Barkham Green GWR OO Layout

vulcanbomber

Yes I brought the Superquick cottages kit and then remodelled them in plastic

This is a very good idea. It's just like using plans.....but better....

Maybe "someone" should suggest it to one of the Magazines.

Ideas like this deserve a wider circulation....

Well now the cottages are almost finished except for the gardens. I have made a start on my my next set of buildings

In the process I have discovered a new aid to doing the buildings my wife's Nexus 7 tablet

I am copying an idea from the web and in the past if I have wanted to look at  drawings I have had to either print them off, or run down stairs to consult the PC.

Now I can look at the Nexus 7 whilst doing modelling with one BIG plus however. I have realized that you can blow a pic up on the screen, by using the two finger pinch method, and therefore look closely at any small details, this is something you can't do on a PC

• 2 weeks later...

post-254-0-04732200-1383755267.jpg

Final part of the jigsaw slots into place

This is thanks to Alan Downes and the plans he posted, as you can probably see it is the forge and wheelwright combined with slight modifications

Also the shops around the market square are starting to come together

post-254-0-21961300-1383755277.jpg

post-254-0-45029100-1383755284.jpg

post-254-0-33606600-1383755292.jpg

Overall view of how it all looks with the last bit of the jigsaw slotted in

post-254-0-89915900-1383755303.jpg

post-254-0-74538100-1383755311.jpg

• Like 4

Been having second thoughts about building placing

In pic 1 below I feel the forge is too close to the pub, let alone fire risk from chimney with thatch

post-254-0-71817200-1383767532.jpg

In Pic 2 I've moved the forge to the left, A stone wall is going at the edge of the pub diorama to hide the join andf it means there is alot of wasted ground between the forge and the wall

post-254-0-15258000-1383767572.jpg

IN pic 3 I 've moved the building to the back and by luck they fit exactly, only prob is that there is going to be a very big yard as a result

post-254-0-38829300-1383767591.jpg

What do you think?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well sometimes in this hobby it's one two steps forward and one back

Since Christmas I've been installing a new computer running UBUNTU and a new version of Rocrail
I got the computer up and running and Rocrail installed and all of the sensors and point motors on the plan, but then I hit a bad short.

When I originally built the layout I divided into separate power districts for just this event.

HOWEVER as the layout evolved I allowed the track to cross these power districts without a break in it!
So now I having a big job doing some re-wiring to re-establish sections which can be isolated to locate the short

Well I found the short in the end
I had parked a loco too close to the wrong side of a point and eventually the vibration from other locos passing by, had moved it forward enough short out on the frog, that took some finding though
As a result of having to isolate sections of track from the bus to find the fault I am going for another approach to connecting dropper wires to the bus. Many years ago when I worked in electronics we used to do a lot of wire wrapping and I am trying the same approach, stripping the wire and wrapping it tightly around the exposed bus wire. I've done one section so far and we see how it lasts, but it does make it easier to isolate sections

However not an approach I would recommend for a portable layout

• 2 weeks later...

Hit another problem with the Computer control; this week which may be of interest to others.

As you know only the UP loop is controlled automatically by the computer and I have been working this week on setting up the schedules and routes.

The entranced to LOOPS 4,5 & 6 inc are controlled by SEEP Point motors using a Digitrax DS52 Decoder, the exit one are tortoise motors.

Well selecting either LOOP 4, 5 or 6 worked fine on the computer screen using the mouse, but when controlled automatically with the computer selecting routes, it would only intermittently select the right route.

In the end I decided that the computer was firing the the decoder to fast after the first one point motor and the capacitors hadn't been given time to charge. I tried build a delay in to the program without success.

Because this part of the layoutis out of sight and such a pinch point on the layout, I've decided to buy an NCE snap decoder and allocate each of the point motors it's own decoder

Just awaiting delivery now

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The weather has changed and so the garden and allotment has been taking most of my time recently

However some work has been done on the shops for the market square

post-254-0-29281800-1397155218.jpg

An overall view of the 5 facades which have been finished to first stage so far. The sign on the post office is straight' it's an optical illusion

No glazing has been fitted yet.

There is one more shop to be created in the right hand corner.

post-254-0-73775300-1397155206.jpg

The Post Office, book shop and what will be a sweetshop

post-254-0-20366800-1397155195.jpg

Again the camera is making the top part of the florist look crooked but it is straight

• 2 weeks later...

Had some rain the last few days so got a break from allotment and garden

post-254-0-27995400-1398341975.jpg

The pub gets a garden and some drinkers. Must remove static grass from drinkers hat!

post-254-0-06260300-1398341989.jpg

The post office gets it's windows and shop display

post-254-0-74875300-1398342003_thumb.jpg

The bookshop gets it's glazing and a roof

Not sure about the angles on the post office roof, what do you think?

• Like 3