York MRS 2012 (Includes Mike Cook tributes)

john new

Although I never knew Mike personally, it is Very sad to learn of the passing of the major organiser of the York Show: especially so at this time of year. Our thoughts are with his family at this time.

I'm sure his legacy will be very evident at the 2012 event and everyone will pull together to make it a splendid tribute to him and his skills.

From all at Burgess HIll MRC

Sad to hear the death of another railway modelling legend. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Mike was a true railway modeller, who got on with his modelling and actually completed layouts (as if any layout can be considered as finished).

An inspiration to those of us who just scratch around and never finish anything worthwhile.

I imagine Mike is now sitting by the sea-wall in the sky watching a procession of Kings, Castles, Counties, Halls, Granges..... pass by in the summer sunshine.

• RMweb Gold

RIP Mike - he always had a kind word for the silly little girl playing with her Dad's trains; even when the silly girl became a silly young woman. I knew Mike my whole life, though didn't see him too often as I got older and moved away, but he always said he remembered sitting with me on his lap watching Button Moon and being grateful for the excuse to watch silly kids TV. A good and kind man; he will be sorely missed.

Now the whole world is your train set Mike - enjoy!

Eleanor Grady (posting on dad's login)

• Administrators

Very sad news. We will be bringing Flockburgh to York next year and were really proud to have been asked to the 50th Show. York is a stand-out show in the calendar - as my Dad always said, "If we could only do one show a year, I'd like to do York."

Mike has left a heck of a legacy.

Like many others, the York show was my first taste of exhibitions outside of my home town. I might even have gone even before I joined Hull MRS, to be amazed by layouts like Yatton Junction and Gainsborough (predecessor to High Dyke). RIP Mike, next year's show will indeed be a bit special.

..... I imagine Mike is now sitting by the sea-wall in the sky watching a procession of Kings, Castles, Counties, Halls, Granges..... pass by in the summer sunshine.

.... and playing his accordion.

Memory fades but was it the Brown Cow a few years ago, and long before that the xyz, were Mike led some wonderful evenings based around folk music and rugby song sessions over the Easter weekend long ago?

The North Gwent Modellers and Cardiff Club lads would know (OK, yes, local lads would know too, but that wasn't my social circle).

Back in the early 70's Mike managed to make York one of the four major shows, York, Manchester, Bristol and London

(but which London Exhibition, I can't recall), I certainly remember Mike's layouts at White Ladies Road in Bristol, and the foray up to York at Easter that I made from Somerset/Norfolk in the early 70's.

'The Show That Never Ends', great Book (they may still have a few copies in the Barbican Book Shop in York - http://www.barbicanbookshop.co.uk/ ) says a lot, if not it all.

• RMweb Premium

Penlan said: .... and playing his accordion.

Memory fades but was it the Brown Cow a few years ago, and long before that the xyz, were Mike led some wonderful evenings based around folk music and rugby song sessions over the Easter weekend long ago?

Penlan - happy memories of "Bobby Shaftoe" played by the Captain on no less than Heartbeat- and some songs from the Lady Ann Middleton ( never attended the Yorvik) with the Captain.

very saddened to hear of Mikes passing, have known him over 20 years as a teenager who attended the normanton shows and watched him operate and demo, then as a club member and exhibition manager, thought it an honour when he asked me if i would consider being his floor manager a few years ago at york, sadly at the time other commitments resulted in me not being able to take the job, but was privileged he thought of me worthy to help him with york show. Feel ive lost a friend and mentor and an icon of this hobby of ours.

god bless.

Richard.

Sorry to hear the news about Mike. When I was a member of the Western Model Railway Society back in the 1980s we were invited to attend the exhibition with our German outline layout Akten Vohwinkle.

Great show with plenty of organised evening entertainment. Last night was a barn dance with a female troupe of morris dancers as part of the activites who really were very aggresive with the banging of the sticks and indeed a lump broke off one a hit my beer glass. I also remember the terrible hangover the next day. How I survived operating the layout, packing up and driving the van back to Acton in London, unloading and then going to work for a 6AM start the following day I don't know.

Thanks for a great show Mike!

May I offer my deepest sympathies to his family and friends. He will be deeply missed.

Both my Wife and I are deeply saddened by this news .. we finally joined the York community only this year but whenever commitments allowed York Show was a constant on our calendar as paying guests. I approached our first York with a certain amount of trepidation despite having been on the circuit for all but fifteen years by that time ... from start to finish I was roundly impressed by the spirit of all in Mike's team ... I asked if I could have a power supply and within five minutes three electricians had called at my stand :)

I well remember the warmth with which Mike's arrival onsite was greeted this year ... not many Exhibition Managers attract such affection I can tell you :)

Condolences

Nick & Joan Tozer

• RMweb Gold

Jen used to work with Mike behind the bar at the Spread Eagle, so I didn't meet him through railway modelling. He was always a gent, and we had quite a bit of banter in Suddaby's in Malton, and the following was posted by Kevin Holland:-

I've suggested that we have a 2 minute silence for Mike at our Ebor Morris New year dance out, followed by the Escrick Sword Dance. Mike inspired so many children to try longsword dancing.

Many strings to his bow, he'll be missed

• RMweb Gold

Two things -

1)

I've suggested that we have a 2 minute silence for Mike at our Ebor Morris New year dance out, followed by the Escrick Sword Dance
As an ex Ebor Morris man I think that is a good way to mark his passing, however perhaps the more modern way of the 2 minutes applause might be an even better tribute at a dance out..

2) Assuming no-one has any objections in the next day or so I intend to copy your tributes onto the Mike Cook tribute page I have set up on the YMRS website. If any member who uses a pseudonym on here would prefer that their true name be recorded instead can they PM me.

A few years ago I acquired the station buildings and coal drops from Mike's LNER (yes LNER!) exhibition layout "Sinnington" which featured in a number of articles in the Railway Modeller in early 1991. They have stood the test of time and now form an integral part of my own exhibition layout "Stainsby ". In a small way I suppose I have my own memorial to him.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found out about Mike's sad passing before Christmas. I met him only briefly once in the late 70s I would think. I look back on those shows in the Assembly Rooms as something magical, there was a real "atmosphere" of bonhomie at those shows that has never been recaptured at the racecourse. Though they are unmissable in a different way. We as fellow hobbyists in the North have much to be grateful for in what Mike achieved.

Thanks Mike for the great shows. Love and thoughts to those who knew him best, his family and friends.

• RMweb Gold

Apologies for the later update than usual for the YMRS website with details for 2012. I am back from a couple of breaks away from home for family events and therefore page updating is now in progress for the York MRS 2012 listings.

Commenced today with updated header and work on the layouts page listings, the Demonstrator & Society sections together with the all important Traders page. Further updates will be done over the next few days as time permits, known updates still to come include revisions to the travel page notes for both road and bus users.

Details will be sent to clubs by Peco at the beginning of February. Currently 'stuffing' the envolopes :scratchhead:

Peter

Still stuffing the envelopes !!!!!!!!! (well I will be when I have finished on the forum!)

Peter

Archived