York MRS 2012 (Includes Mike Cook tributes)

john new

I was surprised to see that, according to its own site, this years York show will not feature a P4, H0 or N American layout. Also, does anyone know if the Ebor Group's second hand stall will be there? It was missed last year.

To be fair, this year was always going to be a bit of an odd mix of layouts. Being the 50th show it was always planned by Mike Cook to feature as many as possible of his favourite layouts from the past (so balance is very much dependent on which of those layouts are still available!). Given his recent passing it is even more significant that theme should continue as a tribute to his stweardship over the last half century...

Paul

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A bit of housekeeping on the website with 24 pages updated. If you are coming on the show bus link from the Railway Station the information and times are updated. The driving to the show directions amended to reflect recent signposting changes. I've not yet updated the local roadworks info for any announced works over Easter and will post here when that is done nearer the show date. A few other tweaks also to come in next couple of days.

Hope to see you all at the Show and don't forget if you are planning to order any advance tickets you need to give us a clear week for posting them back to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Just under 4 weeks to go before the Show! Final preparations are now in hand. This Show will be a tribute to Mike Cook and promises to be a really interesting line up of layouts. Updates will be posted on the website.

Don't forget that the Show is NOT open to the public on Friday. We will be trying to set every thing up, but the doors open at 10.00am on the Saturday, unless you have advanced tickets and then you can get in via the 'other' door at 9.45am.

Look forward to seeing many RM Webbers there.

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Rail travel and the Road travel section information updated tonight to final for 2012 Show. For travel this year the usual mix of rail service changes but unless anything new is announced between now and the Show nothing too bad this year in way of roadworks to report. Final tweaks to the Show link bus times received from Bus Company which is better news regarding low floor buses.

Information on the site is now believed complete for the 2012 Show subject to any unexpected short notice changes.

If you are planning to book ahead the closing date for receipt of ticket requests is 28th March to give us time for posting them back to you. Also a reminder that three day weekender tickets are available but only as an advance purchase. (Save a 1/3rd if coming for the weekend - 3 days for price of 2)

• RMweb Gold

Final checks on website made today and no further updates anticipated between now and the Show.

Today's update - The road section of the How to get to York page given the final pre-show update for roadworks, fortunately nothing significant to report. The link to the Highways Agency 14 day upcoming roadworks list updated as the Agency had moved it!! . However if anyone is coming to York for a much longer holiday weekend break you should note the Queen is making a royal visit on Maundy Thursday with City centre road closures for the one day only.

Set my stall up this afternoon ... some great layouts already set up by the time I left and I'm praying or a Lotto win in time to buy Mike Cook's incredible NG layout and stock that is on display in the entrance foyer (and easily seen from the queue).

1st trip to York in 33ish years and as last time the train has failed at Newcastle, lol!

Initially promised a replacement set, but 2 platform changes later we're on a, now very crowded, following train.

All part of the fun, but the missus isn't impressed with my day out idea o far....

Angus

I visited York show today and was surprised by the lack of a queue to get in. The last several years on the first day opening has seen a large line up.

Good show though. Despite few 00 diesel layouts it was more than made up for with Copenhagen fields and several others.

I noticed the change on one of the higher floors with layouts replacing some traders across the back window.

Paul

I got to York as it opened and was also surprised by the small queue, however I noticed it had grown a bit after half an hour or so. First visit in 10 years and well worth it. Particularly enjoyed some of the demo's and was able to try a bit of coach lining that has convinced me I need a bow pen, ran out of spending money by then though.

All in all a great day out.

Jim

• RMweb Gold
I noticed the change on one of the higher floors with layouts replacing some traders across the back window.

Paul

Did you get as far as noticing we had moved all of fifteen feet towards the middle of the floor?

Archived