NCC UTA and GNRI resources

carlislecitadel

One of the biggest problems in modelling railways in Ulster is getting hold of decent reference information. While there are books on GNRI, UTA and NCC locos and DMUs, good drawings, particularly of wagons and coaches are harder to come by. It is only in the in the last 12 months that I found out that the wagon diagram drawings still existed for the NCC and the GNRI and have fortunately been able to get copies of these. NCC coaching stock drawings also exist but I have only found a few for the GNRI. In addition, to help with building models, good photos of rolling stock are required but they are also thin on the ground. Most shots are only of a vague shape in the backround of a loco photo or are taken at 3/4 view so detail is not clear. Ideally books similar to the LMS and LNER wagon and coaches by Tatlow, Essery, Jenkinson etc., are needed. If enough people can post links to useful photos or drawings and are willing to share them here, maybe we could start to pull together a useful web based resource.

To start the ball rolling, I can pass on drawings for wagons for NCC and UTA stock to anyone who PMs me. I've also added in these links to photos on Flickr which may be of use.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/sets/72157626213785567/with/5555611400/ - 7 nice shots of NCC locos in 1936 from 53a

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/sets/72157626756740602/with/5957461276/ - loads of photos from Ernires railway archive of GNRI and NCC locos and locations, with the odd wagon shown clearly in the background

I'm sure there must be many hidden gems out there in other RMWebber's personal collections and other websites. Please feel free to add to the above start.

Citadel,

I have recently had this discussion on the other Irish railway modelling website http://irishrailwaymodeller.yuku.com/topic/723/Handbrakes?page=1 . This is an old and well known problem and the relatively small number of interested enthusiasts makes book publishing a margin enterprise. The simple advice for anyone taking up modelling of Irish railways is to get in touch with Alan O'Rourke, the editor of New Irish Lines and who is very interested in all drawings, photographs and reference material related to Irish railways. He has accumulated quite a collection of material and through his contacts can give good advice about whom you should contact for specific subjects. You can find some examples of NIL here http://newirishlines.org/ .

The Ulster Folk and Transport Museum may be able to help, with rolling stock drawings, I have a UFTM drawing register from the 1990s which includes BCDR, CDJR, GNR, NCC coaching and wagon stock and even UTA railcars.

Send me a pm if you are looking for a copy of the GNR list.

John

The Ulster Folk and Transport Museum may be able to help, with rolling stock drawings, I have a UFTM drawing register from the 1990s which includes BCDR, CDJR, GNR, NCC coaching and wagon stock and even UTA railcars.

Send me a pm if you are looking for a copy of the GNR list.

John

I also have this list, I assume it is the same one, and obtained all the NCC drawings listed, plus a number of GNR drawings. However, a number of years ago I was able to access the UFTM archive and found quite a few NCC drawings that were not on the list. Presumably the same would apply to GNR drawings, although I was not looking for them at the time.

Anyone interested in copies of the GNR drawings, just send me a PM for a list of what I have, and I can copy any drawings required and e-mail them.

David

• 3 weeks later...

Two sources I've found are the Louth County Archives which have a vast collection from Paddy Malon. I've not seen them myself, but keep promising when I'm in Ireland to escape from the in-laws for a day.

The other source is Manchester Science museum, MOSI.this has a large collection of Beyer Peacock photos and works drawings of GNRi engines. I have got a copy of the works drawing for a GNRi "C"-class 0-6-0 which I have ambitions of modelling as I think it's quite a "pretty" locomotive

Geoff

the link is :

http://www.louthnewryarchives.ie/online-catalogue/index.shtml

but acces to the archive seems to be donw tonight.

The Paddy Malon collection is catalogued as PP00206 - so search on this and you get a lot of references / files.

The raw material is not online, so you need to go to the archives and just plough through the drawings etc.. I think Paddy Malon was an engineer at the works and collected a lot data. some of the lots are bundled drawings, so lots have smaller number of items in them , so they are better decsribed.

A visit is probably best, they reply quite quickly by email, but I've not yet managed a visit

Geoff

Archived