Thompson A2s - Bachmann rebuilds

Timara

Guest Max Stafford

Surprising what a difference that millimetre or two can make! Nevertheless, space constraints dictate that most of us have to live with non-prototypical curvature so the issue is largely an academic one for most.

Doesn't detract from the inconvenient truth though! :no:

Dave.

I'll edit this later once the upload facility isn't giving Andy a load of gyp........ Duly edited......

Here's how things currently stand with the cabside/tender side of things. If all goes well later, I *may* get the rest of the primer'd areas painted, but I'm not going to bust a gut for the sake of it! :)

post-6712-0-07319000-1327969513_thumb.jpg

And so there's how I'll leave it for this year...... ;)

Nice match of the Bachmann paint finish there - Will the K4 be next Tim :)

Happy New Year

Jon

Thanks Jon. The shades are very deceptive, as I've managed to be able to tell the difference fairly easily under very specific lighting conditions, but that's because I'm a picky s*d! :jester:

Hmmm K4..... Depends on what else comes my way first - I hear a rumbling of more Thompsons.......

Happy New Year to you too!! Hope to see those QSAs of yours in the flesh soon :).

Whilst I get "Sun Stream" to a stage where I can go and give it a spot of primer and then paint, the black and green paints have been out for final main bits of "Sun Castle". Having painted (by hand) the running plate valances, they both await a coat of Klear, followed by some orange lining to match the Bachmann finish. It may be that I go for a spot of bow-pen action and match colours that way........

post-6712-0-29188100-1325708116_thumb.jpg

The difference some black paint makes is rather amazing. I've also dealt with the cylinders and even added the front footsteps, though I need to check these will still go round 33" curves before I'm happy with them. Nameplates are on the way from Fox as they're sadly not yet in 247's range.

Must get the smokebox finished off so I can give that area a spot of black paint too........

Guest Belgian

I think you mean P2's... :D

Ooops . . . yes.

As a matter of interest, since I have only seen this thread on this forum, may I ask what the basis of each model is? I understand the sourcing of the cabs and the front-end 'bits', but is the original model a standard Bachmann Peppercorn A2? Also, what is the source of the valve gear/con rods etc?

Thanks

JE

Bachmann A2, utilising the boiler and smokebox, chassis from the front drivers backwards, and fitted with Graeme King resin components including a smokebox extension ring, chimney, front running plate (he also does the smoke deflectors and cab in resin, if required).

For the valve gear, Comet models V2 valve gear components are mixed with the original Bachmann A2 parts, and from reading back through this thread, DJH cab sides and smoke deflectors for this particular build, to make the whole. Which, in my opinion, is a superb rendition of the A2/3, and in my opinion the best rendition you can get ahead of the A2/3 kits on offer.

Tim

I am surprised you have added Smoke Deflectors before painting the Smokebox/Chimney or are they still removeable ?

Mick,

The boiler unit slides in behind.them. One of the plus points of Bachmann locos being modular!

As regards the overall model, I'm rather glad my original plan of using Margate mk2 A3 cabs didn't happen now. I still cannot thank Tony Wright enough for donating the etched parts from his spares (via Gilbert).

Cheers,

Mick,

The boiler unit slides in behind.them. One of the plus points of Bachmann locos being modular!

Cheers,

I thought you had fixed the defectors to the smokebox supports hence my query!!

I have another one to do as a A2/3 which should be a lot easier than the A2/2 !! how have you fixed the defectors to the footplate ?

I thought you had fixed the defectors to the smokebox supports hence my query!!

I have another one to do as a A2/3 which should be a lot easier than the A2/2 !! how have you fixed the defectors to the footplate ?

I had hoped I'd explained it clearly enough in my first post of this topic, but never mind! ^_^

I'll be posting up a few more pics to show how things fit later today. There are a lot of bitty bits to show, but things should in theory become clearer once they're up.

