Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The MREmag & RMweb Wishlist Poll – 2012

Andy Y

I'm reminded of the Monty Python sketch:

- What happens if you don't like spam?

- Don't like spam!

The argument that it's OK to spam for non-commercial purposes is a bit shaky.

As for the poll itself:

Haven't they realised that 2mm scale and N aren't the same thing? Or are they expecting the 2mm finescale brigade to abandon their watchmaker's lathes and start wishlisting ;)

Guest dilbert

Since when does the hobby need Guardian Protectors ? It will always need mentors and these offer Guiding Principles (a general observation)... dilbert

I've just responded and asked for my details to be removed from his data base and had a reply that this has been done. I suggest anyone else feeling the same follows suite.

Happy deletings people

Pete.

Sadly I also got told it'd been done 2 weeks ago after the first spam and then that long diatribe turned up yesterday...

Thankfully this time around he used a bcc instead of spamming everyone with a cc like last time so that everyone in his mailshot got to see all of the email addresses!

I'll put him back in my spam filer once/if he confirms he had actually removed my email addresses this time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A quick posting just to ask if the recent Warners deal for RMweb will have any effect on the operation of the Wishlist poll? I seem to remember in previous years that Model Rail were linked up with it so wondered if the BRM element might affect things.

• RMweb Gold

There is support, if not sponsorship, from several other publishing houses.

Hello SR Man

The Poll Team is neither commercially sponsored nor remunerated. We were very clear when contacting magazines that we define the word 'support' as the publication of our press release and/or the publication of the results.

Brian Macdermott (on behalf of The Poll Team)

Also feeling the comfort of stanley knife blades after scrolling through pages of crap.

Two seperate entries - grain hopper and 21T grain hopper, and carflat and FVX motorail carflat.

What a pointless exercise if multiple choices of the same are pollable ? And that was only two I noticed before boredom set in.

There was one thing which made me smile - I just saw the Sealink ferries mentioned and thought that someone is definately extracting the urine from the Plowmans !!!

Also feeling the comfort of stanley knife blades after scrolling through pages of crap.

Two seperate entries - grain hopper and 21T grain hopper, and carflat and FVX motorail carflat.

What a pointless exercise if multiple choices of the same are pollable ? And that was only two I noticed before boredom set in.

There was one thing which made me smile - I just saw the Sealink ferries mentioned and thought that someone is definately extracting the urine from the Plowmans !!!

Not to mention the 3 seperate entries for BR horseboxes, the same table reproduced for both BR NPCSS and passenger carrying stock (I really don't want to travel in a CCT thanks!), two names for the same set of wheel standards , and another entry for the US standard it clones...

..................and two entries for the Stanier Mogul, at 5th and 8th, in the LMS steam section. If the votes can be considered as separate then the totals take it way out in front as the most desired, 40 as opposed to the current leader on 26.

I just hope the RMweb/MREmag poll is summarised better than the Australian offering. I don't want to read endless pages of self justifying stuff when all I want to see is a simple list. I've looked at it and gave up.

Just had a quick look and I think it said 1006 people voted ,does anyone know how this compares with earlier polls also how misleading could the intend to buy column be. The class 86 attracted 18 bids but over 80 would be sold, thats over 4 per person. I know if a new 86 was released I would like to buy each varient but could probably realistically buy only 1 or 2. So which figure do I put in the column the 1 or 2 I know I could afford or the 6 I would like to buy and has everyone else voted 'my way'!

mark

Taking a little trip down memory lane, the top 11 polled GWR locomotives from the 2009 00 poll were:

GWR 3440 4-4-0 City of Truro .............done by Bachmann Branch Lines

GWR 42xx 2-8-0T .................................planned by Hornby

GWR 28xx 2-8-0 ...................................redone by Hornby

GWR 72xx 2-8-2T .................................planned by Hornby

GWR 47xx 2-8-0

GWR 40xx 4-6-0 Star

GWR 90xx 4-4-0 Earl No 9000-9028 .....planned by Bachmann Branch Lines

GWR 33xx 4-4-0 Bulldog

GWR 29xx 4-6-0 Saint

GWR 90xx 4-4-0 Duke No 9054-9091

GWR 30xx 2-8-0 Robinson GC ROD ......done by Bachmann Branch Lines

Of the remaining list, the Star features prominently and was the top GWR pick in the 2012 poll. I anticipate a similar result with the upcoming MREmag and RMweb poll.

