York MRS 2012 (Includes Mike Cook tributes)

john new

• RMweb Gold

It is with the deepest sadness that we have to report that our long time Show Manager, and the founder of the York Model Railway Show, Mike Cook, passed away peacefully in his sleep last night. The condolences of all involved with the York MRS organisation go out to all his family and close friends, Mike will be deeply missed by all who knew him both in the model railway community and within the many other activities he had been a part of over his lifetime.

With regard to the 2012 Show all arrangements are well in hand and the Show will proceed as planned. We hope you attend next year's 50th event which will now be even more of a tribute to Mike Cook's great input to our hobby over his lifetime.

So long Mike, you were a good friend to me and many, you will be greatly missed. RIP. John New. Webmaster

A temporary change for any emails related to the Show has been added to the YMRS contacts page.

Sympathies to all family and friends.

Only a couple of weeks since my last communication with 'the Headmaster' seemed he was looking forward to next years milestone event, so sad he didn't make it...

Paul

To me personaly one of the saddest losses to railway modelling in my time, and really bad news particularly at this time of year. Mike did so much to bring the hobby to the masses in putting on a show in a major tourist location which, especially in the days of the Assembly Rooms / de Gray Rooms used to bring all sorts in. I hope the York show lives on in his memory, it would be the most fitting tribute to a legend in his own lifetime.

My deepest condolences to all family and friends, and also on behalf of the Manchester Model Railway Society as Chairman.

A very sad loss to the hobby. Mike will be greatly missed at York each Easter.

On a practical note, Mike had already completed a lot of the initial organisation for the 2012 Show and it will go ahead as planned.

For the moment any queries regarding the 2012 York Model Railway Show should be addressed to myself.

yorkshow@malscrimshaw.karoo.co.uk

Mal

• RMweb Premium

A great loss to the world of model railways and he will greatly missed by me.

I found him a inspiration of how to run a successfully model railway exhibition

RIP Mike

Terry Robinson on behalf all at Stafford Railway Circle

• RMweb Premium

I've speculated elsewhere that as the organisation of the York Show will by now be in place we can credit Mike with making the half century. Certainly when Easter comes around I'll be carrying that thought with me. Though it's a sad day, I am buoyed up by many happy (some hilarious) memories of the times spent in his company.

A sad loss, but as Mike himself said the York Show is 'the Show that never ends'. Hopefully we will see many of his friends at York at Easter, and at subsequent York Model Railway Shows.

I will always remember Mike for the good times

Peter

Although I was only priveliged enough to know him for a dozen or more years, I was grateful for his support and advice on his many trips to North Wales, and kindness to invite me and my wife to be part of the Show crowd. He will be sorely missed-a sad time indeed.

A very sad loss for the Hobby - York show is a highlight of the year for me, a show I've been to since I was about three/four. My Dad and I always attend.

One of his layouts is a favourite of mine - Sinnington. A layout to show GWR modellers how a branchline should look!

A sad loss to the hobby.

I can remember chatting to Mike over 30 years ago (I think!) at Sophia Gardens in Cardiff, he was there with Totness/Ashburton and took the time to explain to me how he made his trees.

That I can remember it, speaks volumes for the man.

Enjoy that big trainset in the sky.

RIP

Archived