Model trains wheel slipping

Hello

Today many of my single drive bogied Hornby models (pendolino,class87) have been wheel slipping over some track on my layout there is a join there between the two boards.And this has only started today. Am thinking of replacing the track but would that slove the issue?

Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

By the way i mean wheel slipping not clipping typing error.Sorry.

I don't know if English is your first language or not but there are a few spelling issues throughout, not just the clipping.

As to your wheels slipping, have you tried cleaning the offending track/wheels first? There may be some oil that's causing the slip to occur.

Well they would do, as theres no load. If you've been oiling, and you got some on the traction tyres, the rubber soaks up the oil and ruins it, making it very slippy. You could try soaking the tyres in iso, but I have no idea if that would not wreck them or not.

Well they would do, as theres no load. If you've been oiling, and you got some on the traction tyres, the rubber soaks up the oil and ruins it, making it very slippy. You could try soaking the tyres in iso, but I have no idea if that would not wreck them or not.

So am i best buying new traction tyres and also my Heljan class 86 was running on the track with out a problem but could the oil effect this aswell?

Sounds to me like you must have oil residue on the track if the Hlejan loco is slipping too. Before buying anything you need to make sure everything (wheels, and track) is completely oil free and dry. No point fitting new traction tyres if they are going to get oiled up straight away.

you need a cloth, damp a bit of it with the Iso, and wipe over the track. You might have to dip ear buds in it to clean off the wheels. Dont get splashing it around, its not very nice stuff.

Could the iso damage the trains moter or effect its running if a out a bit on ear buds and into my weels.

Could the iso damage the trains moter or effect its running if a out a bit on ear buds and into my weels.

If memory serves it is quite a potent solvent so will evaporate fairly quickly, just don't apply it by the bucket load, as folks have said, dig a cotton bud in it and apply it to the track, then wipe it up, same with the wheels, it will only affect motors if you get a large amount into the motor.

To avoid the same thing happening again, if you buy a little pot of watch oil from Eileens Emporium and they apply a small drop with the end of a cocktail stick to the parts of the motion/motor you want to oil, then leave the model sat on some kitchen roll for a couple of days in case anything escapes. Over oiling is a common cause of model railway problems, especially motors where the excess oil attracts dust and fluff.

All the above it is worth mentioning is the reason why many of us detest the traction tyre. Good drive designs are now available which place a lot of weight on an all wheel drive chassis, such as in the Heljan 86 mentioned. These are far more reliable in tractive perfomance and current collection, and have none of the dirt and deterioration problems associated with the little rubbery things...

The moral of the story is very much to use oil only when and where it is required and in very very small amounts.

The second moral is to avoid traction tyres (if we all did then perhaps the manufacturer's would take the hint and stop using them).

BTW the cloth for applying IPA should be lint free - a J cloth or similar other brand works well. As for track rubbers the best advice is sadly too late as you have already used one.

Don't forget to go through all of your stock and clean their wheels (not just locos) as the oil will have distributed itself over all their wheels. Put it down to a simple lesson learned.

Ian, just a word of caution, ispropyl alcohol is indeed magic stuff but try not to get any on the paintwork of your locos. It is a solvent and it will remove paint, make sure there is none on your hands when handling the locos and stock!

Geoff.

Archived