• RMweb Gold

Taking a little trip down memory lane, the top 11 polled GWR locomotives from the 2009 00 poll were:

GWR 3440 4-4-0 City of Truro .............done by Bachmann Branch Lines

GWR 42xx 2-8-0T .................................planned by Hornby

GWR 28xx 2-8-0 ...................................redone by Hornby

GWR 72xx 2-8-2T .................................planned by Hornby

GWR 47xx 2-8-0

GWR 40xx 4-6-0 Star

GWR 90xx 4-4-0 Earl No 9000-9028 .....planned by Bachmann Branch Lines

GWR 33xx 4-4-0 Bulldog

GWR 29xx 4-6-0 Saint

GWR 90xx 4-4-0 Duke No 9054-9091

GWR 30xx 2-8-0 Robinson GC ROD ......done by Bachmann Branch Lines

Of the remaining list, the Star features prominently and was the top GWR pick in the 2012 poll. I anticipate a similar result with the upcoming MREmag and RMweb poll.

But alas, as usual, their poll forever fell down in terms of grouping basically similar locos - thus the 54XX/64XX/74XX have cionsistently been counted separately whereas in manufacturing terms there are relatively minor differences (certainly more minor than, say, the differences within the 72XX or 5205 classes) and even worse they seem to continue to stick with regarding the 94XX and 84XX as separate classes when the biggest difference in likely to be the shape of the builder's plate on the different bartches. But at the same time they lump the D11s together and in production terms I would think the difference between a D11/1 and a D11/2 is rather more than that between a 54XX and a 64XX.

The consequence is that results could well have been skewed and any attempt to draw attention to these short of shortcomings are shouted down - before or after the poll and sometimes with the one contradicting the other. I have for sometime been rather sceptical of some of the results in this poll apart from the fact that sometimes the outcome has clearly been influenced by canvassing - which could well give misleading results when relatively small numbers of respondents are involved.

I am confident that this year's MREMag/RMweb poll is going to avoid this sort of thing by firstly realistically grouping classes which are basically similar and secondly by hopefully accessing a very much larger sample. Nothing can be done about canvassing except recognising that it has taken place and bearing that in mind when looking at the results. (BTW I don't condemn canvassing in the slightest and I expect it has sometimes worked to positive advantage for manufacturers as well as those 'plugging' their favoured locos/stock etc.)

• RMweb Premium

This thread is The MREmag & RMweb Wishlist Poll topic, please start another topic for any different poll now as it looks like it'll be taking it too far off course.

I for one are looking forward to the start of the MREmag & RMweb wishlist and feel confident that my votes will count and the manufacturers will be watching!

Voting starts Monday(?) - is that right Andy? - thanks very much, looking forward to it.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Neal and Andy

Readers may like to have a look here late tomorrow afternoon (Sunday 18 March) when I will be posting a 'Questions & Answers' page about The Poll. Andy has OK'd this and Pat Hammond will be publishing it on Monday morning on MREmag.

Brian Macdermott (on behalf of The Poll Team)

1. .

I am not interested in "the other poll" - however a post above does bring up a perennial problem :

" ....... If you added the total of the Urie and Maunsell S15s together they would lead the field by a huge margin ......"

Irrespective of the locos/rolling stock involved in such clashes these cases where very similar classes/diagrams can be votes for make analysis difficult. How many modellers only voted for one type and how many voted for both. IF the majority were single votes then that makes the S-15 of either variety something to be looked at seriously, if they are merely duplicates then their positions are merely ordinary.

Good luck to the "proper" poll in sorting out the analysis of that sort of problem.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Phil

I can confirm that The MREmag & RMweb Wishlist Poll will show:

4-6-0 LSWR/SR S15 (30496-30515, 30823-30847)

Traditionally, locos are normally shown as (eg) LSWR/SR S15 4-6-0 - ie with the wheel arrangement last. We have listed all steam locos with the wheel arrangement first - in order smallest to largest. When you see the list, it is very easy to follow.

Regards

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team)

Archived