Cheers,

There has been a clear interest in these Thompson machines for a few years now on here and on other forums, so it beggars belief that the main plastic RTR manufacturers continue to ignore them. Anyway, well done Tim, Mickler, S A C Martin and others for keeping the dream alive. :good:

There has been a clear interest in these Thompson machines for a few years now on here and on other forums, so it beggars belief that the main plastic RTR manufacturers continue to ignore them. Anyway, well done Tim, Mickler, S A C Martin and others for keeping the dream alive. :good:

I still think it highly unlikely we'll get an actual RTR model of one of these for some considerable time to come, if at all. Not wishing to turn this into a debate of "will we, won't we?" but when you look at simple economics, there are only "so many" LNER pacifics that will actually sell in significant numbers to be viable as a model. Hornby have three and Bachmann have two, which they will both consider as being "ample".

As think it more than likely that as this has probably been read by people from the "big two", the resin parts conversion method will probably stand for a while yet. That'll please Graeme :).

Anyway, it's modelling, which is what this hobby is all about. :jester:

I don't think you're entirely wrong Tim, but as it stands with the "modeller's hat" on - anyone who models Eastern, North Eastern, or even Scottish sections of the ex-LNER lines in British Railways days will have to have at least one, if not two or three (or as I have discovered, FIVE for Copley Hill in 1949) of any from classes A2/1, A2/2, A2/3 (or even A1/1 as it did get moved around a fair bit in the late 40s early 50s) for an "accurate" (I use the term loosely) depiction of their time.

The same argument could be applied to the Great Western 4-6-0s and yet at last count, all except the Saint and Star (both previously available I think?) are currently available in various forms, ready to run.

The oft-repeated argument against the Thompson Pacifics is wheelbase getting round trainset curves - mine regularly gets round second radius and first in less than ideal circumstances without fuss. Hurdle number one, covered completely. The second argument is that there weren't enough of them, and yes that is true. But if obscure diesel prototypes and a small class of Beattie Well Tanks can be produced and be viable for sale, there's no doubt in my mind that a run of Thompson A2/3 Pacifics will be just as viable.

After all - look at the names! Some stonking ones in there. Apple green and named - well, it always sells, doesn't it...?! ;) Add to that the important LNER fully lined out livery which always, and I mean always, sells...!

Would the other Thompson Pacifics sell? I would argue that the A2/2s are too varied in some respects for their forms, the A2/1s too small in number and too obscure and the A1/1, whilst having a manufacturer's dream of so many different liveries to cover, too hated (and more's the pity, it's a handsome, purposeful machine in my opinion).

But I'll clam up now and admire your handiwork instead of jabbering on! :)

Some constructional aspect images to help with showing how these particular models have been worked on.

The cab is fixed to the firebox using some Araldite. A nice secure join is arrived at and the excess trimmed off on the outside while still tacky.

post-6712-0-09364400-1325768273_thumb.jpg

The modified backhead. Very little needed to be hacked off to allow the front of the cab to fit in, but it does help to add a bit of extra weight. Note the areas where metal has had to be removed on the running plate.

post-6712-0-40926500-1325768166_thumb.jpg

Now for the mounting of the deflectors. Two short lengths of 2mm L angle are soldered to the base (much like the mount of the real things) and then fixed with superglue and some accelerant. They're not going to budge any time soon! Once the smokebox is fed in between them, the securing brackets will be fixed to the upper inside of them and likewise the forward brackets.

post-6712-0-10125300-1325768131_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-99503500-1325768828_thumb.jpg

I too loved the A2/3's, and most LNER names still make the hairs on the back of my neck and my arms rise.

A lot were racehorse names, but somehow fit the huge locos they were attached to.

It's interesting to research some of the names too....

I have to say it Tim, but IMO these are going to be the finest 4mm Thompson A2/3s to date! Really well done mate.....although you have me to thank for suggesting you do one in the first place! :P In all seriousness mate, these two lined up together....in their contrasting conditions are going to be a a sight for sore eyes! :D

Archived