thoroughly analysed by The Team, but we offer no guarantee that a suggestion will actually go in. Rest assured that the nine of us will give the matter due consideration. We always base decisions on 'balance of evidence' and never 'I'm a GWR expert and insist this item goes in'.

Dilbert is right that manufacturers will take the results as only part of their overall information gathering. In fact, that aspect has been written in to certain Press Releases that are going to certain magazines. However, as I noted in an earlier posting, it is fairly evident that high scoring items are actually getting made (as well as some lower down).

The Team has worked long and hard to give you a really great set of selections - just enjoy the voting!!

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Hello Phil

Just re-reading your earlier posting, I noticed that I didn't give you the figures for the 4COR or S15.

In 2011, the 4COR was 4th in the EMU section and the S15 was 5th in the SR Steam Loco section.

I noticed this is today's (Monday) MREMag, and found it interesting and hope it is o.k. to re-post :-

"On Friday, Pat mentioned that there are not many D&E types left to make and that is perfectly correct. In the forthcoming Wishlist Poll, we will be showing the following (subject to any deletions due to announcements before we go live).

17 Gas Turbines/Diesel locos

47 Railcars/DMUs

16 Electric Locos

76 EMUs

It is a matter of debate as to whether some of those listed would actually ever be made. However, if you take a rough average of, say, two items in each category being made per year, it gives:

8.5 years to complete Gas Turbines/Diesel Locos

23.5 years for Railcars/DMUs

8 years for Electric Locos

38 years for EMUs

Brian Macdermott

(on behalf of The Poll Team) "

• RMweb Gold

Do you have good connections with your local model railway shop? Do you actually own or work in one? Do you belong to a model railway club? Or are you situated in the USA or Canada?

If the answer is yes to any of these, The Poll Team would like to hear from you.

We already have a list of shops, clubs and magazines to which we would like to send Information Sheets or Press Releases, but some don’t have email addresses. We need as many outlets as we can muster if we are to attract the highest number of voters.

Although we have very good connections with various Australian locations via a team member and an MREmag contributor, we would welcome a few more.

Email is a convenient method of communication, but it lacks 'the personal touch'. We need volunteers to take A5-size ‘mini-posters’ into their local shops or clubs probably in March (although we make it clear that these should only be put up with permission).

If you feel you can help, please get in touch as below (please do not reply here on RMweb).

Please put ‘Poll’ as the subject and email: ThePollTeam (at) gmail (dot) com

This confuses me.

Are you trying to encourage American voters to vote for what in most cases are likely to be American / Canadian subjects ?

Does this have the effect of weakening the UK vote, whilst introducing a a far wider choice of subjects to consider.

Me no understandee

• RMweb Gold

Hello Phil

The Poll only details UK stock.

The appeal was aimed at shops and clubs which either sell or model the UK scene and the response has been great, with many expressing strong enthusiasm.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Dear All

I’m pleased to be able to say that the MREmag & RMweb Wishlist Poll 2012 will ‘go live’ on Monday 19 March and run until Sunday 15 April. This may sound a tad premature to announce it already, but I wanted to let you know here (and on MREmag) before the announcement starts appearing in magazines.

Regards

Guest dilbert

Brian (as representant of The Poll Team),

As the poll this year has more of a 'proportional representation approach' and given the extensive work that has been done to recategorise the elements, I was wondering how mapping of the voting has historically worked out in relation to items appearing either in a manufacturer portfolio or via a commissioned route (I don't have the historical data to hand otherwise in idle commute moments etc... I would have done my own analysis).

If this hasn't been done or isn't readily available, then it is no problem as I'm not looking to make extra work for you..

My thinking was that it would be a good foundation to set expectations prior to the poll 1) on potentially how long it takes for a voted product to be announced/released & 2) that 'perceived' minority interests are have been addressed (e.g., the City of Truro as commissioned by the NRM). I expect there are probably strange twists that arise as well which have no apparent logical reasoning... dilbert

• RMweb Gold

Hello again, Dilbert

I hope this goes some way to answering your query. It should be borne in mind that the emphasis on voting (with only 10 votes per voter) tended to focus on locos. I use the term 'high polling' below relative to that.

Over the past three years, the following have been 'high polling' and have been made or announced.

