Thompson A2s - Bachmann rebuilds

Timara

I was watching the Youtube '1961 Great Northern main line' on the telly yesterday evening, which was pretty much all my boyhood ECML linesiding in one highly concentrated hit. Only the sounds missing, but I can do that in my head. And there's a filthy mauled mikado going by on a fitted freight. That's it, will have to get busy with one of the cheap Irish Elegances that Hattons were offering economically a couple of years past.

SWMBO picked up the wildly flapping wagon sheet poorly secured on a hybar in a fast freight, only a dozen miles after leaving KX goods, and asked how we were going to model that...

• 3 weeks later...

Three photos taken today just to show the finished loco with coal and crew (and a first coach). The overhead sun doesn't really show Tim's weathering job in its full glory but at least it is natural light. The depth of field could have been better as well if I'd had more time.

post-7112-0-29529400-1468152195_thumb.jpg

post-7112-0-26421300-1468152196_thumb.jpg

post-7112-0-10299700-1468152197_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

For those of you wanting to have an etched cab for an A2/3 derived from Graeme and Morgan's part's or a better-dimensioned cab to replace the DJH cab. I hope that  this will soon be available.

post-96-0-35143900-1480546472_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-52451400-1480546489_thumb.jpg

Availabliity of this plus Mr. King's resin opens up a set of possibilities for producing Thompson Pacifics using DJH Peppercorn A1 and A2 kits.

Since the Bachmann RTR models appeared these quite often appear on Ebay at very reasonable prices, and might well be an attractive option for those who prefer metal to plastic, and kit built chassis rather than RTR.

John.

Availabliity of this plus Mr. King's resin opens up a set of possibilities for producing Thompson Pacifics using DJH Peppercorn A1 and A2 kits.

Since the Bachmann RTR models appeared these quite often appear on Ebay at very reasonable prices, and might well be an attractive option for those who prefer metal to plastic, and kit built chassis rather than RTR....

....leading to a full etched kit? :jester:

....leading to a full etched kit? :jester:

My point was that there is a signifcant price disparity between the cost of a DJH Peppercorn A1 or A2, and their kit for an A2/3, because of the availability of the Bachmann RTR for the former.

I suspect a number of folk in any event have unbuilt A1 and A2 kits in the cupboard, not sure what to do with them given the quality of the RTR option, and use of the parts to make a Thompson item could be a useful and cost-effective course of action.

John.

I'm sorry if I've stirred up something, it wasn't intended.

My point is simply that some of the DJH Peppercorn A1 & A2 components seen to fit the bill for adaption to Thompson Pacifics. The A1 boiler/ firebox looks on the Isinglass drawing to suit an A2/2, the A2 kit could be adapted as per the Bachmann A2s seen on this thread to the A2/3, using the cab above, or Mr. Kings resin one, along with the front end parts. The Peppercorn tender is I think suitable for the A2/3, and posibly the A2/2 as well. No doubt a number of the smaller detailing components are also suitable for these locos.

I made the first post as I've been thinking for a while about how to utilise a kit for each that I have, along with a DJH A2/2 and A2/3 cab etch and A2 chassis parts and motion acquired in the sale they had some months ago. I haven't actually done anything about this, other than study the relevant Isinglass drawings, and indeed I'm not sure if Mr. Kings resin parts are still available, given the expansion of his range seen on the LNER forum.

John.

Further re the Bachmann A1/2

Cab is wrong on A1 and 2.

Tender,

The A1 smooth sided  tender could be used on some versions, but Hornby is much finer .

The A2 riveted type is suitable for A2/3 , the A2/2  I believe only used the non riveted type, again Hornby much better.

I have used the A2  Boiler for the A2/2 on two of my  models, no one has commented on the shape being wrong.

Graeme can comment on his resin parts availability.

Thanks for the comment Mick. Alternatives on the cab are covered by the etch above, possibly Mr. King's resin if available, or in my case the spare DJH etch I mentioned. I'll have to look out for Hornby tender bodies as you suggest.

My idea in principle on this matter came from post #1, page 1 of "Wright writes", which describes the assembly of an A2/2 from parts of other DJH kits. I'm totally confident that anything I do won't remotely match Mr. Wright's paragons, but it may nonetheless prove a way of usefully utilising two otherwise (for me) redundant kits, and be quite an interesting journey of exploration of loco classes long gone that I never saw.

John.

Archived