Thompson A2s - Bachmann rebuilds

Timara

Lovely, just lovely. You have absolutely caught the 'essence' of these locomotives and the photographs taken under the winter sun really do them justice. People talk about them being ungainly, even ugly but how far would we travel to see 60515 or 60523 if either, or both, were still around and still working?

Cheers

Mike

Second pair.... This was actually the first shot taken to get a feel of the richness of the green.

post-6712-0-56451600-1326458039_thumb.jpg

I couldn't resist a nice side on shot - the light was just right!

post-6712-0-67452200-1326458126_thumb.jpg

Now to go and fit that pesky AWS conduit to the LHS running plate valance..... :roll:

How ANYONE can say these machines wouldn't sell in RTR us beyond me when they can look just so damn handsome with a decent amount of weathering, and a talented painter. Well done Tim - absolutely real there! :)

Hi Tim

Brilliant that's all I can say regarding the new set of photos taken in natural sunlight.

May I ask how did you weather along the top of Sun Castle's boiler, was it using weathering powders or by airbrush and if weathering powders did you seal it at all as it looks very realistic indeed.

Regards

David

Lovely, just lovely. You have absolutely caught the 'essence' of these locomotives and the photographs taken under the winter sun really do them justice. People talk about them being ungainly, even ugly but how far would we travel to see 60515 or 60523 if either, or both, were still around and still working?

That's a very good point you know. I've often wondered myself, but it might have softened the opinions a bit, had one been saved.

May I ask how did you weather along the top of Sun Castle's boiler, was it using weathering powders or by airbrush and if weathering powders did you seal it at all as it looks very realistic indeed.

Yes of course - I used Humbrol Metalcote Gunmetal, thinned, in the airbrush and merely gave it a waft across the top after the Klear had dried. Before adding the Klear, I'd already given it a little bit of dirt using the same stuff, though with a hint of matt leather and black added to the gunky mix. :)

Tim, you don't need me to add anything here - it's already been said. Very, very nice. Now, whilst your doing Thompson Pacifics, how about an A2/2 :imsohappy:

Depends if I'm asked!! :jester: Oh and depends on what livery too.... ;)

Nice work Tim well done.

I have just started on Chamossaire which will be in LNER Green. I have already done a couple of A2/2 on my workbench thread they are a lot more work than the A2/3 as you need to create a new Cab and Tender as well as the mods done by Tim

Nice work Tim well done.

I have just started on Chamossaire which will be in LNER Green. I have already done a couple of A2/2 on my workbench thread they are a lot more work than the A2/3 as you need to create a new Cab and Tender as well as the mods done by Tim

Thanks for the link... just been there. All I'll say is Wow :O . Superb. Hmmm. Maybe I should give up now..., no, I'll take the posts as insprational. Crikey, the east coast had some splendid machines didn't they!

J

Magnificent Tim! And I thought your Stanier Pacific's standard could'nt be matched-I was wrong!! :scratchhead: :sungum:

Oh I dunno about that... There's always 'City of Nottingham' for me to finish off when I get the time :drag:. It's awaiting black, having already done the red......

I used to watch the A2s passing Copley Hill sheds while entering and leaving Leeds Central between 1958 and 1963. I loved them then and still do. Disgusting? You should have been there.......

And Tim, I really like what you're doing - your modelling brings back memories of the real thing very vividly.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Three days lecturing in Cardiff, and a long drive back this evening, and I come home to this. :biggrin_mini2: :imsohappy: I realised very early on that these locos were going to be good, and not long after it became clear that they were going to be very good. Those daylight photos however take the whole thing to a new level. It really is superb Tim, both in build quality and in looks, and the subtle weathering just captures the feel of a well cleaned but in service locomotive. Coachmann sums it up - best A2/3 yet, and I shall be very fortunate to own her. And two of them just spoils me something rotten. :D Roll on Wednesday.

How ANYONE can say these machines wouldn't sell in RTR us beyond me when they can look just so damn handsome with a decent amount of weathering, and a talented painter. Well done Tim - absolutely real there! :)

To my GW-trained eyes the prototype is compellingly ugly to the extent that it makes the Flying Pig look good. It's not just the paint job and weathering that makes Tim's model look as it does - it is the sourcing of the correct parts and the careful work involved in putting them together. As with his Stanier Mogul - which visitors to St Albans this weekend will be able to see, I'm told - he has MADE A MODEL. Sadly to some this is an unfamiliar concept. Opening boxes is easy - with the possible exception of some Hornby or Bachmann boxes, too easy. A loco like this is not so easy but, surely, so much more satisfying.

Chris

Guest Max Stafford

True, Chris. I personally find that taking a bit of RTR and re-forging it into something different is hugely satisfying. I'm intending to do at least one of these conversions in the near future and have some considerable mischief planned for a Hornby D49 also!

Dave.

True, Chris. I personally find that taking a bit of RTR and re-forging it into something different is hugely satisfying. I'm intending to do at least one of these conversions in the near future and have some considerable mischief planned for a Hornby D49 also!

Dave.

Spot on there Dave! The comments at St Albans show this weekend were rather interesting regarding 60523 (it's had a play/brief leg-stretch on WVY) and these conversions are certainly having an effect. Couldn't obtain a set of V2 valve gear as Geoff had run out yesterday, all down to others having a go (and damn good thing too!).

I wonder how long it'll be before I can call "house" for all 15......

If only I could get hold of the D49s as raw material! Now Larry's made it explicit in his thread on the breed that 49/1s have the shortbread factor, I'm planning to be a nuisance to a couple of these, thus resetting the start of my WR epoch back at 1961. It's these couple of threads that have reminded me about the delights of RTR surgery. Never before embarked on any pre-diesel subjects, but now the clock's ticking.

Archived