Barkham Green GWR OO Layout

vulcanbomber

I painted the seats and added passengers. I did try adding pictures to the compartment divides but you can't see them through the small windows, in the same way you can't pick out any details on the people, unlike with the autocoach, where you can  quite clearly see who is who. The other big improvements I feel is painting the drop lights and the roof black grey

Edited by vulcanbomber
added painting roof
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Richard,

I have only just got to read your thread.

It is of great interest to me as I have a similar space to you (mine is 12ft x 8ft) and my layout is also (G)WR (c1960/2).

Well done, you are well ahead of me, partly because I have to depend on others for my baseboards, track laying and electrics as I know from past experience my skills in these areas are not great, and are not increasing with age, being 71 years young!

Straight forward kits for wagons and coaches I can manage and I have someone who can do more complex items and especially  painting and weathering for me. I can also deal with scenery , buildings etc.

Construction of my layout, which I have only had space for since moving to our current house three years ago, should have started this week but the virus has put pay to that so I am currently working on a simple version of part of my plan on boards I already have.

My layout thread is "Lower Thames Yard", the layout inspired by the High Wycombe branch and relief lines at Maidenhead.

The simple layout is called "Lower Thames Goods Yard", and is detailed on the above thread. The plan is that the buildings from this can be reused on "Lower Thames Yard".

Keep up the good work!

Stay safe,

Best regards

Paul

21 hours ago, vulcanbomber said:

Paul thanks for your response and best of luck with your layout, if you really want inspiration have a look at Little Muddle

Richard

Yes, Richard I agree. Little Muddle is often the first thread that I look at each day!

• Thanks 1

My next project is to add some signals to the layout

IMG_20200503_171358.jpg.58c0abd498136612832abcd1309c644a.jpg

Thought I would build a test bed to try them out first

IMG_20200503_171434.jpg.55663776caa70ddd831e16462de91f91.jpg

IMG_20200503_171508.jpg.86475fd5cd8f834d100b0e77e311face.jpg

Had no problems with the 2 home signals and have decided to power them from a separate 9V battery. Interestingly the bracket signal comes with supplied switches, the home signals don't, so something else to buy

However the bracket signal is a different problem.

1. The hole size required is 15mm not 14mm for the home signals, which is a bit of a pain since I only brought a 14mm drill bit, therefore means I will have to do a bit of filing.

2. You notice I have not actually tested it. This is because on reading the instructions, it told you how to fit the base unit to the signal and to check it clicked into place, However no where does it tell you how to remove it!

Did a search on Rmweb and discovered  Checkrail problem on Stoke Courtenay. So for the moment have decided to play safe and not test the bracket signal before adding it layout, which I can't say I'm happy about because there are settings you can adjust on the base unit and it is easier to do on the bench.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Right I have one more home signal to place

Am I putting it in the right place to control exit from Platform 2  which is a bay?

I should be able to fit another signal in same place for platform 1 eventually,  when I have some more funds. Although drilling the hole will be fun!

Will I need another signal eventually for the line to the gasworks?

IMG_20200504_202022.jpg.629a6452da9112ca8b8ad7ecdb15af78.jpg

• Like 5

Decided to fit the signal for platform 1. It's situated on the baseboard edge and involved quite a bit of carpentry to get it fitted. Also I didn't want to risk damaging any signal for platform 2 when leaning over the baseboard

IMG_20200505_155105.jpg.bdae79c8400c7939c6c7c0f88cd1d942.jpg

Because they don't supply switched with this type, I m waiting for a delivery before installing the control panel. I'm crossing my fingers that the wires from the gantry signal will  be long enough.

I'v spotted another job straightening up the station name board, although I'm thinking I might replace them with something more posh.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 4 weeks later...

Went for using flock in the end, then spent an hour sitting on the patio carefully gluing each clump of flowers on.

After seeing this will probably add a water crane at the other end of the platform. 

IMG_20200528_142428.jpg.76bcb9c02968ce7d5de7e461ed4a90d2.jpg

IMG_20200528_142736.jpg.992114b9f7192a966f0ca10329e72b14.jpg

Of course having done this I need to do the other platform. However I never added a named side for the goods line, and perhaps now would be a good time to do it.

So I need to purchase another sign kit. However since were purchased for the first version of Barkham Green many ages ago and I no longer know if they are still made.,anyone got any useful info on this?

Edited by vulcanbomber
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I couldn't finish the Water crane painting owing to my Precision Paints No.1 Stone having dried up and the impossibility of getting a new tin at the moment with out paying a fortune.

So just imagine the grey is stone No. 1.

Also shows how the end of platforms 4 & 5 has changed with addition of loading gauge signals, new running board and new platform lights.

Will eventually get some crew for the Dean Goods!

IMG_20200610_162352.jpg.061b707e8d33e9db9d564c9d64ad79a5.jpg

Wonder what's in that Packing Case?

IMG_20200610_162416.jpg.e3929542a2638047fa80aed13babdf33.jpg

Edited by vulcanbomber
  • Like 6

18 hours ago, vulcanbomber said:

Finally got around to adding crew to some locos, used one's from Dart Castings, don't see the need to spend a lot of money on Model3U one's since you see very little of them.

136406.jpg.7ef0031179f76d3dc29c77f2d25b81c8.jpg

136407.jpg.2061b28b20fb16d7e6125abce0d39c4d.jpg

I do like these little locos - they're so full of character.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...