Model trains wheel slipping

Ian, just a word of caution, ispropyl alcohol is indeed magic stuff but try not to get any on the paintwork of your locos. It is a solvent and it will remove paint, make sure there is none on your hands when handling the locos and stock!

Geoff.

So if i get some on the bogies it will strip the black paint off.

The best way to clean the wheels is with a cotton bud with a little Iso propyl alcohol on the bud. The run the bud around the wheels. As has been said earlier, the iso propyl alcohol will evaporate quite quickly, so once cleaned, just leave the loco & stock in a warm room for an hour, and the alcohol will have evaporated. Same with the track - wipe it with a J cloth with a little alcohol on the cloth and leave it to dry for an hour. You can then check the track by running your finger along the track - if it still oily, you will get some of the oil on your finger. With clean track, your finger will also be clean.

Also could i just dip the traction tyres into the iso and would that clean them?

It might work but I wouldnt advise it. The alcohol would remove the oil from the tyres, but might also start to dissolve the tyres, or at least make them swell and possibly then go very sticky, which might then leave even worse deposits of sticky tyre remnants on your track! If you really want to try this, then dip a single tyre into the alcohol for about 5 minutes, then remove it, wipe it down with a J cloth, and leave to dry. As alcohol might have soaked into the tyre, leave it a few hours then check it over to see if it is clean and not swollen or sticky etc.

It might work but I wouldnt advise it. The alcohol would remove the oil from the tyres, but might also start to dissolve the tyres, or at least make them swell and possibly then go very sticky, which might then leave even worse deposits of sticky tyre remnants on your track! If you really want to try this, then dip a single tyre into the alcohol for about 5 minutes, then remove it, wipe it down with a J cloth, and leave to dry. As alcohol might have soaked into the tyre, leave it a few hours then check it over to see if it is clean and not swollen or sticky etc.

Ok then i will have to get new traction tyres.

Guest 40-something

The easiest way to turn the driven wheels is to apply power to the trailing wheelsets and use a low setting on your controller, failing that remove the motor bogie from the shell and also the frame from the bogie, this will give you access to the complete wheel tread. For the non-powered wheels, just turn them by hand

The easiest way to turn the driven wheels is to apply power to the trailing wheelsets and use a low setting on your controller, failing that remove the motor bogie from the shell and also the frame from the bogie, this will give you access to the complete wheel tread. For the non-powered wheels, just turn them by hand

Thanks. The only problem is that i dont know how to remove the moter bogie off the pendolino so i will have to take the shell of instead same with the class 87.

Archived