Bachmann:

ROD, 90xx, SECR C, 3F, 7F, Blue Pullman, Derby Lightweight, Porthole stock, Stanier stock (N), Mk1 TPO, Mk1 Sleeper, Pillbox, LNER vans, Nuclear Flask (plus various buildings in Scenecraft).

Dapol:

Class 21/29, OHLE.

Hattons:

Beyer-Garratt, LMS Twins, Class 28.

Heljan:

Class 23, Lion, DP2.

Hornby:

28xx, 42xx, 52xx, 72xx, B17, Class 67, Brighton Belle, Hawksworths, Gresleys, Maunsells, PP-sets, GWR Horsebox, Van B (plus various buildings in Skaledale).

Kernow:

O2, Beattie Well Tank, 10201/2/3, Gate Stock.

NRM:

MR Compound, City of Truro.

Olivia's Trains:

Class 76

TMC:

Mk1 Horsebox.

Another way of looking at the relative popularity of steam locos over the years is to go to www.mremag.com, look at the left-hand panel under Features, and click the link to 'Articles'. This brings up the MREmag Loco Database (compiled by Dennis Lovett wearing 'a modeller's hat' as opposed to in his professional capacity at Bachmann).

You will soon see a correlation between those locos which have plenty of kit/rtr versions made over the years and those which have been made; are planned to be made; or have been 'high polling'.

The only announced steam loco that has 'bucked the trend' (that I can see) is the Hornby O1. Last year, that scored 16 votes. To put that in context, the highest LNER was the J15 with 82. Some diesels/electrics have been made/announced which haven't 'polled high' (eg D6xx and Class 77).

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Hello Stationmaster

I hope the following will give a feel for what you are after (00 only given). Please only take it as representative - the data is rather like measuring shifting sand (only 10 votes per voter; how item was described; how many voters in each year; in which category an item was listed etc). The figures are 2009-2010-2011. I'm sorry that they look a bit like 'vital statistics'!! Notice that the number of voters has gone down - a trend that we hope to reverse in 2012.

2009 = 1154 voters; 2010 = 989 voters; 2011 = 950 voters

Duke (71000): 56-43-71

Mk2 stock: 38-23-37

47xx: 49-36-42

Star: 47-49-50

Toplights: 68-58-66

B'ton Atlantic: 92-84-81

700 Class: 51-60-59

Birdcage sets: 52-46-58

Stanier Mogul: 43-34-28

Stanier Subs: 54-29-35

D11 Director: 164-128-81

J6: 160-143-70

J15: 74-68-82

J27: 91-73-50

J50: 63-58-44

P2: 77-110-66

Quad/Quint Arts: 35-31-38

Class 120: 53-32-42

Class 124: 32-23-33

Class 401 2BIL: 32-34-31

Signals: 67-48-53

Regards

I wasnt aware that I was giving him my email address to use in that way. I also seem to be unable to unsubscribe from the front page of the poll as he suggests in his email without filling in some poll selections! Most mailshots usually have a link in the email to click which automatically unsubscribes you.

He most certainly has and kept a backlog of email addresses over the years - .................. this approach is similar to spamming,

Perhaps I could ask anyone as a previous participant if the statutory requirement to give a participant the option of opting in to (or out of) a database to be held for future mail/marketing purposes was ever offered?

The current page states:

Personal information gathered will only be used for the purposes of administering your vote.

If previous versions only had this information any usage of participants email addresses appears to fall outside the Australian Government's Spam Act 2003 - http://www.acma.gov....RD/pc=PC_310294

It is possible to report spam to them according to this page - http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_310369

• RMweb Gold

I am not really a wish-lister or frother to any extent, and wasn't aware that I had ever participated in this sort of thing. I think I had a look a couple of years ago, decided it wasn't for me, and failed to submit - yet I was emailed direct this morning. Some address-harvesting taking place somewhere. They are now in my junk list.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Stationmaster

I hope the following will give a feel for what you are after (00 only given). Please only take it as representative - the data is rather like measuring shifting sand (only 10 votes per voter; how item was described; how many voters in each year; in which category an item was listed etc). The figures are 2009-2010-2011. I'm sorry that they look a bit like 'vital statistics'!! Notice that the number of voters has gone down - a trend that we hope to reverse in 2012.

Regards

Many thanks for that Brian - very illuminating reading and some not unexpected subjects!

Archived